GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I always thought "paid the iron price" was just a euphemism for murdering whoever owned the item before

The Iron Price is not just murder, it is the attitude of 'paying' for what you want through aggression and violence instead of peace and trade.

Euron could pay the gold price of those artifacts by buying them from a collector or paying explorers to retrieve them; he chose to pay the iron price by risking his life and sacrificing his men and ships to take the artifacts himself.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

He is an "over the top 13yr old DnD GMs wish come true boned character". Because in the book he is the super awesome guy that comes from nowhere with the best gear the GM could find in the guide etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Emilia Clarke asked to re-enact her reaction to reading the script for the first time, kinda funny. Also short interview with Jamie, Bronn, Gilly and Sam actors. Gilly got fat and/or pregnant, could kinda see it in the show but even more here.

German show but English audio.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
So let’s review all the potential ‘Winners’ of the game and potential occupants of the Iron Throne, and why each is an inherently unsatisfying result of 10 years of television.

Bran: The worst of all prospective Kings. He is completely detached from the workings of living men, outside of the two arbitrary plot points set up in S8: He was the penultimate target of the Night King in the North, and had to tell Sansa/Arya about Jon’s heritage because I guess Jon didn’t want to be the one to say it. His training as a lord ceased soon as he left Winterfell, and one can assume he is uneducated and uninterested in the necessary arts of statecraft. A nearly-mute sage living solely in the past does not make a good king. He would just sit there in his chair with his creep-smile and leave the administration of his kingdom to his advisors, and to show him doing otherwise would be antithesis to the character they’ve built up over the last decade.

Jon: The one with the most ‘right’ to the throne and the most likely candidate, but talk about boring. His status as a Jesus/savior character is completely undermined by the fact that every situation he ended up in was completely beyond his control. The idea of him sitting grim faced and reluctant on the Iron Throne is in keeping with the character, but the idea that the game was ‘won’ by the person would wanted it the least doesn’t have enough time to be explored in the span of the last episode, and least not in a fleshed-out and satisfying way. He stumbled into all of it in the same way his foster dad stumbled into the information and situation that got him beheaded- by following honorable principle, and getting fucked over by it.

Dany: Not that rights of succession have mattered all that much up til this point, but she has no actually claim to the Iron Throne as long as Jon lives. She’s got one dragon and a decimated populace within a mostly-destroyed city, the Pyrrhic victory of a conqueror.... but as promised, it came at the cost of the lives she wanted to rule over. The installation of a Breaker of Chains turned tyrant may be reasonable within the context of the entire story, but to me there is nothing satisfactory about leaving it as a parting shot of her on the throne: ruling through blood and fear, unloved by her subjects. Again there isn’t enough room in one episode to redeem her actions. If they show the populace ‘coming around’ to support her cause it would have to be with slap-dash exposition and time skips that would be forced and empty.

Sansa: No claim to the throne and no practical skills in ruling the Seven Kingdoms, despite the one-off and baseless assertions she’s a badass and ‘the smartest.’ She was literally shuffled about as a pawn for 6 whole seasons, with little agency or ability to navigate her situations other than submitting to them. Rape and molestation, despite the weird emphasis otherwise, does not make you into a ruler...then again, this a universe in which strong Khal dicking turns you into a Khaleesi. It could be argued that she has learned the art of leading people, of only through the establishing shots of her staring down at her people milling about the Winterfell courtyard...but she survived this long through sheer luck and people interceding on her behalf. I would argue that Sansa on the throne is more likely than anything else, if only for D&D’s emphasis on ‘subverting expectations’ in hamhanded ways.

Of course, it doesn’t really come down to who ‘deserves’ the throne. They’ve been clear that the ending will be bittersweet, and with the elimination of the Night King (possibly replaced by Bran?) that probably means there will be no satisfying sum ending. Whoever sits on the throne is not going to be particularly happy about it, and that’s likely to be the bittersweet they’ve been warning us about for years.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So let’s review all the potential ‘Winners’ of the game and potential occupants of the Iron Throne, and why each is an inherently unsatisfying result of 10 years of television.

Bran: The worst of all prospective Kings. He is completely detached from the workings of living men, outside of the two arbitrary plot points set up in S8: He was the penultimate target of the Night King in the North, and had to tell Sansa/Arya about Jon’s heritage because I guess Jon didn’t want to be the one to say it. His training as a lord ceased soon as he left Winterfell, and one can assume he is uneducated and uninterested in the necessary arts of statecraft. A nearly-mute sage living solely in the past does not make a good king. He would just sit there in his chair with his creep-smile and leave the administration of his kingdom to his advisors, and to show him doing otherwise would be antithesis to the character they’ve built up over the last decade.

Jon: The one with the most ‘right’ to the throne and the most likely candidate, but talk about boring. His status as a Jesus/savior character is completely undermined by the fact that every situation he ended up in was completely beyond his control. The idea of him sitting grim faced and reluctant on the Iron Throne is in keeping with the character, but the idea that the game was ‘won’ by the person would wanted it the least doesn’t have enough time to be explored in the span of the last episode, and least not in a fleshed-out and satisfying way. He stumbled into all of it in the same way his foster dad stumbled into the information and situation that got him beheaded- by following honorable principle, and getting fucked over by it.

Dany: Not that rights of succession have mattered all that much up til this point, but she has no actually claim to the Iron Throne as long as Jon lives. She’s got one dragon and a decimated populace within a mostly-destroyed city, the Pyrrhic victory of a conqueror.... but as promised, it came at the cost of the lives she wanted to rule over. The installation of a Breaker of Chains turned tyrant may be reasonable within the context of the entire story, but to me there is nothing satisfactory about leaving it as a parting shot of her on the throne: ruling through blood and fear, unloved by her subjects. Again there isn’t enough room in one episode to redeem her actions. If they show the populace ‘coming around’ to support her cause it would have to be with slap-dash exposition and time skips that would be forced and empty.

Sansa: No claim to the throne and no practical skills in ruling the Seven Kingdoms, despite the one-off and baseless assertions she’s a badass and ‘the smartest.’ She was literally shuffled about as a pawn for 6 whole seasons, with little agency or ability to navigate her situations other than submitting to them. Rape and molestation, despite the weird emphasis otherwise, does not make you into a ruler...then again, this a universe in which strong Khal dicking turns you into a Khaleesi. It could be argued that she has learned the art of leading people, of only through the establishing shots of her staring down at her people milling about the Winterfell courtyard...but she survived this long through sheer luck and people interceding on her behalf. I would argue that Sansa on the throne is more likely than anything else, if only for D&D’s emphasis on ‘subverting expectations’ in hamhanded ways.

Of course, it doesn’t really come down to who ‘deserves’ the throne. They’ve been clear that the ending will be bittersweet, and with the elimination of the Night King (possibly replaced by Bran?) that probably means there will be no satisfying sum ending. Whoever sits on the throne is not going to be particularly happy about it, and that’s likely to be the bittersweet they’ve been warning us about for years.
Bittersweet in this regard means fucking silly. The only one who wins is Ghost. Everything else turns to shit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm still baffled this turned in to a "tune in to see who is going to end up sitting the Iron Throne" bit of musical chairs for the ending as if that's been what people have been tuning in for season after season.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm still baffled this turned in to a "tune in to see who is going to end up sitting the Iron Throne" bit of musical chairs for the ending as if that's been what people have been tuning in for season after season.

to an extent, we HAVE been tuning in to see who sits on the throne, because the political intrigue that brought us there was extremely entertaining. the problem is that over the last few seasons the characters have changed so much that we don't really care about them anymore. it's not that we don't care who sits on the throne, it's that the options for WHY they are sitting on the throne is stupid.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I don't give a flying fuck who ends up on the throne until the last episode. I care about the journey there, which is the major problem with this show.

• 3Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Anyone but Jon Snow sitting the throne is a shit ending. At this point I'd have rather the story never even mentioned his lineage. I don't think it's unreasonable to want that part of the story (the most salient plot point in the entire series) to have a better impact than him not fucking his aunt causing her to burn kings landing.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t give a shit who sits on the throne. They have fucked this up so royally I don’t give a shit about anything that happens to any characters at this point. I’ll watch the final episode so I can bitch about how terrible it was, that’s my only motivation at this point.

Petition to redo it is over a million and still climbing fast, worf.

• 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm virtually convinced we're going to get Bran on the throne by some sort of stupidity. Something will have to happen between Dany/Jon or with Arya involved I'm sure...but in the end even if it's clear he's the dumbest one to end up on the throne, he's still a male Stark (the last one left) and has a better claim by that alone over someone like Sansa. I just can't see Dany being left on the throne at this point.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wakandans have you heard about book victarion?
Also a badass.

Obviously it's not going to be Sansa. Get ready for your worst case scenario happening.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

Fuck this sucks.

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone but Jon Snow sitting the throne is a shit ending. At this point I'd have rather the story never even mentioned his lineage. I don't think it's unreasonable to want that part of the story (the most salient plot point in the entire series) to have a better impact than him not fucking his aunt causing her to burn kings landing.

Arguably the main character of the show, entire life built around a lie. A lie that shaped how others saw him, how he saw himself, how he acted, it defined who he was. The truth is revealed and... nothing. No conversations about it with his sister/cousins, nothing with his aunt/lover. No coming to terms with it, no idea how he even feels about it. Jon keeps on plodding along telling people he doesn't want it, and he loves the queen. The fact that his entire life is a lie didn't really phase him or change him in anyway. Out of all the shit thrown at us this season this stands out the most to me.

The characters arent even characters anymore. They're just shells that the writers move around to force an ending they didn't earn and clearly don't give a shit about.

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Arguably the main character of the show, entire life built around a lie. A lie that shaped how others saw him, how he saw himself, how he acted, it defined who he was. The truth is revealed and... nothing. No conversations about it with his sister/cousins, nothing with his aunt/lover. No coming to terms with it, no idea how he even feels about it. Jon keeps on plodding along telling people he doesn't want it, and he loves the queen. The fact that his entire life is a lie didn't really phase him or change him in anyway. Out of all the shit thrown at us this season this stands out the most to me.

The characters arent even characters anymore. They're just shells that the writers move around to force an ending they didn't earn and clearly don't give a shit about.

all it would have taken is for him to have one line about joining the black and that it negated any claim he has to the throne. like, people can argue that he gave up any claim to stark lands and whatnot, but that he coulnd't have renounced his targaryen lineage because he didn't know about it, but at the end of the day he sticks with his "i gave all of that up"

except... people named him king in the north... though they didn't name him that due to his family ties... but again, THAT'S the angle he should be coming from. it doesn't matter if his life is a lie because he renounced whatever life he had.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
How the hell would a Stark have any claim to the throne? After Jon and Dany, Gendry Baratheon has the best claim. Arya could have a shot if she marries him. Pretty much anyone else claiming the throne would be a coup without legitimacy, might is right style; at that point that just means whoever with the biggest army. I suppose creative spinning could give Tyrion legitimacy but that's pretty much it.

Also, heard about Jon taking the black a few times. That wouldn't make a lick of sense. The undead army is gone, so is the night king, the wildlings are bros, there's a giant hole in the wall and there's no night watch left alive. Taking the black means what at this point? Live by himself in a shack for the sake to be away from civilisation?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

lol literally no one cares I can't believe there are still people doing this ^^^

• 1Like