GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Fucker

Log Wizard
My hope for a spinoff?

Breaking Bran.

It's about two wildings who run a small bait shop north of the wall. One is named Wyatt Walker, and the other is named Walter Wight. The two run a covert zombie dust smuggling operation that runs all the way down to Sunspear. It turns out that zombie dust is a drug more powerful than anything else, and the most addictive substance known. It ruins the lives of millions of people, and has wrecked the economies of most cities.

It is the tale of how these men evade capture by the notorious detective, Bran Stark.

My hopes for a comedy spinoff involving Arya and Sandor is completely crushed.

:(

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
r/freefolk does have some gems for comments.

Next week on Game of Thrones: Bran tells Sansa that the best beet soup ever was made 400 years ago and he knows the recipe.

Maybe Jon should've taken one for the team and made out with Dany at the beginning of the episode.

Should have ate that box and saved thousands

Even five minutes of missionary and a firm handshake would have at least saved hundreds

Jon doesn't even pet his dog, he knows nothing about being a bro

Arya died like 9 times

She got that shit covered by just repeating the "Not today!" thing.

It's like the "No Homo" of dying

Euron vs Jaime was like an 80s anti-drug ad.

"I NEVeR cArED fOr ThE InNOcENT"

—Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister who sacrificed his sacred honor to save King's Landing 15 years earlier.

• 6Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Then why did I - someone who has never read any of the books - pick up on the fact that she was a bit tyrannical long before season 7? We've got people in this thread even arguing that she has always been a cunt. Clearly it was foreshadowed, it was just presented to the viewer from her perspective, so we went along with it. Sure, they dialled it WAY up this season, but they were leaving clues the whole time. The only thing that has really changed is they flipped the perspective we're seeing things from. Nobody thinks they're the bad guy; everyone thinks they're doing things for the greater good. But the devil is in the details.

I'll conduct an experiment. I'm rewatching the entire series with my girlfriend who had never seen the show before. We just finished the Hard Home episode in season 8 earlier today. I'll ask her what she thinks of Daenerys

The problem is, she had a hard ass streak in her, yes. But it never won out and made her erratic. You can say "but this time she lost X and Y important people and it made her upset"...But the issue is, Dany has been LOWER than this before. She's watched the love of her life die, been left to wander the desert only to watch 2 of the 3 blood brothers she has die, and then she was betrayed by her closest advisor and had her dragons stolen. She still went on and showed a lot of reserve when sacing the next city.

So yeah, she's always had a hardened response, sure. But its always been very very controlled, even when she's lost more than she lost the past couple of weeks. So it just seems odd that she lost control and went nuts here, if this was a trait within her, there were other situations we should have seen it in. But we didn't. We saw the hint of it, but her control and reserve always won out. And frankly it just feels silly. If they wanted this build up to be better, they should have let her off the leash before a couple times, and then slowly wound her back down, rather than her being able to assert control over this side of herself.

Read an article that had some prior season quotes from Dany. Her going full Mad King was something she wanted to do previously, before people talked her out of it

“I will crucify the masters,...I will set their fleets afire. I will kill every last one of their soldiers and return their cities to the dirt. That’s my plan.”

“We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground.”

Yeah, a bunch of times in the shows she's hinted at the fact that she can be very violent, she has a taste for it. But she's never really lost control before. Her response has always been proportionate, even at her lowest. This all would have worked if she had lost control before in lesser ways and killed some innocents from time tot time, not enough to make her a monster but enough to get people to remember she can lose control.

Because that's the thing--its not the fact that she has this sadistic, violent streak in her...its the fact that she clearly lost control and Dany has always been good about controlling that side of herself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tried standing up for this show the last couple seasons but now just going to Ignore everything. How the fuck did they nail the early seasons

Fucker

Log Wizard
Read an article that had some prior season quotes from Dany. Her going full Mad King was something she wanted to do previously, before people talked her out of it

“I will crucify the masters,...I will set their fleets afire. I will kill every last one of their soldiers and return their cities to the dirt. That’s my plan.”

“We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground.”

Her path was pretty evident a long time ago. Her going grape nuts wasn't a surprise at all. I was expecting it. She's alwasys been a feckless dolt who only got to where she is now by the words of her advisors.

Now she distrusts everyone and has lost the throne, and she's sure not going to go down easily. Her last emotion will be fear. I know that.

That, or the writers will go full retard and have Bran warg into Drogon and dump her off his back at 8000 feet.

Jive Turkey

Karen
The problem is, she had a hard ass streak in her, yes. But it never won out and made her erratic. You can say "but this time she lost X and Y important people and it made her upset"...But the issue is, Dany has been LOWER than this before. She's watched the love of her life die, been left to wander the desert only to watch 2 of the 3 blood brothers she has die, and then she was betrayed by her closest advisor and had her dragons stolen. She still went on and showed a lot of reserve when sacing the next city.

So yeah, she's always had a hardened response, sure. But its always been very very controlled, even when she's lost more than she lost the past couple of weeks. So it just seems odd that she lost control and went nuts here, if this was a trait within her, there were other situations we should have seen it in. But we didn't. We saw the hint of it, but her control and reserve always won out. And frankly it just feels silly. If they wanted this build up to be better, they should have let her off the leash before a couple times, and then slowly wound her back down, rather than her being able to assert control over this side of herself.

Yeah, a bunch of times in the shows she's hinted at the fact that she can be very violent, she has a taste for it. But she's never really lost control before. Her response has always been proportionate, even at her lowest. This all would have worked if she had lost control before in lesser ways and killed some innocents from time tot time, not enough to make her a monster but enough to get people to remember she can lose control.

Because that's the thing--its not the fact that she has this sadistic, violent streak in her...its the fact that she clearly lost control and Dany has always been good about controlling that side of herself.

These are reasonable points. I guess we just differ on what we consider a sufficient amount of foreshadowing.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
In one instance, she was ambushed, in the other, she came in with a plan.

That was not am ambush, that was a bunch of boats rolling up on a clear day and killing a dragon. I know they WANTED it to be an ambush. But they were not able to convey that AT ALL to the audience...Because of lazy writing. The only thing they conveyed is that dragons suck when they need to suck and they wanted to make Euron a threat to increase tension in the next battle...and Dragons are unstoppable weapons of mass destruction when they need to be.

Again, this could have all been fixed with better writing. Have Euron leave his ships unloading supplies, have the balista camoflouged in cliffs next to the ships, have Dany hover down to kill as many ships as possible thinking she caught then unawares. In a scene like that you show 1.) There is a reason for the dragons to low and close. 2.) Euron actually had to sacrifice men to get his shot, conveying the dragons are still powerful enough to sacrifice pieces to have a chance at them. 3.) Its absolutely an ambush, rather than "oops she forgot about the iron fleet".

If the writers just wanted to get rid of a dragon, they would've just had it die the previous episode when everyone thought it might already be dead

Let me rephrase. "They wanted the dragon to die, and to make the audience think there was some tension in the coming battle." That was their goal. What they achieved was everyone wondering when the dragons became limp dicked cocksuckers and generic Jack Sparrow imported rail guns from the future.

• 3Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll still say I think Cleganebowl did deliver. Didn't like the setting as much being on the stairs as Cersei was fleeing, but watching the Mountain just end Qyburn so easily was worth it, and the fight itself made sense given Mountain's undead state. You pretty much knew Hound was going to die in the doing, and it was done pretty much as well a
Then why did I - someone who has never read any of the books - pick up on the fact that she was a bit tyrannical long before season 7? We've got people in this thread even arguing that she has always been a cunt. Clearly it was foreshadowed, it was just presented to the viewer from her perspective, so we went along with it. Sure, they dialled it WAY up this season, but they were leaving clues the whole time. The only thing that has really changed is they flipped the perspective we're seeing things from. Nobody thinks they're the bad guy; everyone thinks they're doing things for the greater good. But the devil is in the details.

I'll conduct an experiment. I'm rewatching the entire series with my girlfriend who had never seen the show before. We just finished the Hard Home episode in season 8 earlier today. I'll ask her what she thinks of Daenerys

Some of the people arguing she was a cunt are because they dislike her as an actress (not totally wrong about that), and thought a lot of her being so powerful was SJW shit being pushed down the viewers' throat. She has always shown bits of being a tyrant herself, but in the end it was always about freeing the weak from other, worse tyrants...and she'd never just ash innocents like she did in this episode. It's one thing to leave clues, but I mean she's already the Mad King's daughter, so that was always the biggest clue and never really needed to leave others...her always choosing to be just and good prior for the most part makes this 180 just seem to be way too quickly. I understand these are basically mini movie episodes, but with so many characters there just hasn't been enough to really justify this 180 for me.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Tried standing up for this show the last couple seasons but now just going to Ignore everything. How the fuck did they nail the early seasons

Because they weren't writing the awesome story, it was already written for them. If the fat fuck would have waited 3 years, buckled down, and finished the last two books this would have been 8 full seasons of the best show ever adapted.

I bet he was terrified that no one was going to finish reading his series because the show would've been enough for those of us tired of his slow ass pace. These last 6 weeks must have been the biggest relief in his life; no way he fucks the books up worse than the show....right?

Jive Turkey

Karen
That was not am ambush, that was a bunch of boats rolling up on a clear day and killing a dragon. I know they WANTED it to be an ambush. But they were not able to convey that AT ALL to the audience...Because of lazy writing.

They were waiting at Dragonstone and sailed out from behind the cliffs. Apart from a character yelling "it's an ambush!" I don't know what else they could've done.
Your scenario is cool too. I just thought it was fine as is.

But I have to say, I liked the way Daenerys dealt with it this episode. It felt like one of those really old school battles you read about in ancient Greece or something where they use specific geographic features or times of day for a novel attack plan.

Hosix

All labs matter!
This show is going to end with no one winning anything. Everyone gets a partipation trophy. God forbid we have a male character take control and slay some shit. At least Cersei had the balls to do that. Too bad a rock crushed her....

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Thank you for articulating it better than I have.

• 3Like