Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My next pork butt is going to turn into carnitas. Big green egg style.

Any suggestions? Carnitas rubs?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So my pork butt had two sauces today. One was a fairly traditional vinegar/brown sugar sorta thang, the other was a spicy sauce made from tomatillos. I preferred the latter.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I made my avocado tomatillo salsa today and put it on fajitas. Which, yeah idk. I think it muted the heat of the fajitas too much. But it was an excuse to bust out the food processor. Also an excuse to process the shit out of some salsa. I love, love, love this local brand of salsa, chipotle salsa ftw, but they always do chunky and I am not a big chunky fan. Literally every single salsa you can buy is chunky. My favorite salsas are the mexican restaurant ones that are super fine, or Baja Fresh has a six chiles salsa that I love. So yeah, I have been taking this bad ass salsa and pureeing it to make a delicious, non-chunky masterpiece.

Tomorrow: PULLED PORK SAMMICHES

btw for fajitas I used these wrap things I found at the store called Gem Wraps. They are... interesting. Not bad by any means, just strange. Imagine a thin, savory fruit rollup made from tomatoes or something.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I did four filet mignon last night at 140 for 4 hours and flashed them in a pan afterwards because it was raining outside. Made some potatoes au gratin from scratch and some garlic butter green beans. Drank some Not Your Father's root beer.

Good birthday dinner.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
dirk, what's the recipe for the spicy tomatillo sauce?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
quick heads up, if any of you guys are planning on grilling for labor day, Home Depot has a twin pack of 18 pound bags of Kingsford charcoal (the regular kind) for $9.99. 36 pounds of charcoal for 10 bucks is a crazy good deal.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
last week spent it at a vac home w/ another couple and their kid 1yr old. For the first few days i'm wondering what're they doing, oh they're just preparing the babys lunch (cuz you know we go out to lunch together). It's just yogurt and diced up fruits/strawberrys, whatever. Literally takes them almost half an hour. Then i sit down one down, relaxing and just watch them. almost 30mins just slicing up a few strawberrys and dicing. I see their fingers shake trying to slice up the strawberrys, and then the cutting boards slides a bit left, then right!

The next day i'm begging them to just use my knives and cutting board instead(i bought my own set, cuz i didn't know what the vac home would have). I ended up just offering to do it, cuz the baby was just doing baby stuff, takes me 2mins, like any basic chore. And they cook all the time, we actually cooked 50% of the vacation cuz you know sometimes it was just a pain to go out and eat w/ the baby.

I even offered to just give them my set (it's actually pretty cool a big heavy bamboo cutting board that slides out and holds 2 santoku's, not my knifes of choice but it makes for a cool travel set). they didn't like the bamboo.

The last time i experienced this was when i stayed w/ my nephews for thx giving 1 time, and just decided to make them cut a few carrots and celery and whatevers. they just took forever!

I'm no chef by any stretch, but i know kitchen prep doesn't take me forever, for instance it would take me 2 to 5mins to make a mirepoix for 2 (celery/onion/carrot). (i'd say 5mins if i'm overly distracted), how long would it take you guys?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
teriyaki chicken achieved. very awesome. grilled kielbasa, hot dogs, and hamburgers. Happy Labor Day, everyone.
smile.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm no chef by any stretch, but i know kitchen prep doesn't take me forever, for instance it would take me 2 to 5mins to make a mirepoix for 2 (celery/onion/carrot). (i'd say 5mins if i'm overly distracted), how long would it take you guys?
Depends if I'm being watched by an overly obsessive knife guy.

30 minutes to cut strawberries sounds like technique problem, not an equipment problem. Unless they were doing a whole bushel. Slippery cutting boards is always a problem.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Depends if I'm being watched by an overly obsessive knife guy.

30 minutes to cut strawberries sounds like technique problem, not an equipment problem. Unless they were doing a whole bushel. Slippery cutting boards is always a problem.
it was a everything problem, i'm pretty sure the cutting board was one of those tiny cheese cutting boards you get as gifts, this is something they brought from home. Knife wasn't super sharp but sharp enough, actually it was a knife i gifted them, it was a furi knife w/ a built in sharpener in the sheath. He was also sitting down too, it was just all around bad. Not to mention it was a santoku, so even if you wanted to, you couldn't rock and dice. (you can kind of, but you gotta make it work)

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone do any good recipes lately? Been doing too many Meat/Veg/Carb meals lately, so I don't have much to share to be honest. Chicken Pot Pie is about as exotic as I've gotten in the past month, so it's definitely time to get freaky.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I made a variation of this recently, and it was awesome:

Chicken and Asparagus Rolls Recipe | Martha Stewart

Basically, all I did was take frozen chicken breasts, thaw them, put 1 at a time in a large gallon-sized ziplock bag, and pound the shit out of them with a rolling pin until they were about a 1/2 inch thick.

Then, take your flattened chicken slab, salt & pepper one side, flip it over and now salt & pepper, drizzle a little olive oil, put a little shredded cheese on it(I used mozzarella, but provalone or whatever you like would work) and then lay about 5-6 asparagus spears on one end of the chicken slab. Roll that shit up and place it on a baking sheet with the rolled end down(so it doesn't unroll while cooking)

I then brushed the top with some more olive oil and baked at 375 for about 25 minutes.

Came out great.

You'll find a lot of similar recipes around, some fancy it up by wrapping it all in bacon, or putting sliced ham inside as well, or rolling in breadcrumbs, or whatever. I didn't do any of that and it still came out really tasty, and somewhat healthy(other than the small amount of cheese in the middle)

Came out looking basically like this:
DSCN5002.JPG

I was a little worried that the asparagus would be mushy and soggy, cooking for 25 minutes in the oven, as when I cook it by itself on a baking sheet with olive oil I only cook it for 10-12 minutes, but the asparagus came out great, tender but still with a bit of crunch, it wasn't limp or anything.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My mom used to make chicken rollups like that with pickle slices, ham, cheese and mustard closed with a tothpick. But she wrapped them up, and dredged them in flour, egg and then breadcrumbs. Pan fried them on all sides and then into the oven to finish them off.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A hunter gave me some grouse breasts the other day so I cut them up into strips and sauteed them with some mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Then dumped in a cup of rice and a can of chicken stock and enough water to finish the rice and seasoned it with pepper and soy sauce. It was pretty good, but I think it could have used some veggies (asparagus maybe) and some Parmesan cheese.

Found one shotgun pellet but succeeded in not swallowing it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The good news is steel shot isn't required for grouse so you get a soft lead pellet instead of a rock hard steel pellet like you get in ducks/geese.

Almost early teal season. I can already taste them
tongue.png

Gravy

Bronze Squire
It's been a few years, 10?, that I saw birdshot made of compressed spices and whatnot that cook into the meat. No idea about the knock-down power, but I thought the idea was good.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone here make marijuna based edibles? I've heard that you can decarb the weed in a sous vide which activates the THC and makes it more potent. You can then make cannabutter for use in different recipes.