GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
THEY ARE BALLISTAS NOT SCORPIONS, SCORPIONS ARE LIGHTWEIGHT ARTILLERY YOU FUCKS I'M AN EXPERT IN MEDIEVAL WARFARE THANKS TO 40 YEARS OF RENAISSANCE FAIR AND YOU ARE ALL TRIGGERING Me

am i doing it right, ser Noodleface Noodleface

well, as an expert in medieval warfare, what do you think are the odds of untrained crew hitting a dragon moving at high speed and constantly changing direction with one of those things and their complete lack of aiming assists?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I streamed it on a TCL Roku 4k HDR set with the native HBO Go app. I had no issues with visibility or clarity and my set is calibrated correctly at eye level.

I absolutely believe that most people watch TV on a washed out, out of the box Best Buy configured flat screen that they've mounted over their fireplace that's positioned too high. People think that watching something at a 30 degree angle in a brightly lit room is optimal, it's not. Fuck those guys.

I'll agree that it was pretty dark, but this is a completely subjective argument. If the cinematographer, color corrector, and editor say it was to their specifications, then they wanted it that way. Plain and simple. If you had issues with the viewing, it's going to come down to QAM/stream compression, lack of calibration, ambient room luminosity, and viewing angle. Or maybe you're fucking old and getting blind.

Edit: Only true test will be with BD source, but we have to wait for that.

If anything, "Best Buy" settings would help bring out low-light detail as they are way overcooked with Contrast / Brightness cranked to stupid levels. In this case it's definitely more of a combination of shitty quality source and director intent. As you said, which is more of a factor will likely be determined once the Blu Ray is out. As I mentioned earlier, looking at season two's night time battle at The Blackwater, it's super dark as well, but on Blu-Ray it looks absolutely fantastic.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure if HBO Go has a higher res. I don't think any HBO source streams 4k, but I think it definitely has a higher quality/bitrate than the shit Xfinity and ATT pump out.
I watched with PS4p/HBO Go and it was way too dark. I cranked up my brightness and backlight and rewatched it last night. Much better.

Oldbased

> Than U
The only part of episode 3 I really liked was the ~60 seconds of watching the Dothraki's flaming swords being extinguished. They did a good job of building dread with that portion...and I'm sure it was easy on the budget.

The night king is a complete swaggering cheese dick, though. I can't find a gif of that little nod thing he did with Bran right before he got ganked, but this was on par
Image result for the long night gif
That was good but for me it was clearly when the giant swatted bear bitch like a fly. I actually laughed and I never laugh.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That was good but for me it was clearly when the giant swatted bear bitch like a fly. I actually laughed and I never laugh.
I laughed at that part too, but I did the biggest fucking eyeroll of my life when she screamed at him and did a dwarf-charge after. I really like that character & actress, but that was such a fucking over the top hollywood moment.

Image result for lady mormont gif

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

thoroughly debauched tormund and brienne sex scene fade to black

Final line of the show will be "...and here I thought I would only taste giant's milk once!"

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i hope we can argue about how dark the lighting was all the way til sunday. it will literally cause some of our board members to stroke out. leaving beautifully calibrated TVs in their wills.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I laughed at that part too, but I did the biggest fucking eyeroll of my life when she screamed at him and did a dwarf-charge after. I really like that character & actress, but that was such a fucking over the top hollywood moment.

I mean, Bella Ramsey has basically played the character as an over the top almost caricature of a northern lord this entire time, it may have been ridiculous but the entire premise of her character has been ridiculous from the very beginning and she still managed to sell it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I mean, Bella Ramsey has basically played the character as an over the top almost caricature of a northern lord this entire time, it may have been ridiculous but the entire premise of her character has been ridiculous from the very beginning and she still managed to sell it.
That's because she never had to prove the attitude before, which doesn't make it unrealistic. She's nothing but "Northern Grit" when she speaks and it's believable.

It's not believable when they try to have her play it out in this scene.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

she was sort of that obnoxious Greatjon Umber reincarnated as a little girl

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i liked her moxie, but i imagine she was a little snot at home demanding all kinds of dumb shit from her parents using that same tone.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
yes it did crush a dragon skull in the castle basement. Bronn hurt one, the NK killed one then rode it like a pony.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah Bronn got Drogon in the shoulder on his second shot (third if you count the Dothraki that bites it), otherwise when Qyburn first shows it to Cersi, he fires it into Balerion's skull. If you read the Fire and Blood book GRRM released, one of Aegon the Conqueror's sisters/wives dies when her dragon is shot down by a ballista bolt when attacking a city in Dorne. I'd really recommend the book to anyone that is interested in a deeper dive on the 300 years prior to the show and the rise and fall of House Targaryen. Answers a lot of random questions I've seen throughout this thread as well, helps give some context to the Faith Militant and the bullshit with the Sparrow, and lots of little bits that give the setting deeper character. I watched an interview that GRRM did, where he basically admits that he had muddled the history up pretty bad as he was writing, and it took some of his friends/colleagues calling him on his bullshit, and telling him to solidify the history and settings for his books before we got the excellent world building. I would love to see an open world RPG set in the GoT'verse, in either some pre or post book timeline, could be an amazing MMO setting if done correctly.

Actually, I believe this is the interview with GRRM I am talking about, worth a watch if you are a lore junky and want all the tidbits you can get.