Gravy's Cooking Thread

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Some people use baking soda to cut down on the metallic taste that comes with (some) canned tomatoes. Edit : It cuts the acidity of the tomatoes and keeps your cream from curdling.

I'm curious. I would have just added the cream into the soup at the end. Are you really supposed to heat it separately?
Helps prevent the cream from curdling.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Porterhouse your favorite? I do like it, but when I go out, I usually get a Rib-eye. At home, it's beef filet.
Porterhouse is my favorite if I can get a prime, dry-aged one at a place like Peter Luger. But for home-cooking, I like rib-eye or skirt steak. Skirt steak with a good marinade on the grill is so easy and good.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So I volunteered to make cookies for our office potluck thing. I'm making chocolate chip or something for sure, and then I have to make something gluten free which i have never done before. Any ideas?
God fuck that shit. Just make something and say it is gluten free. 99.9% of the stupid fucks on this planet have no idea what the fuck gluten is and why it is bad for a slight fraction of the population.

Yes it pisses me off seeing "gluten free" on bottles of olive oil or milk.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
It doesn't piss me off, but I do get a chuckle on the some of the shit they label as 'gluten free'. Oh, my oranges are gluten free?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Porterhouse is my favorite if I can get a prime, dry-aged one at a place like Peter Luger. But for home-cooking, I like rib-eye or skirt steak. Skirt steak with a good marinade on the grill is so easy and good.
That place is on my bucket list, is it worth the wait/price?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Costco sell a Roasted Red Pepper Tomato soup(Pacific is the brand) that comes in a box (like boxed wine) that is Damn good. Just pour it out, warm it up and you're done. Goddamn I love costco

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
There is a chain of diners in MT that is known for their tomato soup. This is allegedly the recipe for said soup. I haven't tried making it at home but it's pretty darn good in the restaurant.

4-B's Famous Tomato Soup Recipe
FOUND ONLINE - NOT TESTED
ALLEGEDLY FROM BILL HAINLINE HIMSELF
1 (29 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (10.5 oz.) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Cups of heavy cream or half-and-half.

Directions:
1. In a large stock pot mix tomatoes, chicken broth, margarine, onion, and baking soda. Simmer for 1 hour.
2. In a separate pot, heat cream over a low heat until hot, watching carefully so that the cream does not scorch! Once heated through add to tomato soup and serve.
Thanks Brutul.

Awesome tomato soup recipe. My wife is lactose intolerant, and when you make it like this, you don't even miss the milk/cream, plus it uses fresh ingredients:

Gordon Ramsay\u2019s Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe - Food.com

I've done this a lot, and it's 100% of the time good.
I actually found that recipe right after posting, but when I watched the actual show the ingredients show something totally different. I think I'll try both and see which is better.

Hekotat

Costco sell a Roasted Red Pepper Tomato soup(Pacific is the brand) that comes in a box (like boxed wine) that is Damn good. Just pour it out, warm it up and you're done. Goddamn I love costco
Too bad there isn't a Costco near me.

Hekotat

Took the liberty of watching that episode with his tomato soup recipe and wrote it down. He didn't say how much cream he used so I just guessed.

Ingredients

10 Tomatoes (on vine Small/Medium)
1 Whole Red onion (Small/Medium)
1 Large Clove Garlic
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Sugar
Splash Aged Balsamic Vinegar
Chicken Stock
? to 1 Cup Heavy Cream

Directions

Remove stem/core of Tomatoes, cut in halves.
Finely chop whole Onion and Garlic.
Place Olive Oil (liberal amount) in baking pan on top of stove (Med/High) with Onion and Garlic.
Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Add teaspoon of Cayenne.
Place tomatoes in pan flat side down (fill the pan).
Add Sugar.
Flip tomatoes flat side up and sprinkle Balsamic Vinegar on the top.
Place in Oven @350F for 20-25 mins.
Place pan back on stove and add Chicken stock, fill to half way up tomatoes. Break tomatoes in half with spoon and bring to a boil and let simmer 3-4 mins.
Add Heavy Cream.
Using a stick blender blend until smooth.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
That place is on my bucket list, is it worth the wait/price?
The couple times I've been, I didn't pay so it was definitely worth it! I usually go there when I see one of my vendors in NYC. Definitely one of the best steaks I've had, though I've had comparable ones for much less money.

There's a place on the west coast of FL(about a 90 min drive from me) called Andre's. It was started from a former Peter Luger employee it's basically an identical knock-off of Lugers(and every bit as good). I took my gf there a few months ago. Still expensive as shit, though. Nice for a 'once in a while' thing.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Definitely one of the best steaks I've had, though I've had comparable ones for much less money.
This is where I am with steak. I've been lucky enough to have some fantastic steaks, and they've varied in price from moderate to high. High being $40+ for a single serving steak.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Peter Luger also has that super thick-cut bacon. So good.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Gotta be honest, NYC wouldn't be my first choice for steak. It does look good though.

There's a steak place out here that I've never tried and they at one time had a 75 ounce steak challenge (eat entire meal, normally like $75, get it free) but after reading the rules and seeing something about being recorded on a webcam I was like "nope"

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What's crazy is some woman who is a competitive eater did it injust under 19 minutes.

Part of me wants that t-shirt and part of me isn't sure I want to wear a shirt that says something about me beating meat.

893548_10151361726546440_1922676004_o.jpg

===========

steakchallenge.jpg

The pickled beets seems odd but I might be able to do it. Not in 19m though (seriously da fuq)

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Jess and Jim's is one or was one of my favorite steak places, haven't been there in years. They have tiny button mushrooms there, so good.