Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Are you ever afraid that you will find something better than you ever had with Gravy? I mean, you should get as best as you can, but if it's better, my own feeling is that it will tarnish the past memory a little in some way.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
We're having thanksgiving come Sunday, I will be smoking a turkey with applewood @ 325. Will be delicious.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Deep fried the turkey for the second year in a row. Aside from paying $60 for 5 gallons of oil, that is the only way to cook a turkey.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Are you ever afraid that you will find something better than you ever had with Gravy? I mean, you should get as best as you can, but if it's better, my own feeling is that it will tarnish the past memory a little in some way.
No, I am not afraid of anything.
I don't have time to be fearful. I need to live. Additionally, that isn't how it works, at least not for me. Damn near 28 years with him makes my memories tarnish proof.
Also, tbh, I spent the entire morning sobbing, so there's that.

• 2Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
No, I am not afraid of anything.
I don't have time to be fearful. I need to live. Additionally, that isn't how it works, at least not for me. Damn near 28 years with him makes my memories tarnish proof.
Also, tbh, I spent the entire morning sobbing, so there's that.

Jebus. I'd sure like to give you a hug. A very close friend of mine just lost her husband of about as many years in a completely unexpected heart attack. It's just awful, and holidays bring back all the reminders. All my best thoughts to you today.

Unrelated to that, but related to the thread...

Last night a friend of mine served a brisket. Cooked for 12 hours in his green egg and finished in the oven until it hit 180. Then it rested for an hour. It was so good it is hard to believe. I made a salad of roasted squash with quinoi and kale with toasted pecans and crumbled feta. I also made a cranberry pudding which was amazing.

Tomorrow I have 12 people coming for dinner. I have 15 pounds of prime rib (meat department manager gave it to me 75% off because he has so much left over, so $2 a pound for prime rib!!!1!11), and 5 pounds of salmon. Fish will be smoked, Prime rib will be slowly cooked until awesome. Will also make honey roasted carrots and spicy sausage stuffing. Bread pudding for dessert.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What kind of container do you use to brine an entire turkey?
5 gallon bucket from home depot.

I fried it agaiin though. Indoor fryer is the boss. Only problem is the size limitation, at 22 lbs I was on the razor's edge.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Thanksgiving was awesome, went to my cousin's fiance's families and they are italtian. We had a ton of red wine and amazing food, it was a really good time.

I'm using my anova for the first time, doing a steak. I'm really excited to try it out here shortly.

• 1Like

rush02112

Will dry brine tomorrow around mid-day. I have smoked quite a few chickens this year and I figure doing a turkey can't be that much different. The only thing I will be doing different is putting a water pan underneath for the drippings to make the gravy afterwards.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What kind of container do you use to brine an entire turkey?

You can brine it in the same pot you fry it in, but I use a 5 gallon bucket the same as Chaos.

If you're going to get a pot to fry in, spend a few extra bucks and get an 8 gallon pot so you can put 5-6 gallons of oil in there and still have lots of head room so you don't have to worry about it running over when you put the bird in there.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5 gallon bucket from home depot.

I fried it agaiin though. Indoor fryer is the boss. Only problem is the size limitation, at 22 lbs I was on the razor's edge.

We made the switch last year from the outdoor fryer to the Butterball branded indoor fryer, and that thing is awesome. Less oil, better temp control, and less mess. Size does limit it a little, but I've fried a 24lb turkey before (in the outdoor fryer), and found out you are better off doing 2 12-13 pounders back to back than 1 giant all at once. At 24lb, it's just in for too long and the drumsticks turn to jerky.

We kept the oil in ours from Thursday, and last night used the fryer again to make fresh cut fries, and they were awesome. Peanut oil and the spices from the turkey added a little extra something. Better than Five Guys or fair fries.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Alright guys, getting the hang of this kamado Joe.

Here's a few recent cooks below. Spatchcock style chicken and some chicken quarters. Haven't got to cook much with holiday travel. More Mac n cheese for kids as well

Currently brining a 8 lb brisket for the next 2-3 weeks to cook into pastrami. Cannot wait.

Greetings from my family to yours as well.
Cooking asparagus and steaks at this moment, reverse seared, waiting for temp to get 600ish to finish them off!!

IMG_20171125_190808.jpg

IMG_20171124_192824.jpg

IMG_20171124_195457.jpg

FB_IMG_1511127863775.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
First sous vide steak came out a little more medium than medium rare.

Second steak I dropped the temp 3 degrees and it came out perfect to my tastes.

This thing is so hassle free and easy to use it may be the best culinary purchase I've ever made. I really need to get a torch then I can reduce dishes even more.

Next up is pork chops, I'm letting them marinate u til tomorrow evening.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Alright guys, getting the hang of this kamado Joe.

Here's a few recent cooks below. Spatchcock style chicken and some chicken quarters. Haven't got to cook much with holiday travel. More Mac n cheese for kids as well

Currently brining a 8 lb brisket for the next 2-3 weeks to cook into pastrami. Cannot wait.

Greetings from my family to yours as well.
Cooking asparagus and steaks at this moment, reverse seared, waiting for temp to get 600ish to finish them off!!

View attachment 156874

View attachment 156875

View attachment 156876

View attachment 156877

As good looking as that chicken is, your family is likely better looking.

Cheers!

• 1Like

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Part of me is (or wants to be) interested in the tech they are using; but most of the time, I'm just screaming at the screen for them to quit Faffing about.

Those sou vide eggs though, add the rest of the custard ingredients and ooh la la.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i can get baby back ribs for 3.50/lb vac sealed. Figured i can get 30bucks worth and just dump it into the sous vide for half a day. Then i'll just cheat by charring it w/ the butate torche and mixing up some chinese char siu sauce. this will be for about 20 ppl.

the ease of use is that it's already vac sealed, so it should be super easy.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Will dry brine tomorrow around mid-day. I have smoked quite a few chickens this year and I figure doing a turkey can't be that much different. The only thing I will be doing different is putting a water pan underneath for the drippings to make the gravy afterwards.
What's the difference between a dry brine and a cure?

rush02112

Not sure but after a quick google search it seems the answer is time. I am doing the dry brine for about 12 hours where as the dry cure is 24-36 hours if not more.

Once again I forget to get a pic of right off the cooker so I will just give a general update. The gravy made from the water pan with drippings was fantastic. I was not a fan of how the turkey came out. I think it was a combination of the rub I used and not injecting the bird, there just was not any wow factor to it for myself although it was cooked just right and juicy.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's because turkey is really just a boring meat. Almost all other meats are superior. But tradition demands you have it on Thanksgiving. I've hosted TG twice and both times I made heaping stacks of medium rare steaks and they were always a huge success. Turkey is so much effort for an inferior product. A slab of beef that spent six minutes on the grill is unanimously better.

• 2Solidarity