Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The entire low fat thing needs to die. I cant believe this myth is still being touted as fact. The last ten years has slews of studies that its not fat making you unhealthy with shitty cholesterol #s, its the fucking shit carbs and sugars we consume.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I just like the ease of clean-up versus a deep frier. Blow it out with a leaf blower and eat the crumbs and it's ready for storage.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
While I agree that the idea that low fat is healthy is outdated, it's really more about added fat quickly adds a ton of unnecessary calories. If you can get a crispy french fry without an additional 40% of calories from oil, I'm all about that. Not having a shitload of oil to dispose of and your house not smelling like an old black lady's fried chicken emporium are also added bonuses.

• 1Worf

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If you're going to eat a plate of potatoes dipped in red sugar then you might as well do it right.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
If you're going to eat a plate of potatoes dipped in red sugar then you might as well do it right.
I also fucking hate ketchup, so maybe I'm not the best person to discuss what makes a fry good.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Sous vide ribs were pretty damn good. They were a big hit with everyone who ate them. 4 full wracks is a lot, though, when you need to keep all the pouches from overlapping the water-bath. I think the dry ribs were better than the wet. Will definitely do them again.

Can you post your recipe for the dry ribs?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
You sound like a prime candidate for poutine therapy
Someone just told me about a place that supposedly has good poutine in south FL. I need to try it. I only had it once, in Niagara. It was ok, but I imagine there is much better in less touristy locales.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The entire low fat thing needs to die. I cant believe this myth is still being touted as fact. The last ten years has slews of studies that its not fat making you unhealthy with shitty cholesterol #s, its the fucking shit carbs and sugars we consume.
I think it's more the problem is that people eat carbs instead of fat AND don't count calories. Carbs are much less filling than fat.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Someone just told me about a place that supposedly has good poutine in south FL. I need to try it. I only had it once, in Niagara. It was ok, but I imagine there is much better in less touristy locales.
Some people get too worked up about trying poutine the fist time.

It's just fries, cheese, and gravy, dawg. Everyone's eaten those things separately.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pressure cooker BBQ ribs were awesome. Good way to cheat out ribs in 45 minutes with 20 minutes in the cooker and 15 in the over at 450 with bbq sauce.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Pressure cooker BBQ ribs were awesome. Good way to cheat out ribs in 45 minutes with 20 minutes in the cooker and 15 in the over at 450 with bbq sauce.

I was eying a pressure cooker for quite some time, never bought one though. Good purchase? What else do you make in it?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was eying a pressure cooker for quite some time, never bought one though. Good purchase? What else do you make in it?

I got it on prime day because it was 40% off. This was it's maiden voyage.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
man how do you ppl cook rice w/o a rice cooker? ha. Since i'm in temp housing i'm just using a regular pot to cook my rice, i haven't used this way for like 30 years, get that layer of rice stuck on the bottom.

Still tastes the same, ironically i knew Walmart would have asian stuff. I mean i could also just buy a rice cooker, but eh we're un-asianing ourselves and getting off rice (have been for a while), i just needed rice to make congee cuz we both came down w/ like travel flu or something. White ppl make chicken noodle soup when they're sick, asians make congee, diet be damned.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like my kitchen toys as much as anyone, and if I had more space, I might have a rice cooker. But I don't, and I don't really miss it. Rice is just too simple; you almost have to work at it to fuck it up.

white rice: measure rice and water into pot. turn on high till the start of a high boil, then cover and turn the burner off. Come back in 30-40 minutes.

Brown rice. Same idea but turn burner to very low and let it go for an hour.

Brown rice method 2 (my preference). Measure water, put into the electric kettle. Measure rice into thick bottom pot. Turn burner to high, and stir or toss the dry rice until you get as much browning as you want. Turn burner to low, by now your kettle should have boiled or be damn close. pour just enough water into rice to cover, it will boil VIGOROUSLY for a min or two. Once it calms down enough that you won't get rice all over the kitchen and end up in the emergency room; put the rest of the water in, cover, and come back in an hour.