Gravy's Cooking Thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
man how do you ppl cook rice w/o a rice cooker? ha. Since i'm in temp housing i'm just using a regular pot to cook my rice, i haven't used this way for like 30 years, get that layer of rice stuck on the bottom.

Still tastes the same, ironically i knew Walmart would have asian stuff. I mean i could also just buy a rice cooker, but eh we're un-asianing ourselves and getting off rice (have been for a while), i just needed rice to make congee cuz we both came down w/ like travel flu or something. White ppl make chicken noodle soup when they're sick, asians make congee, diet be damned.

You put rice in pot, cover with water boil then low simmer for 20 min. Perfect every time.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You put rice in pot, cover with water boil then low simmer for 20 min. Perfect every time.
does anyone put more water after, and try to cook out the stuck on rice to eat? some ppl love this crispy rice. i mean i've done crispy rice in a stone bowl, but steel pot just tastes crunchy.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a rice cooker and I use it for both rice and quinoa. I use it all the time.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's my understanding from watching vid's on paella making, that the crispy rice isn't ever rehydrated again, just scraped up (or it comes up on it's on if things are sufficiently non-stick/buttered/etc.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Before I got my zojurushi I only made rice in a non stick electric skillet so I could get a consistent temperature without scorching the rice. I also make sure I rinse and squeeze my rice to get rid of the extra starch.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We use this for rice and it's awesome. My Filipino father in law bought if or us, because apparently Flips need rice literally 16 times per day and he was very disappointed when he'd come over and there wasn't rice ready. It makes perfect rice in like 8 minutes and you don't have to pay any attention. I definitely make a shitload more rice now. It's pretty awesome, though I feel the instant pot is probably better.

2 Quart Digital Pressure Cooker - Turbo Rice™

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love my $15 Walmart rice cooker. Put rice and water in, push the button, come back 20 minutes later or 45 minutes later and it's good to go. I've had it like 12 years and it's good as new but I'm not a huge rice eater.

I have an instant pot also and it works fine but I haven't really used it a lot. If you're looking at one be aware that the times people say are kind of bullshit. They say "make XX in 12 minutes!!!! OMG!" But what it really means is 12 minutes at pressure but also 10 minutes to come to pressure and 5-20 to come down if the recipe calls for "natural release". Some things come out better than others. My favorite thing I have made in it is risotto, but it wasn't much faster overall than doing it the old fashioned way but it did take less stirring. I'm not trying to shit on it, but I haven't found it to be the kitchen miracle that people make it out to be.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Before I got my zojurushi I only made rice in a non stick electric skillet so I could get a consistent temperature without scorching the rice. I also make sure I rinse and squeeze my rice to get rid of the extra starch.

stuck on rice, burned rice, those are all traceable to either too much heat, or to long on the heat. the boil and coast method for white rice completely negates this issue, and the rice is still plenty hot enough at the end.

I've never bothered to rinse my rice, but I also tend to just buy bog standard medium to long grain brown rice and I don't need it to be completely sticky-free.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've had the same small rice cooker I got for under $20 seven years ago. Like others I use it for quinoa and rice all the time. That being said, about 10 years ago in CA I got acquainted with high quality rice. Like this stuff. Once I started eating it I seriously have a hard time eating shittier rice. Don't buy on Amazon though these bags are half price in any asian market I've ever been to. I guess having the instant pot and the rice cooker is kind of redundant now, in my case. But whatever. I have most appliances for my kitchen now outside of baking shit. Cuz fuck baking.

Amazon.com : Nozomi Super Premium Short Grain Rice, 15-Pound : Dried Basmati Rice : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I make minute rice

no fucks given
31551d170d7b58cc610db82b5e905bda--university-meme-university-challenge.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Oh actual pulled pork is definitely better. But this is surprisingly good. Also considerably less work.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Considerably less work than seasoning and throwing a pork shoulder into a slow cooker for 8 hours? Doubtful.

I will honestly never understand the infatuation with trying to make vegan versions of meat dishes. It's always fairly disgusting and nothing like the real thing. Just do what the various, mostly vegetarian Asian countries do and eat veggies with delicious sauces/marinades/broths.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Considerably less work than seasoning and throwing a pork shoulder into a slow cooker for 8 hours? Doubtful.

Highlighted a key part. This barely takes two hours start to finish. I can make this on a weeknight after work. Also, pulling a four pound pork shoulder can take some serious time. You can straight up mash this with a potato masher and it'll due the trick.

And typically I do stick with things that don't try to imitate meat. Most meat substitutes are horrible, but this is pretty damn good. It's really just BBQ fruit.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The sad part about vegetarian dishes is that the best thing they could ever hope to achieve is "it almost tastes like the real meat version!"

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The sad part about vegetarian dishes is that the best thing they could ever hope to achieve is "it almost tastes like the real meat version!"
If you mean a direct substitution for a specific meat, yeah. There are a couple ingredient swaps where a vegetable has been better than a meat counterpart (poutine burrito made with a mushroom based gravy was way better than the beef gravy version).