Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
My girlfriend wasn't over on Saturday, so I didn't bother making a 'real' dinner. My sides were beer and more beer. I also made a batch of soft pretzels! Shit was good. I could use some work on my pretzel-shaping technique.

R2EdefT.png
Those pretzels look great to me. Just the right color.

And I'm not chop busting, but your sous vide results look identical to what I did the ghetto way in the beer cooler.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Despite the shape, the pretzels were awesome. I ate almost the entire batch.

And I'm not chop busting, but your sous vide results look identical to what I did the ghetto way in the beer cooler.
Yup, I would expect as much. They are the identical technique. The cooler is just a bit more manual as far as setting the temp.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Making a Cuban-stuffed pork roast tonight with black beans.

Stuffing the roast with ham and swiss or havarti. Doing a dry rub with cumin, cayenne, garlic, and a little salt.

Then I'm going to make a citrus and mexican oregano sauce for the top.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You can base the sauce around pickles, like a relish. Gotta have mustard and pickles with cubans though, essential flavors.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I would suggest making the relish yourself if at all. My wife and I have been making our own pickles lately and even variations of brands of the same type of vinegar has a profound effect on the resulting pickle. Really annoying because it can trick you into thinking they are spoiled.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
My wife used some of my leftover spent-grains from brewing to make hamburger buns last night. Came out a little "whole-wheat" looking because they were grains from a stout but they were pretty damn tasty. Nothing beats a homemade hamburger, even better when you can add the homemade bun. My wife and my Mom have been basically having a contest to see who can bake what with my leftover brewing grains so I've gotten a ton a bread, pizza crusts, etc. It is a nice little perk to my homebrewing hobby considering I already get beer.

rrr_img_82955.jpg

Also speaking of using beer in cooking, I'm doing a brined turkey with beer in it for my Friendsgiving this weekend. Will report back on how it works out. Last year I deep fried the turkey which was great but dealing with the oil was a pain in the ass, and expensive, so I got one ofthese infrared roastersto do my turkey this year.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What exactly is spent grain? This is the stuff the yeast has already munched?
Byproduct of brewing (all grain brewing, not extract brewing). You basically soak/boil grains to remove sugars that will flavor beer and feed the yeast. There is always left over grain that still has some residual sugars as well as other parts. Having something to do with that spent grain rather than throwing it out is pretty nice. Most small-size professional breweries will donate it to farmers or cooks/chefs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So besides free company frozen turkeys,

I see .59/lb (with 25$ purchase) near me so far is the best turkey deal. Think i'll get two!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I bought a turkey like 2 weeks ago and while getting some stuff out of my deep freeze accidentally left it out for about 15 hours in the basement. It wasn't even fully defrosted when i found it, but I was so pissed. So, because I can't risk that with my kids, I went out and bought another turkey. But of course saved the other one, imma cook that shit up and assuming i dont die I'll have lunches for a month.