Gravy's Cooking Thread

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I know y'all will frown upon this, but I found a vegan pulled pork recipe that is legit af. Seriously. Have an open mind. Give it a shot.

http://lifehacker.com/the-secret-to-vegetarian-pulled-pork-1795723398

I barely made any adjustments. Didn't have liquid smoke so used smoked paprika instead and doubled the amount of cayenne because I like heat.

What is the texture like? I'm looking to make this for a few vegetarians at a upcoming family reunion and wondering if it would work for a vegetarian Al Pastor or Carnitas.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You miss some of the chewiness of pork. It's a bit softer. Other than that it's respectable. I haven't tried any Mexican recipes yet but I will absolutely try them out. I've seen plenty of carnitas-style recipes out there.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
PROTIP: To get it a bit chewier, add some pork.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I as starving after a concert last night and the only things open in the area were taquerias. Got an al pastor burrito. Only a mild amount of regret.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

kudos

<Banned>
What are the health effects on eating a good amount of tofu as a male? I've heard soy can make you become a bitch if you eat too much but I've really come to enjoy tofu lately. Looking at a lot of Asians I can't say the argument doesn't have any legs to stand on.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What are the health effects on eating a good amount of tofu as a male? I've heard soy can make you become a bitch if you eat too much but I've really come to enjoy tofu lately. Looking at a lot of Asians I can't say the argument doesn't have any legs to stand on.
I'm so asian my ching chong name scares white ppl, I tell em to call me Charlie. Even then I don't eat tofu but once a month, cuz I'm American and I eat meat, don't need the paupers food.

And again, the secret to good tofu is to dredge it in cornstarch, then fry it and dip it in "Lee kum kee" oyster sauce.

Of course if you really want it crispy, squeeze out the water by placing a towel under the block and a pan on top.

The secret to tofu is that, tofu sucks and had no flavor, but is like a sponge, so treat it like such.

If you want to up your saucy tofu game use a food saver container and drop a few tsp in, turn on and the sauce should spread throughout the tofu, freeze for 15 min with the tofu still vac,d then cornstarch and fry.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Make sure to get firm tofu if you're going to fry it. Cut in rectangles and fried in grapeseed oil, dip in whatever sauce you like.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Soy has a lot of estrogen in it. I see this all the time because dumb people think that giving hormones to beef cows is going to make them grow tits or something. I don't know if the amount in soy can actually affect you though. I don't think eating food with hormones in it is the same as actually having it produced in your body at all.

hormones_in_cattle-01-FINAL.jpg

kudos

<Banned>
Soy has a lot of estrogen in it. I see this all the time because dumb people think that giving hormones to beef cows is going to make them grow tits or something. I don't know if the amount in soy can actually affect you though. I don't think eating food with hormones in it is the same as actually having it produced in your body at all.

View attachment 150908
Jesus that's scary when you compare it to your body and it's natural production.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I am actually loving the pressure cooker I bought for its ability to save time. I used to love slow cooker for this purpose but pressure cooker is just as good if not better.

Cheat out pork ribs in 45 minutes. Pulled pork in ~75 minutes. Shredded chicken breast in 25 minutes. Starting to make all sorts of shit in it lately.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just made a delicious "marinated" pico de gallo with the vacuum sealer in an hour. I love that thing.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just harvested my first bunch of jalapenos from our plant. I sliced and pickeled them for tacos/sandwiches. Before doing that, though, I ate a raw slice and these things are way fucking hotter than the ones I usually get at the grocery store. I had some slight regret for a moment.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just harvested my first bunch of jalapenos from our plant. I sliced and pickeled them for tacos/sandwiches. Before doing that, though, I ate a raw slice and these things are way fucking hotter than the ones I usually get at the grocery store. I had some slight regret for a moment.

Yeah I grew them a few years ago and same result, hot as fuck compared to store, way fucking bigger on average too. They were almost to scotch bonnet heat levels, almost.