Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had a rice cooker once, it was terrible.

Seriously, overcooked rubbery fucking rice. No bueno. 1 cup brown rice to 2.5 cups chicken stock + 45ish minutes = perfect rice erry time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had a wife once, it was terrible.

Oh fuck, wrong thread. Shoulda bought a wife cooker.

Khane

Bros... I just had an amazing fucking idea. I'm going to go on a tour of the greater continental US (and Canada, but only because of bisi) and I am going to live with a bro for a week and document it. FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR. And I'm gonna sell that shit to Netflix and pretend to share most of the profits with you retards. Who wants to help me get rich?!?!?!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
EDIT: Related to bumpy spoon.

Of course she does. Hell, one of them COMES with the Zoji (along with a little holder for it on the side of the unit)

Vitality

HUSTLE
Bros... I just had an amazing fucking idea. I'm going to go on a tour of the greater continental US (and Canada, but only because of bisi) and I am going to live with a bro for a week and document it. FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR. And I'm gonna sell that shit to Netflix and pretend to share most of the profits with you retards. Who wants to help me get rich?!?!?!
You're welcome in the Seattle area any time as long as you don't mind tomatoes atleast once a day for a meal.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
You're welcome here, but you'll have to turn your head and cough at least once on your visit.

Khane

Your wife seems a little too friendly dirk. I wasn't going to tell you until after I left but....

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Come down to Maryland and we can pal around for a week and eat nothing but food from chain restaurants. I can't imagine anything better than a week's worth of Applebee's, Cheese Cake Factory, Friday's, Pizza Hut, and the wonderful company of brother Khane.

*Edit* And we can hit Buffalo Wild Wings every night for beers!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Man, that chicken tikka masala is even better the second day.

I should make a dickload and freeze it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I had a rice cooker once, it was terrible.

Seriously, overcooked rubbery fucking rice. No bueno. 1 cup brown rice to 2.5 cups chicken stock + 45ish minutes = perfect rice erry time.
I think if you eat brown rice then all of your opinions on rice are invalidated.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Home made ramen from the wife.

rrr_img_88963.jpg

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Depends on the rice, but long grain/jasmine tend to come out perfect with an old cooking trick just about every time. Start with a pot, put in the desired amount of dry rice (you get like 1.5-2.5 the volume when cooked) and then add water/broth until the water stands roughly the difference between one joint of your finger and the next above the now wet rice. Bring to a boil (not a simmer) over medium heat and then kill the heat, cover the rice, and set aside. In 15 minutes you will have perfect rice. The more eclectic Asian stuff like nigri et al will differ, as you want a little lower water with them so they retain their stickiness. Note, if you are making like half a cup of rice in a 8inch pot, you are an idiot and shouldn't do this. Use the proper sized pot for the portion size! And stainless steel wouldn't matter as long as you don't let the rice dry out in it, and even then it's just a case of adding warm water for a few minutes before cleaning. If you are trying to clean dry rice off the sides of a stainless steel pot the next day, you totally deserve everything you get.

This method sort of mirrors what the Master said, but without the need to use measuring cups for everything. As the volume of dry rice increases, you are still only going to the 1-1.5 inch mark above the rice, so the amount of water volume to rice ratio starts to get closer to being even as the amount of rice increases.