Gravy's Cooking Thread

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I grew Serrano chiles and Hot Portugal chiles this year...I bought the plants from a local farm and home store on a whim. They are a nice bit of warmth and flavor.
I am going to be making salsa with them but also have done a quick pickle on the Portugal to use on sandwiches.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
once i move in and get settled, i think i'll take on making pho. Good pho place is like 1hr+ away, i'll probably be wasting a few batches.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The only time I attempted pho I put too much Star anise in the broth and fucked it up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
also i'm going to upgrade to a 12qt stockpot, currently i have an old 8qt fagor pressure cooker i do my soups in and now in this temp housing i'm using cooks standard 8qt and really like it, i think i'll get their Cooks Standard Classic 02520 12 quart Stainless Steel Stockpot with Lid

the 12qt comes w/ an all steel lid, so it's more oven safe to 500 vs. the glass lid of 350, honestly i have no idea why i'd put it in the oven in the first place, not to mention at 500f.

if anyone has any rec's that's cool, i want a big pot so i doubt an enameled cast iron like le creusant is even in the running, and i make a bit of tomato based soups so i'll stay away from just cast iron.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I like big soup/stock pots to have a thick bottom. This leads to better saute if needed and keeps shit from burning on bottom when simmering thicker stuff like chili or spaghetti sauce. Mine has what seems to be a 1/4 in steel bottom that is probably welded to the bottom of the stainless steel pot. It makes a difference. But if youre doing nothing but stocks in it then it does not make difference.

Edit: seems to me the one you linked has just that...
*Made with stainless steel with an aluminum disc layered in the bottom

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
One of my friends is telling me rock sugar makes a difference in pho.
chinese-rock-sugar-yellow-lump-sugar-2395-p.jpg

I have a few bags in my shipping boxes so i should be good for now, tho i do not believe i saw any at the korean grocer where i'm at. (the dominant asian is korean out here in ks it seems and w/ that korean centric which is 95% ok for me, except i don't have access to chinese ramen)

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is going on the smoker tomorrow evening for a birthday/fight party for saturday

IMG_20170824_180209.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Damn, that looks good.

What happened to this thread! More updates you culinary yeniuses!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Also, collagen doesn't start to melt until 160, so I don't know what you're getting from all those hours at 155?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I can't answer either of those questions, but I did sous vide ribs at 145(per recipe below) and they were awesome. They definitely have a meatier bite than traditional, but I really like it. Still came off the bone easily. I would highly recommend if you have an immersion cooker. Delicious ribs without having to stand next to a hot grill/smoker in hot-ass Florida is nice.

Sous Vide Barbecue Pork Ribs Recipe

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Before I went camping, I went on a food spree at Costco. I purchased the Kiolbassa peppered bacon, roasted garlic sausages and jalapeno beef sausages. Um - will buy again (and this coming from a girl who has eaten a lot of bacon and sausage in her life). I am checking out their website right now and came across this super simple not fancy at fucking all recipe. I am going to make with the jalapeno beef and serve at an upcoming homecoming thing I am helping to organize. I used to care if people would think stuff was too hot; now I don't give a fuck. Their asses can burn the same as mine - actually am thinking about upping the heat and using some of the cabot habanero cheddar... :)
SAUSAGE BALLS
cheese-balls.jpg

Print

A delicious and fun appetizer or holiday potluck idea!

Ingredients

• 1 pkg Kiolbassa Beef or Roasted Garlic Sausage, diced small
  • 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
  • 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375°
  2. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir well.
  3. Form 1” balls by rolling mix together.
  4. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 18-20 min or until golden brown.
  5. Remove from oven and cool for 5 min before serving.
  6. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Hotter the better. Just put up warning signs so your neighbors don't sue you.
Right! Good call.
I like heat - I don't want it so stupid that it detracts from flavor - I want balance but damn, I like the chile rush.
When G and I lived in Nevada MO (small town) so many of our acquaintances thought fucking Taco Bell mild was too hot. Um...what? Yeah - over here it is much more diverse and plenty of my friends are like minded or at least open to try new things. That being said - I will put up a disclosure sign (unless I see someone I don't like headed to the food line, then I am taking it down and sprinkling some jolokia powder on top...MWAHAHAHAHA).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Right! Good call.
I like heat - I don't want it so stupid that it detracts from flavor - I want balance but damn, I like the chile rush.
When G and I lived in Nevada MO (small town) so many of our acquaintances thought fucking Taco Bell mild was too hot. Um...what? Yeah - over here it is much more diverse and plenty of my friends are like minded or at least open to try new things. That being said - I will put up a disclosure sign (unless I see someone I don't like headed to the food line, then I am taking it down and sprinkling some jolokia powder on top...MWAHAHAHAHA).

You guys lived in Nevada MO? Who would do such a thing!?