Gravy's Cooking Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
My understanding if you want to sous-vide turkey/chicken, the white meat parts and the dark meat parts need to cook for different times. That is why sous-viding a whole bird turns out like crap. Sounds like a_skeleton_03 has that covered by planning on deconstructing the turkey first.

I've done a couple of deep-fried turkeys now and they are pretty damn delicious. I'd say they are the best turkeys I've had. But dealing with the oil is a pain in the ass. First of all the oil is expensive, then you have to either properly store it for reuse or figure out how to dispose of the oil. I picked up an infrared-cooker and I won't go back to deep frying. Pretty much the same short cook time, still makes a high-quality, juicy, comparable bird and there is virtually no clean up. It can be a little tricky to cook the turkey w/o burning the skin but if you follow the instructions (cook w/ lid open if skin is crisping too fast) and utilize some foil the skin should be perfect. Also great for cooking whole chickens and stuff as well.

rrr_img_108290.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I bought that cooker early this year because I didn't want to start a charcoal fire for just the wife and I. I can't believe I'm saying this about a propane grill, but I love this thing.

The gas ring is around the outside of the cooking area, so there is no chance of propane flare taste. I do chicken and burgers on it all the time.

I do keep the charcoal grill handy for steaks and long smoking.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Is that thing an infrared cooker? I've never used one.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yes.Here is an Amazon linkto the one I bought.

It is actually a very versatile little cooker. Infrared roasting inside, has a top you can grill on (like burgers and dogs), and you can even supposedly do some smoking in it, although I've never tried straight up smoking things and have only used that feature when I wanted to add a little smoke flavor to something I was roasting (like a turkey). It seemed like an actual smoker would be a better option for straight-up smoking. You'd be swapping out wood chips way more often with the roaster.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
It's called The Big Easy. Like your momma.

Seriously though, am I missing the way infrared is supposed to be at work here? It looks all convection and conduction to me. But I'm ignorant.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
It's called The Big Easy. Like your momma.

Seriously though, am I missing the way infrared is supposed to be at work here? It looks all convection and conduction to me. But I'm ignorant.
It's the exact opposite of convection. It uses radiant heat to cook your food, which means less air/gas going around your food which leads to less drying out.

*edit: More infos on radiant heat:GrillJunkie Gas Grill Reviews: Char-Broil TRU Infrared

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This shit is such a farce. Weve been fed a whole bunch of lies about fat, saturated fat, red meat, etc. All the while they keep on pushing sugars and starches that turn into sugars in a millisecond in your stomach. But hey, its low fat, right? Think about it, men have eaten animals and fucking nuts and berries for 5 million years, and now were supposed to eat cereal and white bread to make us healthy in the last 100? LOL.
whenever i get someone tell me what i am eating is poison and full of glutens and neutrons or whatever. i just think that of that old henny youngman line.

Q: why do men live shorter lives than women?

A: we want to

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I do chicken breasts for lunch at work because they are cheap and easy and healthy. Mostly I do them in the pan, but I had sous vided(ed) them for a few weeks because I was lazy and they were frozen, it was easier. The past two weeks I went back to the pan, and the results are testably inferior. Sous vide ftw.
what are you cooking them with?

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
My girlfriend made Gobdol Bibimbap (without a hot plate, because we're buying a house soon - can't afford that shit!) and it was insanely good. Sesame oil makes everything better.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I really wish there was a good Asian market somewhere near me. All the "Asian" markets are really just Indian markets and their produce is haggard and disgusting.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I am thankful to have two within 10 miles of my work and home. And yeah they are nice. One of them is quite large and stocks not only dried, caned, bagged stuff, but fresh veggies and stuff. also really cheap when compared to grocery stores.

I also have a "Randazzos produce" market near me which has all sorts of fresh asian produce along with other more American produce. You can literally spend like $30 there and take home 4-5 sacks of fresh veggies and fruits.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I feel racist doing it but I just want to start walking up to random asian people and saying "Where do you buy your food?!"

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I feel racist doing it but I just want to start walking up to random asian people and saying "Where do you buy your food?!"
Thats actually not a bad idea, since most of the people I see at Randazzos are Indians and Asians.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you want a slightly better way? google a pic of a durian
durian-fruit-opened-300.png

and just ask a random asian, "where to buy" (why durian? it's rare and exotic and all asian grocers have them, usually frozen)

tho, from the way you sound, i doubt you'd even find a random asian and instead they'd all be working in restaurants, which isn't usually helpful cuz mostly they might live a town or two away.

I mean i can swear to you, my wife and i comprise 100% the asian demo in a 10block radius, i live within spitting distance of a whole foods for christ sakes, i walk around our college town (filled w/ bars and shit) and the only other asian i see is the asian lady that has owned the Sabrets hot dog stand for almost 20 years.

you gotta goto an asian restaurant w/ asian customers.

Maybe you should also look for bodegas? (spanish/latin) The farmers market store i goto seems to be Asian owned, staffed by mexicans.

or PM me your town and maybe i can find something?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Bone in chicken thighs are pretty much all I buy these days. I can get them for around $1/lb usually and they are better for literally anything you make. Especially Asian dishes and curries which I make a lot of.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There's two good Asian markets near me. I'm always the only cracker there when I go, so I know it's legit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Salt and pepper, I am a simple man.
So sous vide chicken breasts with salt and pepper, refridgerated - then eaten cold or microwaved? I've tried batch cooking chicken breast sous vide but I can't eat it plain the next day, I usually make a budget curry with coconut milk and curry paste