Gravy's Cooking Thread

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Guys deep fry the turkey! The skin becomes insane and if you do it just right it's not actually as dry as traditional bird.

Edit: it's also like a science project. Last year I used a pulley system, dressed in leather jacket, safety goggles and full full skin coverage. Also I was shitfaced.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Deep fried turkey is good. My parents did theirs a few years back, so I borrowed their fryer and did mine and it was all that and then some. I brined mine over night for extra juiciness. Just make sure you dry the fucker of any moisture and lower it down slowly.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, and it has to be 100% defrosted too. Otherwise when it hits the icy center it has this strange tendency to explode.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Brine and bake is how I make turkey every year and it comes out perfect each time. Never had a desire to deep fry my turkeys.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Have you done this before? A friend tried slow-cooking a loin(may have even been a tenderloin) in the same manner you do a shoulder. It was complete shit because there's very little connective tissue to convert to gelatin in those muscles.
This I'll have to agree with. A loin is way too lean, imho, for slow cooking. And the tenderloin is very tender anyway, no need to overcook it. Pork for pulling is the shoulder. But they call it the butt. How do magnets work?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Holy shit, WTF is wrong w/ you turkey haters? do you eat moms dried up shitty shoe leather?

Go buy a deep fry setup, and 10 gallons of peanut oil, usually on super cheap sale during turkey month, or do AB's 1 day pre-brine and that shit will be awesome. The best turkey for me is the day after when we make turkey congee, that shit is great after waking up from a turkey coma (or black friday shopping, which is silly w/ all the cyber monday deals anyway).

heres the good eats turkey fry episode

here's the turkey part of the thanksgiving episode

of course it's shitty youtube if you have some other way to get the videos.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I know how to cook turkey just fine. It doesn't make it any less boring.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
White meat sucks on both turkey and chicken unless it's slathered in a delicious sauce. Turkeys are huge and there is very little dark meat to go around. Nobody slathers turkey in anything but gravy. Thus Turkey is mostly shit. I'll eat the dark meat though. But it's still not great. Chicken is superior in both categories however, so why would I ever eat Turkey unless there is some stupid tradition that dictates I must if I want animal protein?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I tend not to buy breasts anymore, because thighs are cheaper and more delicious.

Maybe I'll get a pork butt, instead. Though the thought of stuffing the tenderloin with sausage and cooking it slowly is not bad.
I tend to buy whole chicken when i can, i don't mind breaking it down. ATM shop rite carries a Halal chicken brand that is 50% cheaper and tastes better than the shitty ass perdue/tyson, so i hope we're not trying to poison terrorist food, cuz this chicken is banging!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Please don't deep fry while shitfaced.
I did this once. I didn't burn anything or anyone but at some point between getting the turkey out of the fryer (which was in the middle of the back yard) and into the kitchen I somehow misplaced it. I had to sneak into the house and secretly enlist the help of my friends to find the turkey before my wife learned that it was missing. That was the impetus for banning homebrewed double-IPA from being served at our annual Friendsgiving party...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I eat turkey one time per year, and my turkey is immaculate as fuck. And really, Thanksgiving is for me. My wife and kids have no say.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here is my story of Turkey woe

Back last Winter, but well after Thanksgiving, probably February-ish, I got a craving for basically Thanksgiving dinner again. Decided to make it one weekend.

Went to Costco to get some ingredients, and found that they had frozen turkey breasts...awesome, neither my wife nor I like dark meat much, and we didn't really need an entire huge turkey for the both of us, so that was perfect.

I get all the fixings to make mashed potatoes, dressing, all the usual stuff.

Thawed the turkey breast in the fridge for 24 hours or so, then put it into a roasting pan in the oven. It was about 5lbs, so was going to take a good 2 hours or so.

Make up the entire dinner, just shitloads of food, everything looks great.

Pull the turkey out of the oven, looks nice and browned on the outside. I cut in to that motherfucker and It was like trying to cut a rubber work boot. Bigass chefs knife just isn't getting anywhere. I think WTF, maybe I overcooked it and the outside is really dry & tough but maybe its ok in the middle. So I get my bigass knife and just plunge it point-first into the turkey, just to try to get a cut into the middle, and while it gets there, I really still can't slice it. I can't figure out what is wrong. Maybe I read the weight wrong and I cooked it way, way too long?

So I go digging through the trash to find the plastic wrapping that the turkey came in to check the weight, and I see "pre-cooked smoked turkey breast" on the label.

GOD DAMNIT

Had no edible meat of any kind, but at least the sides still made for a tasty meal :/