Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
As a CIA/LCB trained professional who has worked side by side with Hubert Keller, Joel Robuchon, Alain Ducasse, Mike Chang, and recently helped my good friend Ludo set up a new menu at Trois Mec, I will normally never post in this ridiculous thread but this may be the single greatest 8 minute tutorial I have ever seen on Thanksgiving:

Fucking enjoy.
I really like her. And that was a great video. She's right, when i first started cooking I took everything so seriously, trying to match these recipes and measurements exactly. Now I'm just like whatever.

But I must ask: Am I like the only person in the world who genuinely loves turkey and looks forward to this?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I look forward to Thanksgiving but just for the tradition. I would never go to a restaurant and order turkey and only put it on a sandwich if there is no ham/salami/pastrami/corned beef/roast beef left. Turkey is pretty fucking bland.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Someoneis probably very impressed with these words.
I don't even know what they mean. I am guessing it is some professional chef stuff.

One of these days I'm going to pop into the Computer Repair thread and tell them all how fucking stupid their thread is and all about my laundry list of IT accomplishment and why they should be sterilized. But not today!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I look forward to Thanksgiving but just for the tradition. I would never go to a restaurant and order turkey and only put it on a sandwich if there is no ham/salami/pastrami/corned beef/roast beef left. Turkey is pretty fucking bland.
Yeah I have to say I would never go to a restaurant and order turkey. Maybe it is the ritual of cooking it myself or something, idk. But I enjoy turkey sandwiches year round.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's when you know it's juicy to perfection in the breast, succulent in the thighs, and oh so crispy on the skin, half the ppl in the US are gonna fail at least one of these.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I smoked a turkey one year that just came out perfect. Just the right amount of smoke, and juicy on the inside. I've never been able to repeat it.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Was screwing around with that ultimate grilled cheese sandwich and think I struck gold by adding a small amount of Asiago Cheese on both sides and on the inside of the sandwich, add a small dash of hot sauce per bite and it's pretty good.

Does anyone have a homemade tomato soup recipe that will pair well with said grilled cheese?

I don't have any Thanksgiving stuff to look forward to, so I think I'm going to head over to a local Taqueira, pick up a ton of Barbacoa and just go wild on it tomorrow.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Turkey really isn't that flavorful. I wonder if I can convince my wife to drop next year in favor of another protein. The lady in the video isn't doing herself any favors by cooking her stuffing in the bird. Low flavor doesn't mean it has to be dry and mealy too.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't even know what they mean. I am guessing it is some professional chef stuff.

One of these days I'm going to pop into the Computer Repair thread and tell them all how fucking stupid their thread is and all about my laundry list of IT accomplishment and why they should be sterilized. But not today!
Oh cool. I'm having computer problems and I'll just skip that thread and PM you instead. You can be my computer guy!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, this is my thought on turkey as well. I love Thanksgiving turkey because it's Thanksgiving. I'd be even more stoked if the tradition was a porterhouse and cold beer.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Porterhouse your favorite? I do like it, but when I go out, I usually get a Rib-eye. At home, it's beef filet.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fillet isn't actually a distinct part of the animal. It can come from different areas on the cow(or any animal for that matter).

Though, it usually does mean tenderloin.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone have a homemade tomato soup recipe that will pair well with said grilled cheese?
There is a chain of diners in MT that is known for their tomato soup. This is allegedly the recipe for said soup. I haven't tried making it at home but it's pretty darn good in the restaurant.

4-B's Famous Tomato Soup Recipe
FOUND ONLINE - NOT TESTED
ALLEGEDLY FROM BILL HAINLINE HIMSELF
1 (29 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (10.5 oz.) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Cups of heavy cream or half-and-half.

Directions:
1. In a large stock pot mix tomatoes, chicken broth, margarine, onion, and baking soda. Simmer for 1 hour.
2. In a separate pot, heat cream over a low heat until hot, watching carefully so that the cream does not scorch! Once heated through add to tomato soup and serve.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Fillet isn't actually a distinct part of the animal. It can come from different areas on the cow(or any animal for that matter).

Though, it usually does mean tenderloin.
Yep, I meant to say tenderloin. The GOOD side of the porterhouse.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm curious. I would have just added the cream into the soup at the end. Are you really supposed to heat it separately?