Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Anyone any good at making curry? Mine is passable currently, but it's too damn rich. Do you just need to cut the coconut milk with water, or is there something I should get besides coconut milk?

Well if you're talking Thai Red Curry (which is my favorite Thai curry) I use this recipe which I really like quite a lot. Plus the chef is great to watch

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Damn that video is mesmerizing and that looks amazingly delicious. I'll have to make some of that!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone any good at making curry? Mine is passable currently, but it's too damn rich. Do you just need to cut the coconut milk with water, or is there something I should get besides coconut milk?
depends on the curry???

looks like youre interested in indian/malaysian curry

if you're going for japanese curry just cheat and use golden curry the japs i know don't even make their own curry, everyone gets this. Comes in 6 blocks each block is good for about two ppl.

Usually i just drop 4 in a crockpot, carrots potatoes.

i usually like to dump in grilled or stir fried chicken, if you're lazy you can of course just put in raw cubed chicken, the curry roux will be cooking for about 4hours on low.

or you can flatten out a chicken boob, batter it with tempura batter or just plain panko, give it a fry and serve on top of rice.

IMO proper rice is your best friend in a curry dish, if you're using sucky ass rice or you're not pairing the rice properly w/ curry, it'll suck.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That explains a lot. Japanese curry is the worst of the curries. It's telling when Japanese folk don't even bother making their own curry and use the fucking Velveeta version of it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I've been doing a thai-ish style yellow curry with powder. I'm not nearly fancy enough to make my own red paste, and I can't find it for sale anywhere near me so far.

The base of it is basically onion/zucchini/bell pepper/potatoes with chicken all cooked in coconut/sesame oil with your usual garlic/ginger/salt/pepper spices. It's pretty good, but just feels a bit too heavy? The coconut milk is damn near heavy cream it's so thick/rich, so I need to either find a less concentrated version or just cut it with chicken stock or something I guess?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That explains a lot. Japanese curry is the worst of the curries. It's telling when Japanese folk don't even bother making their own curry and use the fucking Velveeta version of it.
it's not my favorite packaged roux, that would be the korean ottogi instead.
I've been doing a thai-ish style yellow curry with powder. I'm not nearly fancy enough to make my own red paste, and I can't find it for sale anywhere near me so far.

The base of it is basically onion/zucchini/bell pepper/potatoes with chicken all cooked in coconut/sesame oil with your usual garlic/ginger/salt/pepper spices. It's pretty good, but just feels a bit too heavy? The coconut milk is damn near heavy cream it's so thick/rich, so I need to either find a less concentrated version or just cut it with chicken stock or something I guess?

dude, wheres your fish sauce?

as far as i know 3 crabs fish sauce is the best.

also you can amazon everything green curry paste is good, look for the lonely lady brand.

Last edited:

Khane

Thai curry doesn't usually incorporate powder, it's paste. Indian is powder, though they tend to use cow's milk not coconut milk. You've got a fusion going on there. Thai Kitchen brand sells a decent paste, usually located in the Asian isle in a supermarket that carries it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_20?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=thai+kitchen+red+curry+paste&sprefix=thai+Kitchen+red+cur,aps,142&crid=1VUI030QDZITG

If you want to cut the coconut milk, cut it with water, not stock. You don't want to change the flavor profile, you just want to dilute it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thai curry doesn't usually incorporate powder, it's paste. Indian is powder, though they tend to use cow's milk not coconut milk. You've got a fusion going on there. Thai Kitchen brand sells a decent paste, usually located in the Asian isle in a supermarket that carries it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_20?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=thai+kitchen+red+curry+paste&sprefix=thai+Kitchen+red+cur,aps,142&crid=1VUI030QDZITG

If you want to cut the coconut milk, cut it with water, not stock. You don't want to change the flavor profile, you just want to dilute it.
naw thai kitchen is only ok if all you have near you is a walmart, it's like buying that joyce chen shit.

Khane

I don't know who joyce chen is, and you Asians keep your good markets to yourselves like you're guarding the secret of the universe. The Asian markets I can find around me are terrible. Pretty much entirely Indian items and some of the most disgusting, old produce I've ever seen in my life. So Thai Kitchen is the only paste I've ever seen for sale and I would say it's completely passable for a red curry.

I asked one of the women working at the local good Thai restaurant where they get their ingredients from and she gave me the typical "fuck you stupid American" response.... "Oooooh ha ha ha... I don't know... I don't know"

I make my own paste without kaffir lime leaves and with regular ginger because I like it super spicy and garlicky but I can't find those two ingredients locally.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it's definitely not traditional indian or thai, but I find it keeps better as leftovers and I tend to cook like 3-4 days of shit at a time cause I can't be arsed to make full dinners more than once or twice a week. Also I just prefer yellow for potatoes which I tend to dump in it a lot.

I went to a Korean market today on lunch and a nice old lady that worked there had me buy "low" coconut milk? Which I guess is coconut milk that's already cut with water or something? She didn't speak great english, but we'll give it a shot.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Okay, off topic, but I made a version of Gordon Ramsay's shepherd's pie tonight, and I don't know what I did differently. I have made it many times before, but tonight it came out so bloody delicious, the family polished off what I thought was enough for dinner and several days of leftovers. All of them commenting on how delicious it was, even the fussy 9 year old.

If you haven't tried the recipe, try it. It's not so hard, and it's awesome.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea it's definitely not traditional indian or thai, but I find it keeps better as leftovers and I tend to cook like 3-4 days of shit at a time cause I can't be arsed to make full dinners more than once or twice a week. Also I just prefer yellow for potatoes which I tend to dump in it a lot.

I went to a Korean market today on lunch and a nice old lady that worked there had me buy "low" coconut milk? Which I guess is coconut milk that's already cut with water or something? She didn't speak great english, but we'll give it a shot.

What is Coconut Milk? The Useful Guide from Beverage to Cream

yes, the different types of coconut milk all come down to pressings (kind of like olive oil) and dilution/dehydration.
I've seen it said that:
-cream is first pressing, with added ground coconut and/or dehydration.
-Full fat/normal is first pressing only.
-low fat is 2nd pressing.
-no f'n idea about coconut milk "drink", probably the same as the nonsense 2% real juice "fruit juice drink" idea.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just skip the coconut milk entirely

9a48ec608c43f2c597e3298a90c4db3f535d07b9b6129ab033e1a44931493c47.jpg

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Real curry isn't sweet, so yeah, coconut milk has no place in it. That said, most Americans wouldn't know real curry if it slapped them in the face. Or Japanese food. Or Chinese food. Or Mexican food in many cases.

• 1Picard