GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

I could see Dany killing everyone and becoming a mad queen, but the show made it really abrupt without sufficient build up. Yes, the hints were there, but she goes from zero to murder in a blink

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah i just don't see him giving them anything but the vaguest of outlines. Dany goes mad, John kills her, Bran is king.

Even though those were written like complete shit, other characters' endings were just nonsensical

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Martin was very involved in the making of the TV show. I doubt he just said "this is how it ends, figure it out suckers LOL!"

• 1Dislike

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
it wont be the same, its like releasing EQ2 and expecting the same magic as EQ1 was for the first 2 expansions. these dunk & eggs arent even finished and you still have the same pressures for GRRM to finish it and he will tell everyone to fuck off. its a big mess.

He needs to license out or accept a co-author. Only way to salvage the franchise.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Even though those were written like complete shit, other characters' endings were just nonsensical

The arrival for Littlefinger was just pure garbage.

We should have been able to watch him unravel a little bit with a few good plot points to watch him change as a person.

Rather than the "Welp, surprise, this character is actually a huge dumbass and all that success and smarts was bullshit".

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He needs to license out or accept a co-author. Only way to salvage the franchise.
i dont remember anymore, but i think he had the chance to do that a long time ago and rejected it. when he drops dead, which wont be too far in the future, the whole thing goes with him. it took him ten years to not be finished with this novel. its gonna be much longer for A Dreams Of Spring which is supposed to be the final book but no way will it be.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
bill murray well its groundhog day again GIF

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In the end, Martin shared that he envisioned Bran as the king of Westeros and the TV series stood by that idea

So Bran as king was at least confirmed by Martin to be part of the outline he gave D&D.

I'm not sure what other plot points have been confirmed by Martin to be book points.

But we at least have Bran as king 100% confirmed.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The arrival for Littlefinger was just pure garbage.

We should have been able to watch him unravel a little bit with a few good plot points to watch him change as a person.

Rather than the "Welp, surprise, this character is actually a huge dumbass and all that success and smarts was bullshit".
Sansa got a different character's storyline, in the books Ramsay marries fake Arya.

Sansa is being married off to the heir to The Vale, who I guess will also be an asshole leading to Sansa hating Littlefinger and getting him executed.

Then it'll be Sansa arriving with Vale Knights to Battle of the Bastards, not Littlefinger.

A lot of the shit stuff was from new characters being merged into old ones, Dorne in particular had it's PoV characters removed making it total dogshit.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So Bran as king was at least confirmed by Martin to be part of the outline he gave D&D.

I'm not sure what other plot points have been confirmed by Martin to be book points.

But we at least have Bran as king 100% confirmed.
well i guess we know at least the shit about drogon melting the iron throne down was fake shit. it still doesnt make a lick of sense how crippled bran gets from all the way beyond the wall to the throne. like how the fuck does that even work?

Sterling

El Presidente
well i guess we know at least the shit about drogon melting the iron throne down was fake shit. it still doesnt make a lick of sense how crippled bran gets from all the way beyond the wall to the throne. like how the fuck does that even work?
Because he had the best story. Obviously.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Wow.

GRRM should just die of covid. What an idiot.

I mean, that doesn't necessarily have to be terrible as it was in the show. The books stopped at Bran having just met the old man in the tree. His leadup to the throne could go vastly differently than it did in the show, assuming Tubs actually writes it.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The books spend much more time with Bran, and I vaguely remember (it's been so long ago now) liking book Bran much more than TV show Bran. I assume GRRM was planing to continue to use a bunch of chapters to keep building up Bran and his power as the Three Eyed Raven. I also vaguely remember book Bran as being more powerful, as he can already warg humans (Hodor), and is still in the cave, learning from the old 3ER (when the last book ends).

I would guess that the original plan would be that Bran is the one to ultimately stop the wight walkers and possibly gets the throne because he is the best choice of all bad choices (or he just Wargs enough people to make them choose him).

Making the Three Eyed Raven into an ancient entity that is sick of human bullshit, and therefor needs to control them all, as the everlasting king, might turn it into a more interesting, not happy, ending.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Except he wasn't very involved in the show at all after the first 4 seasons. Do some research before you post.

Sure, but it's not like he just sold the rights and walked away. Obviously TV has limitations that books don't and various things were changed to accommodate those limitations, but if he really just let the TV writers go hog wild with his signature property then that's on him. I think the much more likely scenario is that what we saw on TV was pretty close to the outline Martin provided. Criticize the TV writers for dialog and the pacing and whatnot if you want, but I'd be pretty surprised if the major plot points weren't just what Martin wanted them to be.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Arya was also telegraphed to get the Night King kill way beforehand so that was obviously in his outline. But the scene was so horribly done, along with the sequence leading up to it, that it had no impact whatsoever it was a god damn joke.

Too many of the individual endings for characters were utter shit. By the time we got to the overall ending it was literally "put us out of our misery" but no they went full retard.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Before GoT came out, I imagine that it was thought that Martin would finish the next book (at least) well before the show got that far, so there wasn't too much worry about it. I mean, it was unlikely (at the time) that the show would go so long.

Years later, the show makers got screwed 'cuz Martin didn't finish the next book. The show was as good as it was in the early seasons when it followed the books more closely. No book, show quality declined rapidly.

I'm sure Martin got paid a lot, and he's just living the life now, no interest in doing real work, so we'll never get any more real books from him.

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think people who believe Martin had anything to do with this show past season 4 are just fooling themselves. It's pretty obvious by how convoluted the story was and how poorly everything was tied together that it isn't something that Martin planned out or even wrote. We were getting D&D's best guesses as to what their version of what should happen would look like. There's no way you could read the books or watch the first 4 seasons of the show and think that seasons 6 through 8 were anything that was written down or planned out. I don't even believe Martin wanted Bran to wind up on the throne. I think that was HBO's version of the "surprise" ending that most of the other seasons finished with.

Although I put a lot of the blame on Martin and his laziness at finishing the story, I also blame HBO and D&D for rushing the ending so they could fuck off and write the equally bad abortion of a story that was the last Star Wars movie. Even though Bran ending up as king is stupid as fuck, what was even dumber was how rushed the entire ending of the show was. They could've stretched it out to at least 3 more full seasons (not like HBO didn't have the money or the audience), and tied up some of the storylines, and at least given the long night some more magnitude, maybe at least show Dany's descent into madness unfolding a little bit at a time, instead of her going pants on head insane in the course of 10 minutes. Perhaps that would've made it more believable. But how rushed the entire last 2 abbreviated seasons felt, and how nothing made any sense, and how poorly it was written, leads me to believe they didn't have a clue as how to finish the story, and just threw shit at a wall, and that's what we wound up with. As fans of the show, and how amazing the show really was, we deserved better.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean it was literally supposed to be 3 full seasons, not 2 short seasons. they left 13 or whatever episodes on the table to go do that star wars shit.

• 2Like