Grand Theft Auto V

Skrigg

Golden Squire
So am I correct in assuming there is no difference in getting a steam key or a rockstar social club cd key? Both versions require you to play MP through the social club interface yes?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, RSSC is like UPlay. Steam will just launch it so it can launch the game. No reason not to just buy it from GMG or wherever it's cheapest unless you absolutely must have the Steam overlay or (lol) achievements.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Eh Steam does automatic updating that is way more convenient that GOG or probably Rockstar's service. GOG, I love my polish brothers dearly, but is slow as shit for all downloads and updates, etc.

But the lack of DRM at GOG is the trade off, though in this case its irrelevant because the Rockstar service is a DRM as well.

Its really all about personal preferences at that point.

I prefer Steam just because of ease and convenience.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I highly doubt Rockstar would ever allow patches to go up on Steam before they go up on their own service, plus I think the game will update like a MMO (meaning Steam will give you a patch for a new launcher, which will in turn patch the game itself). GOG isn't the same thing at all, except in the case of The Witcher series. UPlay is a much more apt comparison.

Regardless, unless you buy the game--and pay full price--from Steam directly you're not getting a Steam key. AFAIK every other retailer is selling RSSC keys only.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So tried it a bit. It's 2.30 am and have to get up at 6 to go to a work course for 2 days, so can't play anymore.

- Pre-download took twice the space to install. So had to work quickly to delete everything else on the HDD while installing/decrypting it. On a 120gig HDD it will be down to 1.2gb left when it finishes.

Actual game
- Switching on auto aim for a controller will give you the information that you will be paired with people using similar settings if playing online with a notice of being at a disadvantage if you use Keyboard/mouse while on an autoaim setting.

- Graphical settings. There are lots of options to turn on, and with me on a 880GTX (on a ASUS laptop) it defaulted most to on. I turned on everything I could to max at 1080p. It lists the MB required for the various options, which is nice since it gives you an idea which options use a lot of memory. Seems to max out at around 3 gigs, though I am not sure if there are more things that can be turned on if you have a higher version graphics card. I could not change the draw distance for the shadow slider, but that is the only one that is greyed out.

- It runs perfectly smooth so far. Only at the start after delivering the cars to Simeon, and took the time to drive around a bit. Everything is "crisper" from further away. Though even at the lowest setting of motion blur, you do notice what can only be described as "lag?" in the textures becoming sharp again. Not something you notice while driving, but if you stand inside a house and spin around, you will see it. Though it might also be related to the "soften" setting, as for a second, textures look like you used the soften tool from Photoshop on them.

First impressions from 40 or so minutes. Seems like a good port. Only broken thing I noticed was the benchmark. It started the game at the same time as the benchmark causing some strange loops, and it quit the game. Plus side, with even a halfway decent graphics card, it is doubtful you will need to benchmark your way to the best settings. Just put it to max and go.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
So tried it a bit. It's 2.30 am and have to get up at 6 to go to a work course for 2 days, so can't play anymore.

- Pre-download took twice the space to install. So had to work quickly to delete everything else on the HDD while installing/decrypting it. On a 120gig HDD it will be down to 1.2gb left when it finishes.
Well poop, no doubt my install will be buggy. Just got back from a cruise, I'm at 39gb / 60 downloaded, only 80gig total free on my SSD. Shoulda used my bigger drive, but love the speed too much ;\

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Apparently this is a thing

rrr_img_94638.jpg

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Well poop, no doubt my install will be buggy. Just got back from a cruise, I'm at 39gb / 60 downloaded, only 80gig total free on my SSD. Shoulda used my bigger drive, but love the speed too much ;\
Might not be. It's possible that it only affected the people who had the encrypted pre-order version. If you started the download after it is launched now, it might only download the actual install size.

It is 60.6 gig now. So if you started the download earlier, then maybe cancel it to make sure you download the released version. I think the pre-order bonus should still apply since it is tied to your code. First time you launch the game, it asks you what your rockstar social account is, then it asks you to link your steam to it, auto generates the code, and lists your pre-order bonuses. Money is applied once you finish delivering the first cars to Simeon. I have $500.380

Note: In game, under the settings for the media recorder that the PC version has with it, it has 25 gigs set aside for that. Not using it, but with me it says 0.0GB of 25GB Max.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Took just over an hour to decrypt the damn thing, but no issues once that was done. Didn't get to play much before I had to go to work. People always get sick when I actually have something to do on my day off.

xasiklas

Lord Nagafen Raider
I cannot believe it, I woke up at 5am so that I could play a bit before work, and the goddamned thing is still decrypting

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It took forever for it to decrypt for me.

Like 2 hours.

My hard drive needs more RPMs.