Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I thought maybe you had cut into the gravy packet they hide in breast packages to bump up the weight.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I thought it was going to be a big turkey tumor
tumblr_lm5u8yg1aX1qbcb48o1_500.gif

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Turkey breast I buy all the time, roast that shit and make sandwiches out of it. Better than the processed lunch meat stuff you can get. As for chickens, fuuuuck, my household goes thrrough hundreds of chickens every year. This grocery store chain around me, Kroger, sells full birds for like 88c/lb which comes out at like $5-$6 per bird. In the fall/winter we make tons of chicken soup, at least once a week. We use that ronco rotissery to make a bird once a week,kids live that shit.

I even make a braised chicken which involves breaking the bird down, but not removing the back and cutting breasts in half. Marinade the pieces for a few hours, then searing all the pieces, taking them out of the pot, then frying up celery, onion, sweet peppers, jalapenos, maybe some serrano chilis, of course lots of garlic with spices of your choice. Then when all tender, add the chicken back to the pot and adding some water, just enough but not to cover the chicken along with a few bullion cubes maybe add in a small can of diced tomato if I have one around, I even used a can of pizza sauce one time. Then I add in some polish kielbasa to this and then let all this simmer and braise for like 2 hours. Its like a fucking stew when done, serve over rice.

Chicken paprikash is another one I make all the time. Some Hungarian dish my mom used to make. Make yourself a mixture of flour, paprika, lots of paprika, salt and pepper, put this in a large ziplock. Then dredge the pieces of chicken in this shaking it all around. Then in a pot, sear of all the chicken pieces, remove. Then saute some onions, lots of onions and garlic with more paprika, lots of paprika, (use some smoked paprika if you have it too) and a few bay leaves. Then when tender add the chicken back in cover with water add a few bullion cubes and simmer for a few hours. The flour mixture over the chicken kind of breaks down and thickens the sauce over time. You can even add mushrooms to this if you like them. Serve over rice or egg noodles. Yeah it has fucking bones in it, but I like to lick those bones clean.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I'm a relatively recent convert to the thighs. So cheap and way better tasting than breasts.
Best meat for the buck in my opinion. Not as much tendon weirdness as the drumstick, and juicier than the breast. I rarely buy whole birds any more.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bone in chicken thighs are pretty much all I buy these days. I can get them for around $1/lb usually and they are better for literally anything you make. Especially Asian dishes and curries which I make a lot of.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In the fall/winter we make tons of chicken soup, at least once a week.
nice simple recipe please

Bone in chicken thighs are pretty much all I buy these days. I can get them for around $1/lb usually and they are better for literally anything you make. Especially Asian dishes and curries which I make a lot of.
just made soy sauce chicken last night with chicken thighs (those cheap ass, yummy tasting Halal chickens!), in a crock pot, simmer for 5hours, chicken feels like pulled pork goodness.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Chicken soup? I make it the old fashioned way my mom and grandma used to make. 1 full chicken split in 1/2 maybe even two if they are small. Put this in big pot of water and boil for like 45 min. sometimes I add in some beef shank or beef shortribs. Then when the 30-45 min is up, strain the shit that floats up to the top of the pot with a strainer or cheese cloth (im usually lazy and dont do this) then add in your aromatics, tons of celery, carrot, and onion, maybe some garlic? Garlic powder if Im lazy. For chicken soup I dont even use raw onion anymore, but dehydrated. Oh, and fresh curly parsley, lots of fresh parsley. I cut up an entire bunch, stems and all, and save a bit for garnish and throw the rest in. Then I just add bullion. I use Knoors chicken bullion to taste. Then just continue to simmer for like 1.5 hours uncovered so it has a chance to reduce. The sign of a good chicken soup is when you put this in the fridge, the next day, its almost like a thin gelatin when cold.

Then do noodles on the side, I never add them to the actual soup when cooking. Bonus is you can use this as a stock too if you have a lot left over. Just strain it, package it up in a container and freeze it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do you need the bullion? i'm always under the impression bullion is loaded w/ tons of sodium.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Either that or you add a ton of salt, lol. I like the bullion because it ads more chicken flavor.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Again I use the knoor bulion cubes and for a big pot I use about 4-5. But those are bigger cubes so if you use other cubes, just add them, taste, and add some more until you think it tastes right. And you can just add salt as well, but again, this just adds more flavor because its concentrated chicken broth.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
sheesh. Start with water and a whole chicken, add some carrots and onion and garlic and sage and celery (and season). Boil for many hours. Strain the broth, strip the meat. Put the meat back in the broth, add whatever you want in the soup (I like carrots, sometimes rice, sometimes orzo, sometimes noodles), heat, soup is done. Don't need no frickin bouillon at all.

Control your sodium, bitches.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
this might back up my, sous vide only 4 legged animals.
I do chicken breasts for lunch at work because they are cheap and easy and healthy. Mostly I do them in the pan, but I had sous vided(ed) them for a few weeks because I was lazy and they were frozen, it was easier. The past two weeks I went back to the pan, and the results are testably inferior. Sous vide ftw.