Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have that exact one, it's awesome, dont' forget to pick up
Amazon.com : Gasone Butane Fuel Canister (4pack) : Backpacking Stoves : Sports Outdoors

if you live near an asian grocer, the butane will be WAY cheaper, just ask for the butane for "hot pots"

But one can will last you a LONG time, I'm still on my first can, probably went through a lot of cows and fish already with it.
I bought the Iwatani and went to the Korean grocery right by my house. Thanks for the tip. Got 4 huge cans of butane for 6 bucks. Amazon wanted more than twice that(more than triple if you want the Iwatani brand canisters). Anyway, this thing kicks ass. I wish I had one of these when I was a pyromaniac kid! Ok...maybe not.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I own like 9 cast iron pans and I love them all, but I still have a cheap ass walmart teflon pan that I use to cook eggs. I just got a new one and used it for the first time this morning and it is so magical. There's no point in spending more than $12 for a non-stick pan and just throw it away when the surface gets fucked up.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Did a sous-vide pork chop with a hazelnut romesco and roasted carrots last night. I did the pork at 144*F but turned out more medium than medium-rare which was disappointing but was still good.

I need to find a good local butcher shop where I can get some nice thick bone-in chops.

rrr_img_82184.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I tried the chicken (boneless breasts and thighs) in the crockpot with salsa thing last week. I added some fresh minced garlic and some polish sausage slices to it. It tasted quite a bit like gumbo over rice. Tonight im doing it and adding okra to it. Its fucking easy gumbo recipe. more surprising is the kids fucking ate that shit up and asked me to make it again, score!

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Got a question for you foodies. Is there anything you can drink that makes spicy food worse? Kinda like opposite effect milk and other dairy products will have? I intend to use this information for nefarious purposes in case anyone is wondering.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Got a question for you foodies. Is there anything you can drink that makes spicy food worse? Kinda like opposite effect milk and other dairy products will have? I intend to use this information for nefarious purposes in case anyone is wondering.
Cold water ranks #1 for making the burning sensation worse. Anything with alcohol, anything acidic, anything with fat, anything with sugar, and anything warm would be at the bottom of the list. Which is almost everything else, so there aren't a lot of good options.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
So I got my Anova Precision last week and decided to test it out with some NY strip. I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with how well it came out and how easy it was.

I started it off at 135, but a few minutes in dropped it down to 130, which is about perfect for medium-rare.

HUe0rJn.png

This is a picture of one of the steaks in the water bath after about 10 minutes. I just added salt, a pat of butter and a few sprigs of thyme.

bvQ8WY5.png

I dropped them in around 4pm and took them out a bit over 3 hours later, mainly due to playing WoW and drinking beer taking precedent. Needless to say, when I took them out, they did not look appealing at all.

ZLHUKDa.png

After a quick(maybe a minute or so each steak) blowtorching, the end result:

TePUGK3.png

They were perfectly cooked, tender and tasted great.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Joeboo could do that on his grill in 5 minutes while playing WoW.

Was going to go with something worse, damn this subforum's rules limiting my bad jokes.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Nice job Soy, did you make any sides?
My girlfriend wasn't over on Saturday, so I didn't bother making a 'real' dinner. My sides were beer and more beer. I also made a batch of soft pretzels! Shit was good. I could use some work on my pretzel-shaping technique.

R2EdefT.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I tried the traditional pretzel shape then said fuck it and just ball them up. Easier to split open and butter, eat with soup.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Hah.
giphy.gif

Yeah, I should just stick with a ball or 'stick' shape.