Gravy's Cooking Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So I volunteered to make cookies for our office potluck thing. I'm making chocolate chip or something for sure, and then I have to make something gluten free which i have never done before. Any ideas?
Tell them to sack up and just eat it. Unless you are making cookies for over 100 people, odds are none of them have celiac disease. And if 1 person does, they are used to bringing their own food to events. I'm not going to go out of my way to make food for a small minority of people in a group who just willingly choose not to eat something for no real reason. If thats the case, they can randomly choose to not eat my cookies.

Touched a nerve there, I'm in a small office (less than 10 people) and we can NEVER order food as a group for events, because 1 lady is randomly vegan and throws a fit if ALL the food we order isn't vegan. Can't order pizza, cant cater in anything for the office without her bitching. HOW ABOUT YOU BRING YOUR OWN GODDAMNED FOOD AND NOT FORCE YOUR STUPID EATING HABITS ON OTHERS.

/rant off

Vitality

HUSTLE
I agree with joeboo even though I'm that guy. I usually just stick to my own food and turn down people. I work in an office where there's always baked goods everywhere. I have no problem not eating them.

Like I said previously though, I usually go for rice crispies/macaroons.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The one guy we have with celiac is just a cool dude and I am sure gets the short end of the stick at these types of things, plus I just wanted to try it and see if I can make it taste good.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Pour chocolate ganache all over some rice crispy treats. It's super easy.

8oz semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup cream

Melt in a double boiller, or low heat stirring often, then pour it over anything.

Possible add-ins:

a teaspoon of instant coffee or a shot of dark rum

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea poor guy w/ celiac disease, like vitality said, macaroons.

holy fuck were these hard to do when i tried them last year, the most important thing for me was getting very fine almond flour

Amazon.com : Almond Flour - Fine - 1 bag, 1 lb : Grocery Gourmet Food

at first i did sliver'd almonds and ground them up myself, with a burr grinder made for espresso.

that bag lead to better non cracking macaroons, all they are is almond flour/egg whites and sugar(powered)

measurements to the gram, i got lazy and just used nutella for filling.

nutella is also 9/10 gluten free according to this gluten blog
Is Nutella Gluten-Free? The Gluten-Free Blog

Gravy

Bronze Squire
So I promised I'd report back on my beer-brined turkey and new infrared roaster. The beer brine worked out great. I let it brine for two days then pulled it out and left it uncovered for 1 day.Recipe here.

The roaster worked better than advertised. The instructions said about 10 minutes per pound of turkey. I had a 20lb turkey that was technically overdone (white to about 170*F) in just 2 hours and 20 minutes. Even though I overshot the temp a bit the meat was still nice and moist, just slightly tougher than I would have liked. Despite that everyone was raving about how good it was and how it easily was equal to the deep-fried turkey I did the year previous. It did perfect crispy skin as well.
Have you used the smoker or grilling options on that cooker?

Vitality

HUSTLE
The one guy we have with celiac is just a cool dude and I am sure gets the short end of the stick at these types of things, plus I just wanted to try it and see if I can make it taste good.
Don't feel too bad, when you have celiacs (or other gluten problems like it) you literally have no love for most baked goods lol.

I look at all those doughnuts and cookies and just picture me losing an hour or two (through out the day) in the bathroom if I even try it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Don't feel too bad, when you have celiacs (or other gluten problems like it) you literally have no love for most baked goods lol.

I look at all those doughnuts and cookies and just picture me losing an hour or two (through out the day) in the bathroom if I even try it.
I'm allergic to peanuts and have the same line of thought. People always say shit like "Oh man that sucks so bad! No Reese's, etc!" The smell alone of peanuts gives me chills. There's no love lost.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
As a CIA/LCB trained professional who has worked side by side with Hubert Keller, Joel Robuchon, Alain Ducasse, Mike Chang, and recently helped my good friend Ludo set up a new menu at Trois Mec, I will normally never post in this ridiculous thread but this may be the single greatest 8 minute tutorial I have ever seen on Thanksgiving:

Fucking enjoy.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
As a CIA/LCB trained professional who has worked side by side with Hubert Keller, Joel Robuchon, Alain Ducasse, Mike Chang, and recently helped my good friend Ludo set up a new menu at Trois Mec, I will normally never post in this ridiculous thread
Someoneis probably very impressed with these words.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not saying you guys are wrong about the douchey condescending preamble, but the video is pretty good.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I enjoyed the video too.
smile.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ludo set up a new menu at Trois Mec, I will normally never post in this ridiculous thread but this may be the single greatest 8 minute tutorial I have ever seen on
Ludo was very boring on "the taste" and seemed really "hammy" at least he was better than Nigella, but a dog staring at cooked turkey would be more informative than her.