Gravy's Cooking Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yes, 95.00 I was too excited and made a quick post.
lol. Well I went for it too, picked up an 18 qt container and lid. Won't be here in time to make anything for Thanksgiving, but will definitely practice for Christmas.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
lol. Well I went for it too, picked up an 18 qt container and lid. Won't be here in time to make anything for Thanksgiving, but will definitely practice for Christmas.

Yeah, that really chapped my hide. Anova will be here today but the rest won't be here til after Thanksgiving, I was totally going to make like 12 briskets.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, that really chapped my hide. Anova will be here today but the rest won't be here til after Thanksgiving, I was totally going to make like 12 briskets.
You can use the anova with anything... stockpot, etc. Cook it on up buddy!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hell, break out the
8db4e6a6-3821-41c1-80f4-302714c50813_1.b0eac398d304007f987061f93ab86b6c.jpeg

though you may need to jigger something up for a mount to keep everything stable over hours.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm traveling for tksgiving again, so post prep and after pics.

Going to chitown to see my totally legal godson, they make amazing pies, I'm gonna eat like one strip of turkey and devour the pies

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I let it age for a full month last year and sampled week to week. As it ages it gets more mellow and thicker. No cooking involved but the alcohol content ensures that there is no bacterial growth to induce spoilage.If you can handle your booze with little to no mixers then this is the nog for you.

I would totally make some this year for next year but I unfortunately do not have the fridge space for it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm going to Sous Vide myself a Turkey for thanksgiving. I had to go with the Li'l Butterballs (in the 7-9 lb range) in order to fit the turkey into a very large ziplock bag, but I have a 5 gallon water pot. I should have no problem cooking 2 turkeys this way. I'm going to do a test turkey for Friday and give most of it away to my neighbor. That way I can see if I like setting it at 135 degrees (softer but more moist meat) or going up to 145 (a little firmer and a little less moist). Time will tell. I'm pretty happy about trying this.

The Food Lab Sous Vide Turkey Guide
We ended up celebrating a little early. Last Friday, to be specific. The turkey was awesome. I cooked at at 135 degrees, but it stayed in the bath for almost 2 full days. I know this is REALLY overkill, but it didn't bother me. And holy shit did it taste great. The turkey was covered in a crushed garlic paste, salt, pepper, thyme & paprika. It was so good.

Here's a quick picture of the container. I have a 5 gallon stainless pot. There are 3 things in it. an 8 1/2 lb turkey in a 2 gallon bag, then two different 3 lb "turkey bakes" that had both white and dark meat. They were each in 1 gallon bags. The texture and flavor of the turkey was excellent. Absolutely no problems there. Sous Vide is the best. Not in the picture is the plastic wrap I had to cover the pot with. After 2 days of cooking at 135 degrees, I ended up losing only around 1/2 an inch of water due to evaporation. The wrap kept in everything else.

OleYksr.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The texture was fine even at 135 degrees? I've done chicken at 145 for 4 hours in a sous vide bath and it was fully cooked but the texture was really... really off putting.

I gotta be honest with ya. A lot of the kenji sous vide experiments that he claims are "perfect" or "great" I find kind of disgusting. Like said chicken. Or his perfect sous vide eggs. Those eggs are viscous and gross. They even look gross in his pictures.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I would never ever sous vide a turkey, Always brine for 24 hours and cook at super high temp for like 3.5 hours. Perfect every time.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Buy a small thing of raw turkey meat from the store and try it. I promise that you will NOT be disappointed. It was the best turkey I've ever had, and my Grand Mother used to make a damn good turkey. Years ago, and I still remember it. But this was better by far.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
For the first time in a while, I have two places to go for this holiday. I was asked to make broccol-cauliflower salad for the first one, I just went ahead and made enough for both places. I am in process of baking a chocolate meringue pie, I already baked a pumpkin gooey butter cake and made caramel cinnamon pecans to garnish it, along with whipped cream, plus, lest I forget the four legged guests, I baked pumpkin peanut butter doggie treats. They are (my dog) Nubbins approved as they also are glazed with bacon grease and peanut butter.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users