Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Anybody having a superbowl party this year?

I think I'm going to do baby back ribs this year. I will probably smoke them in the Big Green Egg the night before, then reheat them in the oven on Sunday. I will also have hot wings using theAlton Brown methodand sliders. I make the sliders using potato dinner rolls. Not sure why but these are the best damn hamburgers I eat all year. I usually break out the oil and deep fry something for the SB but I think I'm going to save the mess this year.
Try this rib recipe. I'm not kidding, it's magic in your mouth (the good kind).
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...rt-ribs-recipe

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Try this rib recipe. I'm not kidding, it's magic in your mouth (the good kind).
http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...rt-ribs-recipe
The man's got a BGE. He don't need your oven rib recipes.
wink.png

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have the day off today so I treated myself to a steak dinner. I wanted to try grass fed because I hear it talked up for taste and nutrition so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have to say it was AMAZING. I dont know if it was the cut, the grass fed, the way I cooked it... but highly recommended. I used this method to cook it:

http://offthemeathook.com/2011/02/me...cy-restaurant/

Price. This was expensive, 15 bucks for a steak, and a couple of bucks more for the spinach/mozarella/tomatoes. But it was one of the best steak dinners I've eaten and at a restaurant I'd pay a lot more than that. Very worth it:

IMG_20130109_115344_zps8157922a.jpg

IMG_20130109_122401_zps0e61057a.jpg

IMG_20130109_122631_zps8dd985e0.jpg

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I have the day off today so I treated myself to a steak dinner. I wanted to try grass fed because I hear it talked up for taste and nutrition so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have to say it was AMAZING. I dont know if it was the cut, the grass fed, the way I cooked it... but highly recommended. I used this method to cook it:

http://offthemeathook.com/2011/02/me...cy-restaurant/

Price. This was expensive, 15 bucks for a steak, and a couple of bucks more for the spinach/mozarella/tomatoes. But it was one of the best steak dinners I've eaten and at a restaurant I'd pay a lot more than that. Very worth it:

IMG_20130109_115344_zps8157922a.jpg

IMG_20130109_122401_zps0e61057a.jpg

IMG_20130109_122631_zps8dd985e0.jpg
that looks good, but if you're really concerned about healthier steaks, look for grass-finished beef. if it just says grass-fed, you can assume they're fed grain before slaughter and you might as well just pay lower prices for conventional meats.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
that looks good, but if you're really concerned about healthier steaks, look for grass-finished beef. if it just says grass-fed, you can assume they're fed grain before slaughter and you might as well just pay lower prices for conventional meats.
I don't eat beef that wasn't slaughtered in front of me while I hand-fed grass into it's dying mouth. Anything less you might as well be shoving roadkill into a blender and calling it steak.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My g/f likes to eat tacos once a week, which under normal circumstances would be fine, but she likes to have them with ground chicken. Whenever I think about it, it disgusts me. How can I make her eat beef without punching her in the face or vagina?

I also got this from Santa. From The Teaching Company, correct? The lectures are 30 mins not an hour (all Teaching Company lectures are) and I have something like 15 other Teaching Company DVDs too. Everything from Nanotechnology to Modern Chinese History. Haven't started the cooking one yet but if it's anything like the others, it's top notch all the way and I expect to learn a lot.
Yup Teaching Company, and yup to only 30 min EPs. Watched one disc so far, a lot of it is basic and Alton Brown had me way past some of it, but there are many little gems hidden, if I pick up 1-2 new pieces of knowledge / tips per lesson it's worth it's weight in gold. Been practicing the done-ness finger poke technique he taught, I am almost as accurate as my Thermopen now. Pretty damn cool tip, now I know why they are always finger poking meat in the pan on Top Chef.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Do you normally eat rib eye cuts? Rib eye is far and away the best steak cut if you don't mind some fat/gristle.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The man's got a BGE. He don't need your oven rib recipes.
wink.png
Those are for beef short ribs, which is different than baby backs. I fucking love short ribs, but they aren't really football food. I do think that braising is the way to do them though. I haven't made them in a while but that recipe is pretty similar to how I do them. I missed lunch today and between looking at those short ribs and those steak pictures I'm seriously jonesing for some beef right now.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have the day off today so I treated myself to a steak dinner. I wanted to try grass fed because I hear it talked up for taste and nutrition so I thought I'd give it a shot. I have to say it was AMAZING. I dont know if it was the cut, the grass fed, the way I cooked it... but highly recommended.
I sell 5-8 grass fattened cows a year to people who buy halves or quarters and people go nuts for it. I would love to be able to sell a ribeye for $15 but it's not really practical. I do think that grass fed is different and in a good way though. I have eaten it for most of my life so I roll my eyes a little when people get back to me praising it to the heavens, but it's not that unusual when people have been eating grocery store beef all their lives.

On top of that though, that cooking method you linked is solid as Sears and you got a hell of a nice crust on it. It really is important to cook steaks at high temperature. I don't quite agree with his internal temps though, I like my steaks on the rare side of medium and I pull them at about 125-130. He's also wrong about there being no difference between cast iron and non-stick. Cast iron has a lot more metal in it so the temp will not drop as much when the meat hits the pan, meaning a better crust and if you get it up to like 500 degrees to sear a steak you're risking destroying the finish on your non-stick pan. Non-stick is for cooking eggs, everything else goes in cast iron.

Finally, rib-eye IS the best steak. Filet Minion is for rookies, if you are a real beef lover, go for the rib eye.

Anyway, I'm going to have to go defrost a steak now.

My g/f likes to eat tacos once a week, which under normal circumstances would be fine, but she likes to have them with ground chicken. Whenever I think about it, it disgusts me. How can I make her eat beef without punching her in the face or vagina?
You could try making your own hamburger out of round steak or sirloin. You can trim all the fat off before grinding it in a food processor. If you do it that way it's nearly as lean as chicken and obviously tastes a hell of a lot better. If you're going to eat ground chicken you might as well be a fucking vegetarian.

You could try making your own hamburger out of round steak or sirloin. You can trim all the fat off before grinding it in a food processor. If you do it that way it's nearly as lean as chicken and obviously tastes a hell of a lot better. If you're going to eat ground chicken you might as well be a fucking vegetarian.
Imo all taco meat filling should be of the slow cooked shredded variety. Same goes for Chilli con Carne. My 2 cents.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Try cooking both chicken and beef some time, and just get her to try a little of the beef.

If she doesn't like it, and it is well cooked, you have full license to punch her in the vagina.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Imo all taco meat filling should be of the slow cooked shredded variety. Same goes for Chilli con Carne. My 2 cents.
That is good, but I like a nice american taco bell style taco as well. Also, that takes about 15 minutes to make vs. several hours of slow cooking.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have eaten it for most of my life so I roll my eyes a little when people get back to me praising it to the heavens, but it's not that unusual when people have been eating grocery store beef all their lives.
Yeah I am usually the type to roll my eyes at the grass fed organic pastured whatever shit but then again I've had a really good steak in a restaurant and wondered what they used. I have to say this cut just looked really good, and the taste was fantastic. I will try a Costco Ribeye next with the same method and compare. And yeah Ribeye is my favorite. Even the fat on this was delicious.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yup Teaching Company, and yup to only 30 min EPs. Watched one disc so far, a lot of it is basic and Alton Brown had me way past some of it, but there are many little gems hidden, if I pick up 1-2 new pieces of knowledge / tips per lesson it's worth it's weight in gold. Been practicing the done-ness finger poke technique he taught, I am almost as accurate as my Thermopen now. Pretty damn cool tip, now I know why they are always finger poking meat in the pan on Top Chef.
I learned a nice trick over the holidays. I severely oversalted something I was cooking, shit was inedible. I was about to give up when I read that putting an uncooked potato in the dish can absorb the salt and rescue it. Maybe that was common knowledge, but I had never heard it before. And it worked, too.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
That's cool, I haven't heard of that. We have a family story we always tell on my Mom because she was making chili one time and the shaker top came off the garlic salt and dumped half the canister in there. She scooped it out and served it anyway but it was totally inedible. She later fed it to the chickens and 4 of them died because apparently they can't handle salt. To this day we give her hell about feeding us death chili.