GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Boy, do I not understand the story he was trying to tell at all then.
Because likely all they had to go on was just vague shit like "Jaime and Cersei both end up dead in KL, Jon kills Dany to save the world and returns to the North instead of ruling, Bran becomes King, Sansa rules the North independently, Arya ventures west." That's not inherently bad, because the path to these endings could be written well and make sense. It was bad this time because because the path was not written well and did not make sense.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm mostly just confused why Jon was ressed in the first place.

I can't see any story motive for it. An extraordinary thing happened, that needs to serve a function. Even if the function is to highlight how extra ordinary things may not be as extraordinary as a person would like to think, and have no intrinsic meaning. Sometimes things just happen.

The return of dragons has heralded the return of magic to the world. The Red Priest, regarded as a drunken sot and joke for ruining swords by lighting them on fire, performs the burial ritual upon The Lightning Lord Barrick Dondarian and the son of a bitch returns to life. He then tries to bring Caitlyn Starke back and it kills him in the process. The formula the alchemists use to create wildfire is working better than it ever has in living memory. Bran, Arya and Jon at a minimum are all worgs and probably Rickun as well. The symbol of the Bolton's is a flayed man and there was a time in which they wore the skins of those they conquered in battle. We know of a guild of assassins that also wears skin as part of their rituals. The obsidian candles are burning in Old Town. Once a test to prove the non-existence of magic the maesters are now killing the fuck out of each other to keep the information from getting out. We learn that they were responsible for killing the last of the dragons. The White Walkers, monsters from legend, are not only real but pushing south for reasons no one knows. Parts of the Prophecy of Azor Ahai is being fulfilled by possibly many different people.

Magic returning to the world is a major undercurrent of the books and Jon's resurrection is part of that. It also provides him a way of leaving the Wall without breaking another oath.

• 3Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
BZkF8mkCIAAvUzr.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
having bronn on the small council was absolute trash, it will always be a mystery to me why they decided to cut away valuable screen time from advancing the madness of daenarys, exploring the night king or more character building of bran/jon/sansa/arya and instead slap in tiresome and unfunny scenes with bronn or brienne. what happened with gendry? why wasn't he with the lords of westeros in the end?

Gendry was there

• 3Like

iannis

Musty Nester
The return of dragons has heralded the return of magic to the world. The Red Priest, regarded as a drunken sot and joke for ruining swords by lighting them on fire, performs the burial ritual upon The Lightning Lord Barrick Dondarian and the son of a bitch returns to life. He then tries to bring Caitlyn Starke back and it kills him in the process. The formula the alchemists use to create wildfire is working better than it ever has in living memory. Bran, Arya and Jon at a minimum are all worgs and probably Rickun as well. The symbol of the Bolton's is a flayed man and there was a time in which they wore the skins of those they conquered in battle. We know of a guild of assassins that also wears skin as part of their rituals. The obsidian candles are burning in Old Town. Once a test to prove the non-existence of magic the maesters are now killing the fuck out of each other to keep the information from getting out. We learn that they were responsible for killing the last of the dragons. The White Walkers, monsters from legend, are not only real but pushing south for reasons no one knows. Parts of the Prophecy of Azor Ahai is being fulfilled by possibly many different people.

Magic returning to the world is a major undercurrent of the books and Jon's resurrection is part of that. It also provides him a way of leaving the Wall without breaking another oath.

I mean I get that, and that's what it HAS to be.

Tolkien did a similar thing, but he did it in a masterful way. The way GRRM tried to do it here almost feels accidental. There's no cohesion between the moving parts. Which I don't think has to be a problem, that's something that you can emphasize in your story and it can work out beautifully. There are stories and even movies that use that to great effect. They leave you to wonder how the parts relate while at the same time leaving you no doubt that they don't. Not really. And that is a neat place for a story to take you.

It's just that at the end of the run I don't think he pulled it off. I see what he was trying for... sort of. I do think it's what he was trying to express based on his smaller observations. That's his philosophy of the story. But he just didn't succeed. For me, obviously.

If that's his ending, I do see why he'll never write the books. He's abusing the stage.

Hey, at least he's not dropping a massive diarehhea pile on it like the star wars guys! Could be worse.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So with going north of the wall, did everyone forget winter is supposed to be here? Why the fuck would they go north in winter when earlier before it was winter they where trying to go south? The hell are they going to eat?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Because likely all they had to go on was just vague shit like "Jaime and Cersei both end up dead in KL, Jon kills Dany to save the world and returns to the North instead of ruling, Bran becomes King, Sansa rules the North independently, Arya ventures west." That's not inherently bad, because the path to these endings could be written well and make sense. It was bad this time because because the path was not written well and did not make sense.

I got a feeling GRRM painted even broader strokes than this.
Or his ending is so fantastical and high budget they knew they couldn't do it.

Maybe the undead will push all the way to KL, maybe they never take a dragon, maybe Daeny already rules KL and needs to defend it vs the undead, maybe it's all of Westeros defending + 3 dragons in some super-epic war that totally destroys the city, but in the end they win. Maybe Bran whips out some voodoo magic and in the end maybe Jon DOES go north, with a remnant of people.. to rebuild the north, and he becomes "king in the north". etc etc etc.

I would be extremely surprised if the book ending resembles the show in the least bit.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
How much did you laugh at their face in the last couple weeks?

Anyone that names their kid after a pop culture icon is fucking retarded regardless.

I’m looking at you Adolph Elsa Muhammad.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have autistic questions about the great council.

There's 3 Baratheon reps, 3 Stark reps and 3 Arryn reps. Then what seems to be 2 Tully (recast Blackfish?) and 2 Greyjoy (Did Yara have a random guy with her?). Sam is somehow the lone survivor of The Reach and Quentyn Martell seems to have made it into the show.

This bothers me somehow. Surely you can pay for some extras to give every kingdom three each? Dorne OK with only having one vote?

Then if you are electing a Stark, why are we allowing The North to be independent?

Should have elected Arya, you got your sister, cousin, uncle and lover in control of 4/7 Houses.
having bronn on the small council was absolute trash, it will always be a mystery to me why they decided to cut away valuable screen time from advancing the madness of daenarys, exploring the night king or more character building of bran/jon/sansa/arya and instead slap in tiresome and unfunny scenes with bronn or brienne. what happened with gendry? why wasn't he with the lords of westeros in the end?
He was there.

Edmure Tully, Lord of Riverrun
Gendry the legitimized bastard of House Baratheon
Samwell Tarly
Arya Stark
Bran Stark
Yohn Royce
Sansa Stark
Ser Brienne of Tarth
Ser Davos Seaworth
Robin Arryn
Yara Greyjoy
Prince of Dorne

There's a few others I don't know:

1 center:
gc-sam-howland-edmure.jpg

2 left:
gc-yara-dornish-prince.jpg

3 right:
gc-gendry.jpg

4 right:
gc-robin-arryn.jpg

If we went by pure clout, the people most missed at the lord's council would be the following, and if I can fanfic it I'll associate them with the above numbers:
1 Whomever took over Lannisport / The Rock
2 Who the fuck knows, but it should've been Wyman Manderly
manderlyjpg-19aba41280wjpg-4854ed_1280w.jpg

3 A Hightower, who run Old Town (by far the most powerful city in Westeros now that KL has been razed, and would be the people who would probably easily go kill Bronn, lol)
4. one of the rulers of gull town

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So with going north of the wall, did everyone forget winter is supposed to be here? Why the fuck would they go north in winter when earlier before it was winter they where trying to go south? The hell are they going to eat?

That's another theme that's just entirely missing - winter. We're told a bazillion times that in Westeros winters last years and that once again winter is coming. The War of the Five Kings has destroyed tons and tons of shit, fields were burned, harvests stolen, the North has a massive refugee problem and the coming winter is going to last fucking years. Everyone is super, super fucked. Jon puts the Night's Watch in to debt to get the gold necessary to buy food to hopefully not die. Stannis and his army are dying in the snow, the Bolton's in Winterfell are down to eating horse and winter lasts years at a time.

It's why I always though that the Army of the Dead would crush the North. The North is already on death's door and there is no respite coming. The Long Night is soon to be upon them and the last war came at the worst possible time. Jon was portioning out one onion or one apple to each wildling for fuck's sake. They're all boned.

Instead the Army of the Dead gets wrecked and the survivors all just march south down the King's Road? Fucking how.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
GoT bigger but Lost started off with something like 15 million viewers in the first season and then petered out.

GoT ended with 17 million, so I feel like it got bigger with time where Lost got smaller with time.

I’d say GoT more significant but Lost was up there.
GOT also has the benefit of the modern social media hyper partisan era breathing more life into it. The kind of epic fail that was the slow slide into oblivion that Lost was had not really been experienced by the Neckbeard generation yet. Really the only comparison would be the Wheel of Time series collapsing into shit and that was super niche. At the point we are now, you have hipsters and nerds alike planning their social calendar around GoT even though everyone openly admits its been a slow slide into dogshit for years. Everyone is familiar with the Lost and Dexter shit shows at the end, so expectations have been couched to a degree. They had this solid arsenal of actors and a blank check from HBO to limp across the finish line. Despite all of this, they still managed to disappoint just about everyone aside from those in denial. They even had leeks from nearly a year ago that gave them a clear indication of how poorly this was going to be received and still opted to bypass doing some reshoots and ship a turd in a box as is.

This is beyond even TLJ levels of failure and with a larger more rabid audience. I mean we are jaded asshole middle age nerds (some of us have not even watched the fucking show) and this thread is moving as fast as the politics thread around here. Now imagine some pansexual poly Portland twat who is so wrapped up in this bullshit that she named her kid Khalissi and worse than that she never has read any of the books so is not braced for how far off the rails it already was years ago. Now multiply that by 17 million and add all of us non-fans that have to listen to the bitching every day like its some lesser version of terminal TDS.

This is the biggest entertainment bed shitting since Heaven's Gate. Even if these guys were capable of creating the next Empire for Disney, the hate they have generated from this half assing will drown it out. HBO is going to get dunked on for the next ten years, especially since they had the complete lack of self awareness to pimp the other franchise that fans are upset about during the finale, as if to drive home how tone deaf they really are. Retarded Millenial fucks are going to whine about this for a decade in ways that will make the Cobain suicide pity party seem quaint in comparison. Its really impressive, actually, and I do not think someone could fuck up this bad on purpose if they set out to do it.

The Arya actress is probably the only one who might walk away from this better off, since the got the fan fic Mary Sue send off and remembered to flash her junk before they closed shop. That's assuming she is not so super batshit that all she does is arthouse softcore bore fests. Dinkage is wrecked after this and even Pixels could not break him. Ned getting ganked S1 is probably the best thing to happen to that guy. Sansa will shit up another Phoenix movie before we never see her again. Cersei was already one of the cuntier actresses out there and she is now too dried up to use her tits to get by. I hope Gods of Egypt residuals were good, because that Jaime guy is probably never getting another role outside of "made for Sci-Fi Network" paycheck work. Ser Phasma better hope their is a large dramas for ugly mannish lesbians market out there or she is going to be stuck playing the girls gym teacher on Oxygen Network for the rest of her career. And Wheels is going to eat more hate than Hayden did for the SW prequals ever had to endure.

This is a failure that will destroy anyone involved with it. If Disney follows through and lets those jackasses do the next SW trilogy, then they will take that franchise down with them too. One movie, tops, is all they are getting. No way the Mouse was as stupid as HBO in giving those dipshits such iron clad contracts. Not even Kathleen Kennedy is that stupid. Her muppet RJ got the hook after one fucking movie. D&D will end their career the exact same way.

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 4 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I got a feeling GRRM painted even broader strokes than this.
Or his ending is so fantastical and high budget they knew they couldn't do it.

Maybe the undead will push all the way to KL, maybe they never take a dragon, maybe Daeny already rules KL and needs to defend it vs the undead, maybe it's all of Westeros defending + 3 dragons in some super-epic war that totally destroys the city, but in the end they win. Maybe Bran whips out some voodoo magic and in the end maybe Jon DOES go north, with a remnant of people.. to rebuild the north, and he becomes "king in the north". etc etc etc.

I would be extremely surprised if the book ending resembles the show in the least bit.
I agree with you, or hope anyway. Always figured the Others would destroy the North and likely most of the South, forcing those remaining alive to make some kind of last stand at KL. Lithose Lithose mentioned Jon possibly taking control of the dragons after killing Dany to "forge" his Lightbringer as Azor Ahai did with Nissa Nissa. Hopefully it's something like that goes down in the books but maybe we'll never know.

Or it was always going to be this lame, and it was all just subversion - the Others were never the real threat in the prophecy, the Long Night Jon prevented was the era of death and darkness Dany would have brought about, etc.