Gravy's Cooking Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
8Knvi4l.gif

I use my Instant Pot all the time. It is the best kitchen gadget I've bought in a long time. It is a superior slow cooker and pressure cooking is amazing. I can make a 7 pound pork shoulder into delicious pulled pork in 80 minutes.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's a sugar substitute. Each too much of it and it'll clean you out for real. To me it tastes sharp, if that makes sense. Like way more sweet than sugar, and sweet in a different way.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
air fryer is really shit aside from producing really good fries. It's fucking MASSIVE, i got the 5.8qt largest size and it's, it's taller than my 12qt stock pot but the basket is the size of a fucking small plate.

sure, it's DEEP, but you stack food on top of food and that shit dont cook for shit, i cut up 2 potatoes and that fried well, i did three potatoes and that sucked cuz i had some fries overlapping others.

if it makes wings really well tonight with chef jons recipe, i'll still keep it tho, btw i got the ultra analogue one, no digital shit, i hate digital anything.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm strongly considering picking one of those up. I rarely fry, but I hate how much oil it takes and the mess it leaves behind when I do. The only fried things I ever make are fries and falafel. But I wonder how that would work with something like paneer.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm strongly considering picking one of those up. I rarely fry, but I hate how much oil it takes and the mess it leaves behind when I do. The only fried things I ever make are fries and falafel. But I wonder how that would work with something like paneer.
give me a bomb ass falafel recipe w/ canned chickpeas, i'll test it out.

if you are gonna get one, i highly recommend this olive oil sprayer i've had the basic misto oil sprays in the past, but this is so much nice, a big ass button to spray, and it's clear so i can see how much oil is left with no drips and shit.

I do recommend putting it in the cupboard, to protect the oil from uv rays tho.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
give me a bomb ass falafel recipe w/ canned chickpeas, i'll test it out.

It's pretty easy. Here's what I typically do:

In a food processor pulse the following until they come to a cookie dough like consistency:

1 can of chickpeas
1/2 cup red onion
2 tbsp parsley
2 cloves of garlic - or more if you really like garlic
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

After you've pulsed all that, transfer to a mixing bowl and add in a 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs and mix. Cover with plastic wrap or something and chill in a fridge for an hour or two.

Form the chilled mixture into 1-inch balls. Fry for about 3 minutes. Make sure the oil is nice and heated at a really high temperature before you add your falafel because they'll fall apart otherwise. Also don't fry them all at once because all that oil activity will also break up the balls into fried crumb pieces.

I think an air fryer would make this a lot easier for keeping the structural integrity of the falafel balls intact.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

In a food processor pulse the following until they come to a cookie dough like consistency:

1 can of chickpeas
1/2 cup red onion
2 tbsp parsley
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

After you've pulsed all that, transfer to a mixing bowl and add in a 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs and mix. Cover with plastic wrap or something and chill in a fridge for an hour or two.

Form the chilled mixture into 1-inch balls. Fry for about 3 minutes. Make sure the oil is nice and heated at a really high temperature before you add your falafel because they'll fall apart otherwise. Also don't fry them all at once because all that oil activity will also break up the balls into fried crumb pieces.

I think an air fryer would make this a lot easier for keeping the structural integrity of the falafel balls intact.
yea i can probably skip the chilling, since thats just for structural fry, i just need some lemon, lemme head out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

1 can of chickpeas
1/2 cup red onion
2 tbsp parsley
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

i could only get goya canned peas, any other brand i should look out for?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I looked up erythritol and it looks like there is butane in it? Are you on some sort of restriction?

I used Splenda instead of Erythritol. I don't like anything related to Stevia, that's supposed to be an extract of it and Stevia tastes like shit.

Last edited:

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I prefer the "Monk Fruit in the Raw" sweetener to all other non/low caloric (less than 3 cal per tsp) no carb sweeteners, esp. in baking. Both my dad and f-i-l have the beetus and G did.
The In the Raw website has good suggestions on the conversions and other hints too

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
you got a good tzatziki recipe?

Tzatziki is easy. The key is that you need to let it setup overnight for the best flavor. Use creamy yogurt (preferably not 0% fat as the fat stores flavor better). I always wing it when I make tzatziki. I aim for really strong flavored tzat though which may not be for everyone. This is best guess right here so bear with me.

But just like:
  • Creamy some fat yogurt at least (1 cup or so)
  • Lots of garlic. Lots of it. (maybe 4 cloves or more minced)
  • Cucumber (One pickle size cucumber, more if you want more crunch).
  • Salt/Pepper (to taste)
  • Dill (I use lots as I love dill 2-3 TBSP).
  • Lemon Juice (TBSP)
Let sit overnight or so before using.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
haven't made anything too fancy with all this ground venison my old man gave me, but i'm definitely perfecting the general frying technique for it. low fat content so it helps to add a healthy amount of olive oil or butter to the pan before dropping the meat in. and you have to cook it at a pretty low temperature, just blasting it with heat like its beef makes it way too tough.

on my stove i set the heat to about 4-5 and it takes a good 15-20 minutes to thoroughly cook, but it comes out so tender and delicious.

i'm hoping he hooks me up with some venison chops or steaks too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Tzatziki is easy. The key is that you need to let it setup overnight for the best flavor. Use creamy yogurt (preferably not 0% fat as the fat stores flavor better). I always wing it when I make tzatziki. I aim for really strong flavored tzat though which may not be for everyone. This is best guess right here so bear with me.

But just like:
  • Creamy some fat yogurt at least (1 cup or so)
  • Lots of garlic. Lots of it. (maybe 4 cloves or more minced)
  • Cucumber (One pickle size cucumber, more if you want more crunch).
  • Salt/Pepper (to taste)
  • Dill (I use lots as I love dill 2-3 TBSP).
  • Lemon Juice (TBSP)
Let sit overnight or so before using.
do i chunk up the cucumber or liquify it?

also wtf kind of grocery store i got when reg full fat vanilla yogurt is twice the price of greek yogurt? lol

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't think you'll want to use vanilla yogurt. You want plain yogurt. This is what I buy:

81XhAna7r4L._SY450_.jpg