Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The store had pork butt steaks today, never seen that before but I have heard of them being a St Louis thing. So now I just have to figure out what to do with them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have that exact one, it's awesome, dont' forget to pick up
Amazon.com : Gasone Butane Fuel Canister (4pack) : Backpacking Stoves : Sports Outdoors

if you live near an asian grocer, the butane will be WAY cheaper, just ask for the butane for "hot pots"

But one can will last you a LONG time, I'm still on my first can, probably went through a lot of cows and fish already with it.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
The store had pork butt steaks today, never seen that before but I have heard of them being a St Louis thing. So now I just have to figure out what to do with them.
I've got a couple pork steaks thawing, and I'm going to try something different tomorrow.

I'm going to sear them, then lower the heat and let them cook for a couple hours with yellow bell peppers, onions, and pear butter. Pear butter is basically apple butter, but with pears if that wasn't obvious. Should be interesting.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
interesting. I was thinking of just grilling them like normal steaks, but nah. Then I thought about doing some kind of barbecue grill, but nah. Then I considered slow cooking. idk. I will do some research, probably going to cook them next week. With my new job, slow cooker is really appealing because I have a hell of a commute. I was considering just spicing it up like I would a pulled pork and slow cooking.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Bros, I'm looking for a good 12" saute pan (curved sides, not straight) with a lid. I can find plenty without a lid. Nonstick. Anyone have one they can recommend?

The Master

Bronze Squire
Bros, I'm looking for a good 12" saute pan (curved sides, not straight) with a lid. I can find plenty without a lid. Nonstick. Anyone have one they can recommend?
If you want real Teflon (as opposed to the nigh identical equivalents) it has be made by someone who has a license from Dupont. You can check their website, I think it is Farberware, TeChef, Tramontina, and Mainstays right now (the last is the Walmart brand, so I doubt it is any good). Alternatively, find a restaurant supply store and pick up one for like $10. Replace every 2-3 years. If you aren't happy with the lid, buy a universal lid (~$20, the good ones will work with basically anything, which can be kind of nice).

I will say the TeChef stuff is pretty nice. If I wasn't so happy with the restaurant supply route I'd buy one of theirs.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im surprised cooks actually use teflon, i thought it was steel or cast iron only. i have been converting all my stuff to steel/cast iron since i saw a bunch of people talk about the toxic properties of Teflon. even the instructions of some of these teflon pans give warnings about removing small animals from the room while cooking.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You have a habit of putting your teflon pans under the broiler for an hour?

Teflon is only dangerous when it heats to 500f+ and starts releasing gasses. Of course if you let a teflon pan get that hot you probably have other things to worry about.

my wife is obsessed with fumes and toxins from cooking materials lately. i swear everything in my kitchen is steel at this point. it's almost overwhelming to look at

Gravy

Bronze Squire
If you want real Teflon (as opposed to the nigh identical equivalents) it has be made by someone who has a license from Dupont. You can check their website, I think it is Farberware, TeChef, Tramontina, and Mainstays right now (the last is the Walmart brand, so I doubt it is any good). Alternatively, find a restaurant supply store and pick up one for like $10. Replace every 2-3 years. If you aren't happy with the lid, buy a universal lid (~$20, the good ones will work with basically anything, which can be kind of nice).

I will say the TeChef stuff is pretty nice. If I wasn't so happy with the restaurant supply route I'd buy one of theirs.
I've got a Tramontina 12" fryer, and I really like it. I might go with their saute pan and try a universal lid. I think Costco had the pan for 29.99.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can't imagine cooking something like eggs(scrambled or fried) or any grilled sandwich in a non-teflon pan. So much sticking...

But yeah, teflon pans are cheap. Just plan on buying a new one every year or two once the one you have has some scratches or nicks in it. You really don't want to cook in a teflon pan that has a lot of the surface area compromised with scratches and abrasions. Teflon pans are basically disposable. $10-$20 every other year for a new one. There's no point in buying an expensive teflon pan, that craps all the same, you wouldn't want to use the same one for 10+ years like you would steel or cast iron anyways.