Grand Theft Auto IIIII - HDD City Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Just noticed this on EBGames as I was going though adding things to my want list....goes to a 404 page atm but still

rrr_img_36525.png

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
None of Rockstar's other games* this gen have gone above 640p, and they used heavy amounts of dithering to even get the resolution that high, so unless they invested a hell of a lot of time and money into improving the Euphoria engine that "in-game footage" isn't from a console either.

*-Max Payne 3 was full 720p on both consoles, but it was also a linear shooter with relatively small levels.

Sean_sl

shitlord
None of Rockstar's other games* this gen have gone above 640p, and they used heavy amounts of dithering to even get the resolution that high, so unless they invested a hell of a lot of time and money into improving the Euphoria engine that "in-game footage" isn't from a console either.

*-Max Payne 3 was full 720p on both consoles, but it was also a linear shooter with relatively small levels.
Rockstar says it's all PS3 footage:http://www.rockstargames.com/newswir...html/#comments

Just to clarify for those asking, this particular video was captured with footage from the PS3 version of the game.

Also, make sure to check out a pair of Q&A's we did with Game Informer that debuted today with more details on customization and gun combat in GTAV (along with some new screens), plus an interview for French speaking fans at Jeuxactu:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/gr...omization.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/gr...un-combat.aspx

http://www.jeuxactu.com/gta-5-interv...ages-88398.htm

The latest @GTA 5 o'clock also features an exclusive interview with Rockstar North:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBpTePVmdmg

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fairly impressive then, given how godawful the graphics in GTA IV and RDR were on the PS3. I'll definitely be getting (renting) the PS3 version while waiting for the PC release if it looks that good. Here's to hoping they got someone with at least a rudimentary understanding of vehicle physics this time around--note to R*: a car based on a new Lexus or BMW shouldn't handle like it has leaf springs as its only suspension. I found GTA IV practically unplayable on the PS3 for that reason alone, while the PC version at least had mods to fix it.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Maybe I should have looked for mods before deleting GTA4. The character and vehicle controls made that game a stain on my HDD.

Juvarisx

Florida
I am sure they learned their lessons from 4, and I think this video showed that. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment in any case. Remember Read Dead Redemption came out AFTER GTA4 did as well (two years later I think) and it was fantastic, I think they are really trying to win the fans of the series back.

Sean_sl

shitlord
And Xbox1 games at the E3 this year where being played on Xbox1s.
Different. No one ever claimed those were running on Xbones.

I'm going to give a company as well renowned as Rockstar the benefit of the doubt when they say something. The game doesn't lookgreatgraphically anyways, it's about what I'd expect out of the end of this generation from an open world game. The big thing is that it's a step up from Rockstar's usual ugly engines. It's not special, it's just better than their usual shit.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
They will end up with a pc version conveniently at the same time as the ps4/xbone version for all those 360/ps3 players to buy again.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I will wait for the PS4 version. I'm pretty much done buying anymore current genre games.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Been replaying 4 and San Andreas over the past week in anticipation of the new title. Its an interesting experience. In some ways, playing San Andreas after so long and playing 4 along side it has given me a new appreciation for some of the quality of life improvements and under the hood improvements 4 went through. I've come to the conclusion that I look back at San Andreas and Vice City with a certain degree of rose tinted glasses that I think in retrospect probably made GTA 4 feel like a worst game than it actually was. It wasn't perfect, and a lot of things left out from SA to 4 would have been nice to see iterated upon, like the stats and physical training stuff, but at the same time, the sandbox aspects of 4, like driving, shooting, fighting, they're all so much better. So so much better.

For instance, keeping your guns after you die, while a causalization of the game in a way, is really fucking nice. There's a ridiculous amount of downtime if you fail a mission in San Andreas where you have to run back to buy new weapons or acquire new weapons before heading back to the mission, in 4 you keep your guns, and can immediately call a cab to take you right back to the mission. This cuts a shit load of superificial running around doing jack and shit out and is a huge quality of life improvement on the old mechanics.

Where I used to think 4 fell apart the most, the story, I really have changed my opinion as well. San Andreas has a better overarching story line, this is without doubt. CJ's story is fun, because its couched in a somewhat interesting time period and place in American history that's relevant to most people in their 20s to 30s (the age range that primarily the game was targetted towards) so it catches you and doesn't really let go. However, the actual mission storylines, and dialogues, are, for large part, better in 4 than San Andreas. Nico is a more likable character, you sympathize with him and his plight. Michelle really feels like a back stabbing bitch, Roman really comes across as an annoying family member, etc. Brucie is probably the most ridiculous character, and he isn't too outrageous. Whereas in San Andreas, 90% of the dialogue from Ryder Big Smoke et all is just "C'mon CJ, why's yous a busta!" for the first like 10 plus hours of the game. Its pretty stupid in retrospect.

Anyway, I guess my point is that 4 is not as bad in my mind as some people have made it out to be, and with Red Dead and Max Payne 3 both being relatively excellent games (some might disagree on MP3 but I thought it was a fantastic game personally) I'm pretty excited to see how 5 pans out. If I'm still able to play SA and 4 this many years later I expect 5 will give us a very solid title to play for years to come.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any tips on getting San Andreas to work with Steam/Win7? I am having zero luck, it won't even load. Seems to run just ducky on my WinXP box at work, so maybe I'll just grab a spare HD and fire up a copy of XP for my home box for the purpose.

As far as GTA4 goes, it was actually the first GTA I played and finished. I'd fucked around a bit with VC and SA at friend's places and stuff, but never more than an hour or two. I really enjoyed the hell out of GTA4. I thought the storyline, voice acting, animation and so on were all excellent. Graphics were good appearance wise, but performance was shit. Car driving dynamics were meh. The Ballad of Gay Tony was even better story/mission wise, in my opinion. I enjoyed it so much that I went back and played GTA3, which was meh by comparison but I'm sure amazing by the standards of the time. VC was also a lot of fun, although personally I have zero interest in some of the shit they emphasized in it in terms of clothes, buying clubs and so on.

So I'd really like to get SA out of the way before 5 comes out.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Anyone have any tips on getting San Andreas to work with Steam/Win7?
It runs for me but I have to go into the task manager when I first start up the game and set affinity to one core only or the mouse will randomly stop responding at different times in the game. Also the newest patch simply won't let you do 1920x1080, have to revert back a build to enable it for some reason, Rockstar has never bothered to fix it.

Try setting compatibility for XP before starting the game, there's also some ideas out there on Steam forums and the like, but nothing seems to work 100% for everyone, so its more something you have to google around and troubleshoot.

There is one or two .dll files for directx (not sure of the names) that if your Win 7 are missing might make the game crash on startup. Win7 and SA are weird, some people have no problems, some have only minor ones, others like yourself can't get it to run and can't figure out why. Its weird.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I had the mouse issues with VC and got it working by disabling some of the HID's in the device manager. I've done a fair amount of googling and tweaking based on that, and haven't had much luck. It's kind of bullshit that Steam sells games that flat out don't fucking work.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The problem is Rockstar is selling the game on Steam but won't support it with any new patches, despite the fact that you know that shit sells during steam sales enough to warrant it.

SuperManGimme_sl

shitlord
The problem is Rockstar is selling the game on Steam but won't support it with any new patches, despite the fact that you know that shit sells during steam sales enough to warrant it.
Well, its possible that will change this time around. Rockstar seems to be focusing a lot on filling the holes in the previous games. A part of that should be a seemless, functional experience on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.