Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't diagnose myself as anything bro I'll fucking cut you.

But yeah, the chicken breasts actually taste pretty good. Sous vide, finish them in a pan quickly with olive oil, tons of salt and pepper. I eat it with a salad pretty much every day for lunch. Easy, healthy lunch. I don't eat it cold... Alton would probably audibly gasp if he saw, but I leave my lunch in my thermal lunchbox on my desk, it's about room temp by lunchtime. Yeah whatevs, I know. But hot chicken on a salad would be no bueno, so would cold.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I didn't diagnose myself as anything bro I'll fucking cut you.

But yeah, the chicken breasts actually taste pretty good. Sous vide, finish them in a pan quickly with olive oil, tons of salt and pepper. I eat it with a salad pretty much every day for lunch. Easy, healthy lunch. I don't eat it cold... Alton would probably audibly gasp if he saw, but I leave my lunch in my thermal lunchbox on my desk, it's about room temp by lunchtime. Yeah whatevs, I know. But hot chicken on a salad would be no bueno, so would cold.
so you sous vide the chicken every morning and then let it cool down naturally? I prep my food the day before, so no way I can leave it outside the fridge all night

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I sous vide for about 40 minutes to an hour at 140, finish in the pan with olive oil, cut the chicken breasts up, and individually pack them for each day that way I just have to throw some salad in a bowl, get some vinaigrette, and go. It's usually easier than grilling, especially if the chicken is frozen (which it usually is because I suck at planning). Tastes great too, it isn't some flavorless mush I have to endure.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just seems like too much hassle for a few chicken breasts. I mean im not against it or anything, I would probably whip that wand out to do some steaks or some shit every once in a while, maybe a rib roast, but day to day coking with that thing? meh.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I cook fish with it almost every night and it's far easier and less messy than any other method; not to mention it cooks it perfectly with almost no interaction or paying attention. It can be very practical. It's basically 10 minutes of prep on Sunday and I have 5 seasoned fillets, vacuum sealed and ready for the work week.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Like I said, in practice it's actually easier for me. I have two kids running around and another swinging off the rafters, the whole point of sous vide is that it isn't a hassle. Especially when you have to prepare a week's worth of meals.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That would not involve using the sous vide machine which means it's basically not even cooking. Might as well just wire it to the muffler of your car while you drive to work.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have an 18 pound pork butt in that will have been in for 48 hours by the time we eat it tomorrow. I'm looking forward to butt.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Buttstuff! I am doing one as well, starting it tonight for Sunday. Should be amazeballs.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So much butt.

I'm going to shred it up and make four or five different sauces for it. We're having a slider competition here, see: who can make the best. Categories include pork preparation, texture, sauce, and heat. I shall destroy the others.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cook like the wind brother. Your pork shall be our battle hymn.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
giphy.gif