GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well it least it’s good to know that Rombos opinion on things can be ignored from now on.

Feel free to do whatever you want 😂, wont change a thing in my world.

I liked GoT season 8. Suck it ✌️

• 1Cringe
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not that I wanted 11 seasons of this garbage, but the second biggest problem with seasons 7 and 8 (especially 8) was that they compressed down plots and character growth that should have taken multiple seasons to develop. I'm fine with a villainish turn for Dany, but this was the kind of thing that should have developed over time instead of the rush job we got. They tried a really ham-handed foreshadowing with how she dealt with Randyl and Dickon Tarly, except that stupid fucking scene falls completely to pieces under the least bit of scrutiny. She goes from slave freeing messianic figure to 'fuck it i will just burn down a surrendering city'.

Obviously the terrible pacing is only the second biggest problem because nothing compares to how bad the writing became as soon as they caught up to the books and couldn't plod along in GRRM's footsteps any longer. Increasingly trash tier writing from Season 6 onward.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Not that I wanted 11 seasons of this garbage, but the second biggest problem with seasons 7 and 8 (especially 8) was that they compressed down plots and character growth that should have taken multiple seasons to develop.

the irony of star wars being so garbage is that they also made the last season of got super garbage as well

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not that I wanted 11 seasons of this garbage, but the second biggest problem with seasons 7 and 8 (especially 8) was that they compressed down plots and character growth that should have taken multiple seasons to develop. I'm fine with a villainish turn for Dany, but this was the kind of thing that should have developed over time instead of the rush job we got. They tried a really ham-handed foreshadowing with how she dealt with Randyl and Dickon Tarly, except that stupid fucking scene falls completely to pieces under the least bit of scrutiny. She goes from slave freeing messianic figure to 'fuck it i will just burn down a surrendering city'.

Obviously the terrible pacing is only the second biggest problem because nothing compares to how bad the writing became as soon as they caught up to the books and couldn't plod along in GRRM's footsteps any longer. Increasingly trash tier writing from Season 6 onward.

It was definitely rushed in the end but Dany has always been a megalomaniacal narcissist. She's been raised to think of herself as the lawful ruler of Westeros and she sees herself (a mere teenager) as uniquely qualified for this position, even as a saviour. Like all narcissists, she's in constant need of admiration and can actually be charming, kind and generous to those that give her that admiration, while being dismissive and cruel towards those that don't feed in to her self image. It escalates over time but it is there from the beginning (she's completely unemotional when her brother is killed, because his death actually feeds into her self image that she is more special and more qualified than he was).
It was actually well written and set up for an eventual conflict with the humble Jon, who grows up among nobility who make it very clear that he is not quite one of them, and whose main character arc is learning that the world works very differently than the simplistic ideals of its leaders.

If the last few seasons were written better, Dany would have broken with Jon much earlier and it wouldn't have felt as rushed and forced. Exactly how to transition into a Jon vs Dany conflict while also bringing the Lannister and Night King stories to a conclusion is hard to imagine and I think it is what GRRM was stuck on after the 3rd book, which is why the later books introduce more and more new characters and sideplots, rather than working towards a conclusion. He just dug himself in a deeper hole of course, it was too grand from the beginning.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think the way to do it is to resolve the Lannister plot first and Night King second.

You can't have the number of deaths the Night King requires to justify the build if most of the characters need to be alive to get their revenge on the Lannisters.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can understand some differing of opinion, after all I don't hate S7 or especially 6 as much as some. 8 started fine with just old characters meeting up or some meeting for the first time (finally). Soon as they actually had to tie up any plot elements, though, it went straight to shit. I guess if you're expecting Dany to be power hungry, etc the whole time, it all makes sense...but it wasn't how she was portrayed in the sense she kept saying she wasn't there to rule over the ashes over and over and over. Yeah we got longer episodes in S8 but it wasn't near enough time for them to convincingly tie up so many plot threads, especially with the 180's we got from too many characters.

Also lol at basically only red shirts dying to Night King's army at Winterfell. Sure Jorah bought in, but Brienne/left hand Jaime/Podrick just mowed down countless undead like they were nothing.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I can understand some differing of opinion, after all I don't hate S7 or especially 6 as much as some. 8 started fine with just old characters meeting up or some meeting for the first time (finally). Soon as they actually had to tie up any plot elements, though, it went straight to shit. I guess if you're expecting Dany to be power hungry, etc the whole time, it all makes sense...but it wasn't how she was portrayed in the sense she kept saying she wasn't there to rule over the ashes over and over and over. Yeah we got longer episodes in S8 but it wasn't near enough time for them to convincingly tie up so many plot threads, especially with the 180's we got from too many characters.

Also lol at basically only red shirts dying to Night King's army at Winterfell. Sure Jorah bought in, but Brienne/left hand Jaime/Podrick just mowed down countless undead like they were nothing.
S1 great
S2 great
S3 great
S4 great
S5 meh
S6 great
S7 good? average?
S8 motherfucker goddamn piece of shit

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
S1 great
S2 great
S3 great
S4 great
S5 meh
S6 great
S7 good? average?
S8 motherfucker goddamn piece of shit
S1 great
S2 great
S3 great
S4 great
S5
28iu.gif

S6
source.gif

S7
MgHRUPP.gif

S8
tenor.gif

• 5Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 5 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
S5 was mostly good, just some eyeroll moments like the sandsnakes and the dumb plot where Ramsay's 20 man raid in the night somehow cripples Stannis' entire army undetected.

It got worse in S6, for example the whole business with Arya getting stabbed in the gut and swimming in sewage, yet being patched up like it was nothing by a passing actor. That absence of that sort of plot armor was one of the things that made early GoT great.

S7 is where the wheels came off. Jamie charging at the dragon but getting saved at the last moment, Euron being conveniently everywhere he needs to be, cringy scenes with Jon and Dany in the cave, plan to capture a wight beyond the wall etc etc.

They really sank this franchise too, it's completely gone from conversation, no memes or callbacks anywhere.

Merrith

S6 final episode beginning scene with Cersei blowing everyone to hell was amazing, and cancels out any bad that season. The music and the buildup to that was epic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Season 1 = Star Trek: The Next Generation
Season 8 = Star Trek: Picard.

• 1Worf
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Season 6 was fine. Season 7 had a clear drop in quality, but was still enjoyable.

Season 8 pissed me off and took the biggest shot on a beloved franchise since Mass Effect 3

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Oldbased

> Than U
My GOT binge from episode 1 is now up to season 8 episode 3. Aka the blackscreen great fight.
Sometime since release and now they actually adjusted the brightness a bit. You can almost see what is going on.

Merrith

My GOT binge from episode 1 is now up to season 8 episode 3. Aka the blackscreen great fight.
Sometime since release and now they actually adjusted the brightness a bit. You can almost see what is going on.

Basically you're right at the episode where if you had any questions it was going to shit, that episode basically solidified it and began the true full downhill descent to terribleness.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I still say Winterfell needed to lose and lose hard with the final battle of the living versus the dead at King's Landing.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
That would have been much better than what we got.

You can't build up the irresistible force which is the night king invasion, make that force take 8 years to finally get somewhere important, and then have it turn out to be not so irresistible after all. I mean I guess you could... the strength of the night is the fear and all that... but that's not what GOT did.

Winterfell needed to be razed. The north needed to fall into wildlings. The boundary needed to be moved south. Dany could sacrifice Jon for an armistice with Lord Necromonger. Really driving home the "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, even when the few is muh boyfrend Good Guy Jon and the many are Shit Tier Sister Fucking Lannisters" that was the moral justification of her right to rule.

Basically you can write fanfic that's better than what the story did. Even GRRM could, if he wasn't such a narcissist.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I still say Winterfell needed to lose and lose hard with the final battle of the living versus the dead at King's Landing.

That's what everyone expected and was not what we got. They went all Rian Johnson and just like TLJ it did not pay off.