Gravy's Cooking Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think I'm going to buy one of these Anova Sous Vide contraptions. Small, convenient, and delicious results are what I'm all about!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Do you really though? I have a blender that I bought at walmart for $50 like 10 years ago and I put stuff in it and it gets blended. I'm not the heaviest blender user, but I can't imagine what a vitamix is doing that makes it so amazing other than some good marketing. Of course the people I know that have them like them, but they are invested because they spent 400 fucking dollars on the thing.
The vitamix is so ridiculously powerful that you can make ice cream in it from freezing milk in ice cube trays, throw all that in + your flavorings and it all comes out silky smooth. (You can also use regular chilled milk + ice cubes, but that waters down the flavor a bit imho).

There aren't a ton of blenders that can blend a whole container of solid items into a smooth liquid without getting stuck/bogging down at any point. The Vitamix has as much power as a standard lawnmower(its also about as loud as one). Its nuts.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, but if you're using it to make smoothies you still wasted your money.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Well that's like, your opinion, man. Some people want the smoothest possible smoothies you can make. If they want to pay 8x more for the experience, then that's their prerogative

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You guys should watch the show "Chef's Table." There is an episode where this dude smokes things in this way, but often outside. In snow. It's fascinating.

Francis Mallmann (TV Episode 2015) - IMDb
I attend one a year on average. They have the festival for it in the spring which is where that pic came from, but I've never been. I have to go out Thursday and kill a few hogs for this one.

It's kind of like a crawfish boil. Part food, and part socializing while you eat and entertainment.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Yeah, but if you're using it to make smoothies you still wasted your money.
I own a Vitamix and I agree. If you're not actually using all that power to do stuff, it probably isn't worth it vs a $50 blender. But I can make tempered chocolate pie fillings in mine, set custards, make shaved ice, etc., and I do at least one thing per week that requires a Vitamix. Could I do those things other ways? Yes. Would they take longer and involve more clean up? Yes. So it was worth it to me.

Also I'm set to audition for Masterchef Oct 10. Wish me luck!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nice, good luck. Make it to the halfway point and then punch Gordon in the balls. You're guaranteed a book deal and probably a talk show after that.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Diceing fucking onions is my favorite thing to do in the Vitamix. It's also sad since I have thousand dollar knives and the knife skills of a fucking newborn.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dicing onions -is- easy, but don't do the Gordon Ramsay method where you make lateral cuts into the onion half. That shit is retarded for anyone who isn't a professional, and it being in his video series is dumb. Slice the half to desired width, then just work from there. Don't do the lateral slices, as that is just asking for an injury in the vast majority of people who need diced onions.

It's actually a good practice technique to dice onions, as it leads into dicing other types of veggies without being super specific. If you can dice an onion, you can dice a bell pepper with minor modifications. And if you can do that, you can dice... everything on earth with a little bit of wrist motion.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Dicing onions -is- easy, but don't do the Gordon Ramsay method where you make lateral cuts into the onion half. That shit is retarded for anyone who isn't a professional, and it being in his video series is dumb. Slice the half to desired width, then just work from there. Don't do the lateral slices, as that is just asking for an injury in the vast majority of people who need diced onions.

It's actually a good practice technique to dice onions, as it leads into dicing other types of veggies without being super specific. If you can dice an onion, you can dice a bell pepper with minor modifications. And if you can do that, you can dice... everything on earth with a little bit of wrist motion.
Sorry, but this is just a silly post. "Oh, you have a different method for cutting one veg from another? Stupid. Cut them all exactly the same so you can practice and not hurt yourself." The method that Gordon Ramsay shows for cutting onions is superior in every way, which is why all chefs use it. With very little practice, anyone can do it and get excellent results. I'm never going to use the same technique to dice carrots and onions anyway, as they have entirely different demands due to shape and hardness as well as the desired result.

Up your game, man.

Neph_sl

shitlord
After halving it, I don't do lateral slices, but radial slices (90, 60, and 30 then 120 and 150 degrees). Makes more sense to me considering the round shape of an onion, but it probably doesn't make any difference in the overall dice.