GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

iannis

Musty Nester
That rains of castamere is extremely awkward. I mean Cersi's exposition was akward but I wasn't even rustled over that. Cersi's exposition is usually awkard, like in blackwater when she was in the woman-room with Sansha. She's about to lose her precious little boy to that whore, and she's being forced to marry a faggot half her age. A little PMS and a bitchslap is acceptable.

I mean the name itself is awkward. House Rain of Castamere? What the deuce. If anything it should be House Castamere and the rains mourn them and wash away their name. It's just an awkward reverse of a standard formula.

I'm so raged. What is this, amateur hour? I wanna be a non-conformist too!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This is the spoiler thread, Iannis have you read the books?

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/...s_of_Castamere

Origins

The red lion of Reyne confronts the golden lion of Lannister
The Rains of Castamere immortalized the destruction of House Reyne by Tywin Lannister. House Reyne was obliterated after they rebelled against their liege lord, Tytos Lannister, who was perceived as weak by his own vassals. To restore Lannister dominance, Tytos' son, Tywin, marched against the upstart Lord Reyne. By the end of the rebellion, Castamere had been put to the torch and all members of House Reyne executed. The title is thus a play on words, as the "rains" fall over the empty halls of the "Reynes" who have been killed to the last man.[1]
The lyrics heavily reference the fact that the sigil of House Reyne was also a lion, but a red one instead of the golden lion used as the sigil of House Lannister. The rebellion of the Reynes against the Lannisters was thus seen as a clash of lions.

In the decades since young Tywin reasserted House Lannister's dominance by crushing the Reynes, The Rains of Castemere went on to become very popular with soldiers of the Westerlands, becoming an "anthem" of sorts for House Lannister. This extends to the point that even Western soldiers sometimes refer to it simply as, "the Lannister song".[2]

Lyrics
And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that Lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, The Rains of Castamere was composed after Tywin Lannister's victory over their rebellious bannermen: House Reyne of Castamere and the ancient House Tarbeck of Tarbeck Hall. Lord Tytos Lannister, Tywin's father, had been a kind but weak ruler. He loaned money to lords who never bothered to repay him and his vassals openly ignored his orders and mocked him in court. When Lord Reyne, known as the Red Lion of Castamere, and Lady Ellyn Tarbeck rose in rebellion, Tywin took it upon himself to deal with the rebellion and wiped out both of the upstart lords, their families and households and put their seats of power to the torch.
Later when another lord and Tywin Lannister had a disagreement over a matter, Tywin Lannister's reply was a minstrel sent with a harp to play the song to this lord who immediately changed his mind and complied.

It is noted as being one of the few songs that the stern Tywin Lannister seems to enjoy, as he is fond of the lyrics.

On a side note, I'd love to see a short story from Martin centered on Tywin and relaying this entire part of the lore. Would be a good excuse to expound a bit more on Tywin's background and character. In my opinion, Tywin is one of the most compelling characters in the books, I still feel like the end of Book 3 comes close to the epicness and quality of a modern Greek style tragedy.

iannis

Musty Nester
Nah, I haven't read them. I've read parts here and there. Honestly his writing style aggravates me. It's not a comment on the content. If Willam Gibson wrote a 10,000+ page book, I'd give that shit a big no thank you as well.

Too much effort. I'd rather play with my ding dong while watching the teevee and call you guys nerds.

But c'mon. Do you really not see the /golfclap pun he built that around?

Fadaar

That guy
My sister sent me this and I felt like sharing it:

9Qs06UD.gif

Fadaar

That guy
Series is going to end with Hodor on the throne by himself with bodies all around him (like Sandal in Dragon Age -- if you've played it, you know exactly what I'm talking about). He's going to look right at the camera and......... "Hodor". Fade to black, fin.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
On a side note, I'd love to see a short story from Martin centered on Tywin and relaying this entire part of the lore. Would be a good excuse to expound a bit more on Tywin's background and character. In my opinion, Tywin is one of the most compelling characters in the books, I still feel like the end of Book 3 comes close to the epicness and quality of a modern Greek style tragedy.
God yes! Thats one of the few side-projects that I would not be upset to hear Martin was working on, aside from the new books. Ok, maybe a little upset, but it would still be awesome.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Nah, I haven't read them. I've read parts here and there. Honestly his writing style aggravates me. It's not a comment on the content. If Willam Gibson wrote a 10,000+ page book, I'd give that shit a big no thank you as well.

Too much effort. I'd rather play with my ding dong while watching the teevee and call you guys nerds.

But c'mon. Do you really not see the /golfclap pun he built that around?
Really? I find his writing to be pretty much some of the tighest (first three books, things get a little looser in 4 and 5 I'll admit I had a tough time finishing 4 after how just incredible I think book 3 is) I've ever read from modern authors, really. Because he worked in TV and learned to excise and edit and cut and parse sentences down in masterful form. I really appreciate the efforts of a good editor after trying to read Robert Jordan's books over two decades and never succeeding in getting past book 6.

Its definitely an intentional pun, I just think it works with the literature/story well in the books. It was admittedly a bit ham handed the way they keep putting it into the show, but the way its handled in the books, I think, is done much better.

As an aside on time investment on reading the series, I literally read the whole thing in short 5 minute bursts in between classes on my ipad, its the only way I have time to read for entertainment with all the reading I have to do for my classes every day. Kindle saved me from never reading a book for entertainment/pleasure again.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Hodor was part of my favorite moment this season. Osha is complaining about Meera and Jojen for like a good 2-3 minutes while her and Hodor are gather wood or something. She is just going on and on and she finally looks up and Hodor just looks at her and says "Hodor" and gives her a look like well what else did you expect me to say. That shit had me cracking up.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Series is going to end with Hodor on the throne by himself with bodies all around him (like Sandal in Dragon Age -- if you've played it, you know exactly what I'm talking about). He's going to look right at the camera and......... "Hodor". Fade to black, fin.
Ban this fucker, just spoiled the entire book series for everyone here!

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is the spoiler thread, Iannis have you read the books?

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/...s_of_Castamere

Origins

The red lion of Reyne confronts the golden lion of Lannister
The Rains of Castamere immortalized the destruction of House Reyne by Tywin Lannister. House Reyne was obliterated after they rebelled against their liege lord, Tytos Lannister, who was perceived as weak by his own vassals. To restore Lannister dominance, Tytos' son, Tywin, marched against the upstart Lord Reyne. By the end of the rebellion, Castamere had been put to the torch and all members of House Reyne executed. The title is thus a play on words, as the "rains" fall over the empty halls of the "Reynes" who have been killed to the last man.[1]
The lyrics heavily reference the fact that the sigil of House Reyne was also a lion, but a red one instead of the golden lion used as the sigil of House Lannister. The rebellion of the Reynes against the Lannisters was thus seen as a clash of lions.

In the decades since young Tywin reasserted House Lannister's dominance by crushing the Reynes, The Rains of Castemere went on to become very popular with soldiers of the Westerlands, becoming an "anthem" of sorts for House Lannister. This extends to the point that even Western soldiers sometimes refer to it simply as, "the Lannister song".[2]

Lyrics
And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that Lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, The Rains of Castamere was composed after Tywin Lannister's victory over their rebellious bannermen: House Reyne of Castamere and the ancient House Tarbeck of Tarbeck Hall. Lord Tytos Lannister, Tywin's father, had been a kind but weak ruler. He loaned money to lords who never bothered to repay him and his vassals openly ignored his orders and mocked him in court. When Lord Reyne, known as the Red Lion of Castamere, and Lady Ellyn Tarbeck rose in rebellion, Tywin took it upon himself to deal with the rebellion and wiped out both of the upstart lords, their families and households and put their seats of power to the torch.
Later when another lord and Tywin Lannister had a disagreement over a matter, Tywin Lannister's reply was a minstrel sent with a harp to play the song to this lord who immediately changed his mind and complied.

It is noted as being one of the few songs that the stern Tywin Lannister seems to enjoy, as he is fond of the lyrics.

I feel like GRRM really missed the mark in book 4, instead of adding in a bunch of the boring shit that happened there, he could have really gone in to depth about Rhaegar, Elia, the mountain, and why Oberyn and the rest of the Sun Spear absolutely despise the Lannisters. Although I'm probably biased in this feeling as I love the Martells, the Sand Snakes are awesome, Obeyrn was one of my favorite characters, and the entire imagery of the Sun Spear is just sweet as hell.

I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people that feel this way though : \

I've got book 1-5 and about 2000 comic books on my Kindle Fire, greatest invention known to man.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't disagree, I definitely think book 4 is the weakest, the reason why I only finished book 5 like two weeks ago was because every time I started book 4, I got bogged down. Finally worked my way through it by going between reading and audiobook format I think last summer and part of fall semester, then slowly read through book 5 this past spring semester.

The first three books though, man. Its hard to top. Book 3 is really book 4's biggest problem, when you think about just all the storylines that reach conclusion in the third book that had been the main theme of the series up to that point, Joffrey's death, the Red Wedding, Tywin's death. Book 4 is practically starting a whole new series. I actually tell people who are hesistant to read the series because its not done or whatever to just read the first three books, and stop there. I do like your idea of having book 4 go further into some of these backgrounds that are mentioned but not touched upon enough.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
When the fuck is Mel going to get a clue? The one thing I find really irritating in multiple POV books is when you know something as the reader that certain characters do not, and they continuously make bad decision after bad decision based on their lack of knowledge. It's fine when I don't know as the reader, we're both surprised together when they learn the truth. It's even fine when you learn about something, right before a character who doesn't does something stupid and finds out the hard way, but it's painful when you know and have known since book 1 and the character continues to do dumb shit for 5 goddamn books based on their lack of knowledge. It's like watching a movie and a character starts to do something and you start screaming at the TV "No! don't go in there! your going to die you idiot what are you doing!?!"

That's how I feel about reading all of the stannis stuff (even though I like him as a character) as he's completely influenced by Melisandre and she's basing everything she tells him on bullshit. I just want to scream at the book "Khal Drogo was the king's blood that was burned to awaken the dragons out of the stone!!!!!!! STFU about it you're 3 years late already!!! How the fuck have you not heard about the god damn dragons! She's conquered half of Essos already surely somebody has told you??? Sailors in every port in Westeros are talking about it! The maesters of the citadel in Old town know! The Iron born know! Hell even motherfucking Samwell Tarly knows about it already! get a clue!"

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well yeah kind of have the omnipresent view where as the characters only see what's going on in their world.