Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like to put lemon-pepper seasoning on salmon and cook it in butter in a hot pan, then as soon as the fish comes out, throw some more butter and a tablespoon or two of capers into the pan with a little juice from the capers to help deglaze it. Let it cook for like a minute on high heat until the butter browns and then drizzle it over the salmon. Not a fan of sugar on salmon at all.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
1 part soy sauce, 1 part maple syrup, some garlic/salt/pepper to taste. Reduce in a pot. Put it on. Grill salmon (or I guess pan sear), put on more glaze while it cools. Victory.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if you have to be careful not to freeze them solid, or if they still cook ok. I kinda want to do this but that's a lot of oil to toss out.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd just make mozz sticks and onion rings separately. Less work.

I wonder if Smed is a fan of both mozz sticks and onion rings?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'd just make mozz sticks and onion rings separately. Less work.

I wonder if Smed is a fan of both mozz sticks and onion rings?
What kind of weirdo isn't a fan of both of those, though?!

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Anyone got a good sauce/glaze recipe for salmon?
This sounds really simple but its surprisingly awesome.

Buy the wholest whole-grain mustard you can find (something that looks like completely intact mustard seeds). Salt and pepper the salmon, then spread the mustard on ~2-3 mm thick for a crust. Broil to medium-medium rare.

While its broiling, throw some pesto (homemade or commercial, whatever) in a sauce pan with a splash of chicken broth and a splash of lemon juice. Cook on low heat stirring constantly til it starts to bubble, then remove from heat.

Drizzle the pesto sauce over the salmon and serve.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
hqdefault.jpg

made beef and tomato last night, wasn't as flavorful cuz i couldn't marinate it in dark soy sauce, ran out, guess i'll be making a asian grocery run soon.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'd say it's as easy as making chili.

This man is my hero:

I can't praise the man enough. Real talk, find a Chef John Food Wishes recipe that looks good and make it.

I finally got around to making this. Solid recipe. I made tandoori chicken to go with it so I modified it slightly. Couple things I would change next time. Next time I'm going to try heavy cream instead of coconut milk as well to see what the difference is. Probably better.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, likely very little difference. It's very hard for something like coconut to standout in a dish that laden with spices, aromatics, and tomatoes. I use the same recipe and I honestly can't taste the coconut milk.

The modifications I've made are using naan bread instead of rice(just not a fan of most rice) and omitted the chicken stock because I didn't feel like it added any flavor(in this dish) and there was no more rice to soak up the sauce. Ended up with chicken tikka stew, really liked the changes.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Instead of making stock I just drop a tsp of chicken stock bouillon cube into the pot.

It adds what some might call ... complexity ... to the dish.

Which I interpret as "you prolly won't notice either way"

NET NEUTRAL!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Its cock sauce, you hethen.
My asian privilege is that asians refer to it as rooster sauce, you can take your whitey man terms to the vegan thread.
Instead of making stock I just drop a tsp of chicken stock bouillon cube into the pot.

It adds what some might call ... complexity ... to the dish.

Which I interpret as "you prolly won't notice either way"

NET NEUTRAL!
Don't you find bouillon cubes a tad bit salty?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Found some Korean house wife's blog the other day. I don't know how many of you other than Janx are fans of kimchi. But damn do I love that shit. I'm also a big fan of sour type stews like this or adobo.

Incredibly easy to make if you have an Asian grocery near you. Preferably a Korean one though since Chinese stores generally don't carry the variety of kimchi needed to make this the best way possible. Any would do technically, but the one referred to in here is optimal and the taste difference would be noticeable.

Slow Cooker Kimchi Stew (Kimchi Jigae)

I added super firm tofu to it because I enjoy the texture. Totally not needed though.

Been following Adebisi's recommendation and making tons of shit off of Food Wishes. I have yet to be disappointed. Stuffed Acorn squash. Tasty stuff!

This one was also killer.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I should also add that I have an 11 lbs pork shoulder sitting in the fridge for smoking tomorrow.

Bless you, BGE.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Found some Korean house wife's blog the other day. I don't know how many of you other than Janx are fan's of kimchi. But damn do I love that shit. I'm also a big fan of sour type stews like this or adobo.

I never liked the crap that you can find in every grocery store in America. I've eaten at what I took to be legit Korean places stateside where their kimchi was the polar opposite and actually pretty good. I also was a fan of this weird tiny dried fish that people ate like crackers (was covered in a heavy, mostly dried marinade though).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Found some Korean house wife's blog the other day. I don't know how many of you other than Janx are fan's of kimchi. But damn do I love that shit. I'm also a big fan of sour type stews like this or adobo.

Incredibly easy to make if you have an Asian grocery near you. Preferably a Korean one though since Chinese stores generally don't carry the variety of kimchi needed to find the right kind. Any would do techincally, but the one referred to in here is optimal and the taste difference would be noticeable.

Slow Cooker Kimchi Stew (Kimchi Jigae)

I added super firm tofu to it because I enjoy the added texture. Totally not needed though.

Been following Adebisi's recommendation and making tons of shit off of Food Wishes. I have yet to be disappointed. Stuffed Acorn squash. Tasty stuff!

This one was also killer.
bout the two dishes i use Kimchi for (besides just regular banchan) is adding it to soondu bu or kimchi fried rice.

If anyone hasn't tried kimchi, whole foods has a brand called "Mother in Laws" kimchi, it's legit... if not for the regular rip off pricing. (the kimchi is 3x the price of what you'd get at an asian grocer)

But of course just goto any real korean restaurant and you'll get kimchi in banchan form (little dishes/tapas like)