Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My wife is Italian so we serve antipasto prior to typical Thanksgiving fare. I look forward to the antipasto much more than stuffing and turkey. Mashed perderders will always be awesome though.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I want to make some Cincinnati chili, I've never actually had it so am wanting to make some. Should I just go run of the mill Skyline copy cat or is there something better I should be looking at?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I mean Deathwing probably isn't wrong, but I obviously love me some Cincinnati chili.

A lot of the online recipes I've found are pretty legit. You just boil water in a big ass pot, throw in spices, tomato sauce/paste, and maybe some broth. Add ground beef and simmer until it reduces to your desired thickness.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Like I said, I've never had it and caught an episode of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives where they showed it from some spot I forget the name of. Want to see what its like.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I was ever so grateful for 2 Thanksgiving meals. I just ate a small amount of food at the first one (roast turkey (meh), spinach salad and a little bit of my dad's dressing [un stuffed stuffing:) ]. At New's, I had smoked turkey, home made macaroni and cheese, garlic smashed potatoes and my broccoli cauliflower salad. All at New's were the yum. Oh and later the pumpkin gooey butter cake I made...yeah I will make that again...but I will vary it.
My sis sent home with me turkey, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. The turkey was ok, but the sides were awful...terrible...yucky. I don't know who made them but I actually threw away the entire containers. HTF do you mess up mashed potatoes and green bean casserole?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Quite easy to fuck both of those up. Overcooking and/or overmashing the potatoes can ruin them. And anything involving heat and green vegetables is very sensitive to failure. They(green vegetables) go from just right to mush in very little time. Most people don't think to pull the casserole out while the beans are still a bit crispy. Gotta treat it like a roast. My guess, though, is that they used canned green beans, which is a non-starter.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I am not a fan of anything casserole related. Whenever I've had it just seems like mush and have had zero desire to ever make it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I remember overwhipping my potatoes once... could have use that shit instead of wood glue.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
old man hooked me up with 20 pounds of ground venison. what should i cook with it? all i ever do with venison is tacos or cheesy-venison/blackbeans/rice. but as awesome as my venison tacos are, i think i'll get sick of them after 20 pounds worth. :)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
old man hooked me up with 20 pounds of ground venison. what should i cook with it? all i ever do with venison is tacos or cheesy-venison/blackbeans/rice. but as awesome as my venison tacos are, i think i'll get sick of them after 20 pounds worth. :)

Venisonloaf? Venisonburgers? Stroganoff? Spaghetti sauce? Meatballs? Curry any of the previous options? Ground meat is highly versatile, and venison is a great beef substitute.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'll never understand the plebs who French's Fried Onions by putting them with green beans in a casserole. The correct use of those onions is as a generous topping on a broccoli and cheese sauce casserole.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Tried AB's recipe for green bean casserole in previous years, never turned out right. This year was spot on, best tasting thing on the menu for sure.

I do love turkey, though. Everyone else seems to think it's pretty meh. Part of it is probably the nostalgia of it all. But I look forward to it every year. Bought another when it went on sale on Friday as well, going to cook it up on Saturday.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I agree that Turkey is the worst meat that exists, but if you serve anything else on Thanksgiving I'm going to be disappointed. Sometimes it's about tradition and not just what tastes good.

Stuffing/dressing on the other hand, is delicious and I don't know why we only eat it at Thanksgiving. Should be a side dish in regular rotation throughout the year like mashed potatoes.

The secret to good mashed potatoes is to put outrageous amounts of butter in them. Put in what seems like a reasonable amount and then quadruple it. My Mom also puts some cream cheese in her potatoes which doesn't hurt anything.

Tried AB's recipe for green bean casserole in previous years, never turned out right. This year was spot on, best tasting thing on the menu for sure.

I tried this once and it was an utter failure. Onions were burnt and it went downhill from there. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

Last edited:

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Venison in stroganoff is so delicious...it is a go-to for me.

I would think it would do well in pastitsio too, because of the spices. I am just guessing but I am so going to try that.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Cyber Monday got me good. Just ordered a kamado from BBQ Guru with their holiday special. God I can't wait to have a grill again.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
12 hour brined, 4$ a pound super turkey then we turned the carcass and bones into congee.

the last 5 years we've been going to friends or nephews for thxgiving and i always turn the turkey into congee after.

Usually i take over the turkey carving after i show the man of the house how to slice a boob for ppl to eat. (slice horizontal at the arm bone then slice vertical).

Then i just take the turkey back to the kitchen and deconstruct it. No one minds cuz i do a bombass job and most every is afraid of turkey carving anyway.

My congee recipe is really simple, it's a take on my family recipe, the only asian ingredient is sliced ginger, of course you can hit it with some star anise but i choose not to, also ppl top it off with scallions... i choose not to also.

you do NOT need salt or sugar, the sodium i the soy sauce and if the turkey was brined will take care of the salt

Instead i just get the biggest stock pot they have, brown some garlic onions and ginger and just dump in all the bones and rice and soy sauce. (obviously if you know me by now, you DO NOT use low sodium soy sauce, that shit is deathly) you need deep soy sauce (not dark soy sauce, that just has molassas. Of course i'm only going to recommend to get Lee Kum Kee brand soy for this, however for many thats not a possibility and kikoman will do just fine as well, if you cant even find kikoman, then just die, cuz you live in shitsville.

it is going to be 3 cups water to 1 cup of rice. and if the turkey was brined half as much soy as rice and if not brined the same amount.

so if you're using 3 cups of rice on a brined turkey, it's 9cups of water and 1 1/2 cups of soy.

a 10qt stockpot can hold a turkey carcass and 8cups of rice comfortably, the rice will HEAVILY expand with this much water. Of course wash the rice before dumping it in and if you can use short grain rice i'd recommend that first then jasmine rice as a close second.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone any good at making curry? Mine is passable currently, but it's too damn rich. Do you just need to cut the coconut milk with water, or is there something I should get besides coconut milk?