Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
When I was a kid I used to make scrambled eggs in the microwave. And "fried bologna". Go for it, my friend!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Perfect opportunity to buy an Instant Pot. I just got mine last night but won't have a chance to cook anything for a couple days.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely thinking instant pot good investment in your situation.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
For chicken.. nothing beats a simple roasted chicken done correctly.

INGREDIENTS:
1 whole (5- to 6-pound) chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme leaves, optional

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange oven rack on bottom third.

Rinse chicken then dry very well with paper towels. The less water, the less steam. The less steam, the drier the heat and crisper the chicken!

Place chicken in a large roasting pan (with or without a wire rack underneath). Truss the bird, tying the legs together and close to the body of the chicken. (This helps the chicken cook evenly and results in a more beautiful roasted bird.)

Sprinkle all over with kosher salt (about 1 Tablespoon). Season to taste with pepper.

Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on size*. Do not baste or add butter or oil. (Keller’s theory is that this creates steam, which inhibits the crispness and tenderness of the chicken). If chicken is browning too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil.

To measure temperature, place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone. It should reach 165 degrees F.

Remove chicken from oven and baste with pan juices. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if desired. Let rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.

Enjoy!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Buy chicken quarters that are like $0.49 a pound. Season with whatever.

Oven to 350, cook for 50 minutes. Come out nice and crispy every time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I currently have no kitchen(doing a remodel). I only have a microwave and a toaster oven. This sucks.
camping burner?
uses butane nice, and quick, even comes with a case to store/carry. I had one a while back in VA, lots of power outages. Learn to cook everything in one pan, cans are cheap, especially cheap if you goto an asian grocer and buy em, instead of the camping store. Lost it when a friend borrowed it to actually take it camping.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Are those the same butane cartridges that go with the cooking torch?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I used to love the Garlic Chicken con Brocolli from olive garden but they got rid of it. I've tried a few recipes but they go very heavy on the cream and the sauce comes out weird. Instead of trying to mimic it - can anyone recommend a good creamy garlic sauce someone can make for chicken and pasta?

Also they had a very nice crust on their chicken that I haven't been able to mimic - beyond the typical breadcrumb barrage I usually do, what else can I do to liven it up?

Also made my first food item with my new cast-iron pan. It was just plain burgers (using a bobby flay recipe.. actually seasoning was bland), but they came out awesome. Had a nice crust on both sides and super incredibly juicy (I ruined a shirt).

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
the big butane (size of aersol spray?) for 1.50$ a can, not the tiny creme brule lipstick torches.

but yea the same ones if you use the big sized cooking torches like this

Iwatani torch
Yeah, that's the torch I have. Cool, I'll probably grab one of those then. I have shitloads of butane.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, that's the torch I have. Cool, I'll probably grab one of those then. I have shitloads of butane.
yea, there you go, i think 1 can lasted me a few days of cooking, i mean you know how that butane works anyway, it's great for how cheap it is.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to love the Garlic Chicken con Brocolli from olive garden but they got rid of it. I've tried a few recipes but they go very heavy on the cream and the sauce comes out weird. Instead of trying to mimic it - can anyone recommend a good creamy garlic sauce someone can make for chicken and pasta?

I like creamy pesto. Add chicken, salt, pepper, garlic in a pan and sautee. Add 3/4 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup pesto, and a good amount of parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil and cook 5-7 minutes until the sauce reduces.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There's a hotdog truck about a minute from my house that I've never gone to because I just never think of it that's also open for breakfast. This morning I decided to check it out.

It's awesome. They have all this great stuff like a Vietnamese garlic chili paste I had them put on my Sausage egg and cheese sandwich. Now I need to look up some recipes to make that paste because it was A++

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I want to do a brisket, maybe for christmas or something. Last time was so, so good.

I tried doing some brisket sous vide and then smoking to finish, same with pulled pork shoulder too. My colleague has a Big Green Egg and did the same, we brought in some for the office to judge. First time using my bbq for anything other than grilling burgers/sausages. Used too much coal on the pork and dried it out. For the brisket I ordered the point and my colleague went for a whole brisket. It came out ok but nothing close to what proper bbq brisket should look/feel like.

I kinda want to buy a remote dual probe bbq thermometer and buy one of these for my weber kettle Adrenaline Barbecue Company but things like whole briskets have to be ordered online and are pretty expensive to keep practicing with. Supermarkets here sell brisket but it doesn't resemble anything like the whole ones, I assume it's just cuts of the flat rolled and tied

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I tried doing some brisket sous vide and then smoking to finish, same with pulled pork shoulder too. My colleague has a Big Green Egg and did the same, we brought in some for the office to judge. First time using my bbq for anything other than grilling burgers/sausages. Used too much coal on the pork and dried it out. For the brisket I ordered the point and my colleague went for a whole brisket. It came out ok but nothing close to what proper bbq brisket should look/feel like.

I kinda want to buy a remote dual probe bbq thermometer and buy one of these for my weber kettle Adrenaline Barbecue Company but things like whole briskets have to be ordered online and are pretty expensive to keep practicing with. Supermarkets here sell brisket but it doesn't resemble anything like the whole ones, I assume it's just cuts of the flat rolled and tied
COSTCO!! I got whole PRIME brisket - (full point and flat) for G to do (I think he posted pics...) and then when I had his FUN-eral at an unbelievable price..fekking delicious. If you have one nearby you should check it out. You can buy Costco gift cards and use them without having a membership.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
COSTCO!! I got whole PRIME brisket - (full point and flat) for G to do (I think he posted pics...) and then when I had his FUN-eral at an unbelievable price..fekking delicious. If you have one nearby you should check it out. You can buy Costco gift cards and use them without having a membership.

Not in the UK