Gov't Regulation for Games Discussion- DLC related

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
You know restaurants are regulated right? You work in the fucking food industry and should know this.

Yeah? Restaurants can't charge $3 for a drink to go with their meal and $9 for a dessert at the end? I must've missed those regulations ("shell of a meal" + dlc).

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
And for the record, Meth-hawk, I'm personally cool with the LoL style. Shadow of War was one that I even tolerated but it was pretty damn close to going over the edge, the difference in grinding versus cash was pretty drastic [and it wasn't a fun grind] to do Act 4 - but it still didn't bother me. (SW: Battlefront 2 does sound bad from little comments I've seen, but I've had zero interest so I've not looked any deeper into it, but I know there's lots of "HOLY MTX!" comments)

Ok. So you're fine with literal thousands of hours of grinding in LoL to unlock the champions but grinding in Shadow of War was worse than that to play act 4? How about the fact that LoL sells mystery champions and mystery skin packages? That's lootboxes thus gambling.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah? Restaurants can't charge $3 for a drink to go with their meal and $9 for a dessert at the end? I must've missed those regulations ("shell of a meal" + dlc).

I'm going to start bringing a D20 to restaurants. I'll ask the waitress to hold on when they bring back my card. I'll then roll the die and say "wow critical failure, sorry about your tip." and write in whatever the die comes up with.

Laissez Faire

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok. So you're fine with literal thousands of hours of grinding in LoL to unlock the champions but grinding in Shadow of War was worse than that to play act 4? How about the fact that LoL sells mystery champions and mystery skin packages? That's lootboxes thus gambling.

Enough with the F2P comparison's to a AAA Box sale game you raging fucking dweeb.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
LoL doesnt force you to buy the game and withold content.

Define withheld content. How long does a company have to wait after releasing a product before they can start producing expansion style content for it without making them scumbags? Has any game ever said "hey buy me for $60 and get 4 acts of content" and then only contained 2 acts of content unless you pay for the third and 4th after?

Enough with the F2P comparison's to a AAA Box sale game you raging fucking dweeb.

So if a game is F2P it's ok if they have gambling, but if it's a "AAA" box game then it's not ok for them to have gambling? Why should there be a double standard on whether or not gambling is acceptable in games?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Define withheld content. How long does a company have to wait after releasing a product before they can start producing expansion style content for it without making them scumbags? Has any game ever said "hey buy me for $60 and get 4 acts of content" and then only contained 2 acts of content unless you pay for the third and 4th after?

Destiny 1 without telling anyone, yes. You schmuck.

They also just came clean on experience gains while stating to the player in their UI they made X amount of experience, it was sliced down by 900% without telling the player in the hopes they would buy Bright Engrams. Where are you drawing the line here fry cook?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Perhaps the people I talk to are weirdos - but for them, the grinding IS part of the gameplay - plus as I stated and you skipped past, isn't there a sub option that unlocks most of it anyhow if you're willing to commit X per month? (I know some MOBAs do, but perhaps LoL doesn't)

Vaclav

So if a game is F2P it's ok if they have gambling, but if it's a "AAA" box game then it's not ok for them to have gambling? Why should there be a double standard on whether or not gambling is acceptable in games?

A F2P has to be almost entirely monetized via MTX or else those people don't have anything to receive a paycheck from - when they're selling a retail product, they're getting a cut of the sales cost of every product that leaves the door; MTX for them is a bonus check, not the entire income stream. It's not a hard concept.

• 2Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
A F2P has to be almost entirely monetized via MTX or else those people don't have anything to receive a paycheck from - when they're selling a retail product, they're getting a cut of the sales cost of every product that leaves the door; MTX for them is a bonus check, not the entire income stream. It's not a hard concept.

Common sense/ Vaclav Vaclav 1. Mcdonalds Chef: 0.

This isn't a hard to grasp concept so something is telling me the trolling is strong with this one.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

So it's ok for them to implement gambling in their MTX because they need to make a living but it's not ok if they're charging for the base game too because then they're just robbing all the children of the world who have credit cards?

I used fucking League of Legends as the example because they literally use gambling and paywalls to avoid massively long grinds because those are things you two complain about (lootboxes/shadows of war grind).

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So it's ok for them to implement gambling in their MTX because they need to make a living but it's not ok if they're charging for the base game too?

upload_2017-11-29_10-56-26.jpeg

Vaclav

So it's ok for them to implement gambling in their MTX because they need to make a living but it's not ok if they're charging for the base game too?

I used fucking League of Legends as the example because they literally use gambling and paywalls to avoid massively long grinds because those are things you two complain about (lootboxes/shadows of war grind).

As a consumer isn't it better to have all the cost known up front? We already in a retail product are given the option between a $60 normal, $90 "upgraded" edition, and a $120-250 collector's edition if we want extra bells and whistles. It gets exceptionally scummy in stuff like Battlefront 2 where their advertising includes things that CANNOT BE GOTTEN WITHOUT ADDITIONAL EXPENSE in their commercials and print ads - they are advertising an experience that if it was done in a car ad would have to include a "Not all features included are standard" blurb. Having it in the ad with no caveats implies it's part of the real experience - yet it's actually in the +$10 or whatever experience - like a form of bait and switch.

And at least most F2P recently I've seen are either: a) cosmetic bullshit or b) upfront about their MTX from day one. [They might exaggerate the ease of F2P but they at least are clear that MTX exists from the getgo]

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yes or no, Vaclav: Gambling is ok for a free to play game like League of Legends but it's just evil scumbags robbing children and ruining their lives if it's a box game.

If they are including it in their ads like car companies have to then what are they doing wrong (other than not making a product you want)?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Let me break this down for you in a way you can understand.

1) Free to play game with pay to win mechanics, cosmetics - No one cares. We do not buy the game to begin with, and most of us stay away from them anyway.

2) AAA Buy to play game with MTX's for cosmetics only as long as you can still get cosmetics in game without an artificial grind?

FINE.

3) AAA Buy to play game with MTX's for cosmetics when an artificial grind has been installed to drive you to give up and buy cosmetics via MTX, or in the case of Destiny 2, flat out LIE about experience gains to the player on screen...

NOT FINE.

4) AAA Buy to play game with MTX's in single player to speed up progression where the game isn't artificially lengthened to drive people to do so?

FINE. (Although I would never pay for it)

5) AAA Buy to play game with MTX's in single player to speed up progression where the game was artificially stalled to frustrate players to see an ending in a game?

NOT FINE.

6) AAA Game with Pay to win mechanics in Multiplayer?

DEFINITELY NOT FINE.

Write this down on a poster and throw it on your ceiling.

• 2Solidarity

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
How about this: The MCU movies all tie together in one huge overarching world (game). The movies are split up into a bunch of different pieces that you have to buy individually (dlc). They have movies planned out well before the previous ones release (withholding parts of the game). Should the government step in and regulate them?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
How about this: The MCU movies all tie together in one huge overarching world (game). The movies are split up into a bunch of different pieces that you have to buy individually (dlc). They have movies planned out well before the previous ones release (withholding parts of the game). Should the government step in and regulate them?

Not even close. Wrong Analogy.

Take your 2 hour movie, cut it down to 45 minutes for the same ticket price without telling anyone before they saw it, and then 2 months later release the other half of the movie for the same ticket price.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Not even close. Wrong Analogy.

Take your 2 hour movie, cut it down to 45 minutes for the same ticket price without telling anyone before they saw it, and then 2 months later release the other half of the movie for the same ticket price.

Soooo... Starcraft 2? :)

• 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user