Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If your cast iron is really well seasoned and used, it's pretty good with eggs. But yeah, in general, non-stick/teflon is just so much easier to deal with with stuff like that

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I can't imagine cooking something like eggs(scrambled or fried) or any grilled sandwich in a non-teflon pan. So much sticking...

But yeah, teflon pans are cheap. Just plan on buying a new one every year or two once the one you have has some scratches or nicks in it. You really don't want to cook in a teflon pan that has a lot of the surface area compromised with scratches and abrasions. Teflon pans are basically disposable. $10-$20 every other year for a new one. There's no point in buying an expensive teflon pan, that craps all the same, you wouldn't want to use the same one for 10+ years like you would steel or cast iron anyways.
i dunno, as long as you have a smooth surface and oil/butter/crisco on the pan and its not superheated the eggs should go flying around that cast iron pan. never had eggs sticking in mine.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think it's that ppl weren't taught to cook w/o teflon and "seasoning" a surface.

just do the pan + water test. Heat a steal pan w/ nothing in it for 1min, drop a sprinkle of water, if it sizzles, drop some oil/butter. (i do a oil butter mix) watch out for what kind of oil you use, different smoke points and all, when the butter is melted into the oil, you can swish it around and drop a few eggs and it won't stick.

of course seasoned cast iron pan is natures teflon!

also those "green" pans don't work for shit, i just bought 2 different ones (from amazon, just high ratings) they worked for like 5 eggs, then stick, and yea i followed cleaning instructions... blah blah.

The Master

Bronze Squire
im surprised cooks actually use teflon, i thought it was steel or cast iron only. i have been converting all my stuff to steel/cast iron since i saw a bunch of people talk about the toxic properties of Teflon. the instructions of some of these teflon pans give warnings about removing small animals from the room while cooking.
This is one of those things that has been pretty overblown. Unless you leave an empty pan on a burner for an extended period of time you won't get any fumes. With brand new pans the highest level is about 100 times lower than studies suggest is harmful to animals for ongoing exposure. Pans that have gotten a few uses, then even that drops off to near nothing. Nonstick has specific uses and limitations, just like most things in the kitchen.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Went to Costco tonight to get a pan, didn't like any they had, including some 'green' pans. On the plus side, did pick up a $5 roasted chicken.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
dude just go to walmart and buy a Lodge 10 inch cast iron pan and give it a try. it will cost you 15-20 bucks, lasts several lifetimes, adds iron into your food and comes already seasoned.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Actually, I've got 2 - 12" cast iron pans I've had forever, and a few others. I'll probably just 'stick' with what I've got.

I approve of your pro-cast iron policy.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Actually, I've got 2 - 12" cast iron pans I've had forever, and a few others. I'll probably just 'stick' with what I've got.

I approve of your pro-cast iron policy.
ive been into cast iron for at least a year now, i find everything tastes better since i started cooking with it. i also have a 12" Lodge pan. it wrist rapes me every time i clean it. the weight makes my carpal tunnel act up. so i no longer hold it over the sink to clean it. i now lean it in the sink and scrub downward. great pan though.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Cast iron is the best, but man if I haven't burned my fucking hand 100 times on them.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Cast iron is the best, but man if I haven't burned my fucking hand 100 times on them.
Rough stuff, I got into the habit of holding every pan with a kitchen towel in cooking school after burning myself a ton (regardless of pan temp). Still do it to this day.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I try to be extra careful now, but I do like my beer on the weekend...

Gravy

Bronze Squire
ive been into cast iron for at least a year now, i find everything tastes better since i started cooking with it. i also have a 12" Lodge pan. it wrist rapes me every time i clean it. the weight makes my carpal tunnel act up. so i no longer hold it over the sink to clean it. i now lean it in the sink and scrub downward. great pan though.
You are right, the 12" pans are heavy as fuck. They seem to get heavier every year, and yeah, my wrist hurts when I wash it.

I use one for frying chicken and cooking steak. The other I like to use for spaghetti and meatballs. It's the way I learned how to make them from an old boss of mine who used to cook for us on Saturdays. But the acid in the tomato sauce is horrible for the pan, so I keep them separate.

Does anyone have an enamel coated cast iron dutch oven? I think I'd like one. I've got an uncoated one.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Rough stuff, I got into the habit of holding every pan with a kitchen towel in cooking school after burning myself a ton (regardless of pan temp). Still do it to this day.
Yeah, I learned that trick pretty quickly when I was working as a cook, still do it. Drives my kids crazy - "Dad, that one isn't hot. You're being silly."

Habits, my children.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You are right, the 12" pans are heavy as fuck. They seem to get heavier every year, and yeah, my wrist hurts when I wash it.

I use one for frying chicken and cooking steak. The other I like to use for spaghetti and meatballs. It's the way I learned how to make them from an old boss of mine who used to cook for us on Saturdays. But the acid in the tomato sauce is horrible for the pan, so I keep them separate.

Does anyone have an enamel coated cast iron dutch oven? I think I'd like one. I've got an uncoated one.

I use one pan for everything, I never have any problem with acidic sauces but I am pretty nazi about oiling and cleaning my pan.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dunno what I would do without my 3.75 quart Le Creuset chicken fryer my parents gave me.

rrr_img_82162.jpg

old pic before I put a new coating on it.