Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Baking for the first time ever, making some Keto lemon pound cake since I'm having insane cravings. I hope they don't suck, I'll post some pics when they're done.

Talking work into letting us Sous Vide steaks at work on Friday. We are going to do a potluck type thing, bring your own steak and I'm gonna bring a torch to sear.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wtf is keto cake? As in, I get the concept, what's the substitute for the majority of the cake structure?

Hekotat

Wtf is keto cake? As in, I get the concept, what's the substitute for the majority of the cake structure?

Here's the recipe so you can see.

Pound cake:

• 2 ½ cups almond flour

• ½ cup unsalted butter, softened

• 1 ½ cups erythritol

• 8 whole eggs, room temperature

• 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

• ½ teaspoon lemon extract

• ½ teaspoon salt

• 8 ounces cream cheese

• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
Glaze:

• ¼ cup powdered erythritol (Swerve confectioners)

• 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:

• preheat oven to 350•

• mix together butter, cream cheese, and erythritol

• add vanilla & lemon extracts

• add eggs and beat mixture til creamy

• in a separate small bowl, combine baking powder, salt, and almond flour

• slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ones

• fill up a bread pan (it will only fill up a standard bread dish about 2/3rds way, but the cake rises) bake for 90-100 mins, or when a toothpick comes out clean.

• for the glaze, just stir the 3 ingredients (Swerve, vanilla, heavy cream) in a small bowl and wait for the cake to cool before glazing.
edit: i forgot to put in my recipe modifications that i added 2 tbsp of Splenda to my erythritol to take out that weird "cooling" bite.

Hekotat

Well it didn't taste like shit, I think it needs a bit more sweetener in the bread. The glaze was perfect though. It did taste a little eggy, but I assume it's because it's a tad undercooked. I pulled it out because the top was looking pretty dark.

hMfxYfb.jpg

4DGIllc.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

I let it sit over night and it tastes much better now, doesn't even taste eggy.

Does anyone here make chocolate? I bought some 100% dark chocolate thinking I could eat it with peanut butter as a treat but it was so bitter I gagged and had to spit it out. So what i did was melt it down, add some half and half (only milk product I had), splenda and butter and now I'm letting them sit in the fridge to harden. Any other tips to add?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made saag paneer tonight. I seasoned and fried the paneer but I overdid it on the frying. Paneer lost too much of its softness. Saag turned out with excellent flavor but I will definitely stew for a less time next time. Ended up a too thick and lost some of the creaminess I was hoping for.

saag paneer.jpg

The paneer was simply store bought from an Indian grocery. I just cut it into cubes and seasoned with cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, turmeric, chili powder, and paprika. Saag recipe below:

In a food processor liquefy 1 tomato, 1 onion, 1/4 cup ginger paste, 5 garlic cloves.

High heat in a covered skillet with a healthy portion of ghee for 15 minutes.

Turn heat to low and add in a fuck load of spices. I did all the ones listed above plus fenugreek, asafoetida, coriander, garam masala, and sugar. About 1 1/2 tsp of all of them. Went lighter on the sugar and asafoetida and heavier on the garam masala. Mix and cook another 10 min.

Add 2 cups of cream and mix. Add in the spinach. I actually used a 1 lb bag of frozen spinach but I let it thaw and drained it before adding it in.

I stewed for about 2.5 hours but I probably could have done almost have that. I added in the fried paneer after about an hour.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Does anyone here make chocolate? I bought some 100% dark chocolate thinking I could eat it with peanut butter as a treat but it was so bitter I gagged and had to spit it out. So what i did was melt it down, add some half and half (only milk product I had), splenda and butter and now I'm letting them sit in the fridge to harden. Any other tips to add?

100%? You bought unsweetened chocolate and then tried to eat it? Splenda will help but it might throw off what you're used to chocolate normally tasting. Kinda like drinking regular soda your whole life then having diet for the first time.

Chocolate + high-fat dairy is typically called 'ganache'. Depending on your ratios, you'll get something that's glossy and kinda thick. While at warmer temperatures, it can be used as a heavy frosting for cakes. A classic preparation is the frosting for Boston Creme Pie. Warm it back and dip just about anything in it.

I made saag paneer tonight. I seasoned and fried the paneer but I overdid it on the frying. Paneer lost too much of its softness. Saag turned out with excellent flavor but I will definitely stew for a less time next time. Ended up a too thick and lost some of the creaminess I was hoping for.

View attachment 157355

The paneer was simply store bought from an Indian grocery. I just cut it into cubes and seasoned with cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, turmeric, chili powder, and paprika. Saag recipe below:

In a food processor liquefy 1 tomato, 1 onion, 1/4 cup ginger paste, 5 garlic cloves.

High heat in a covered skillet with a healthy portion of ghee for 15 minutes.

Turn heat to low and add in a fuck load of spices. I did all the ones listed above plus fenugreek, asafoetida, coriander, garam masala, and sugar. About 1 1/2 tsp of all of them. Went lighter on the sugar and asafoetida and heavier on the garam masala. Mix and cook another 10 min.

Add 2 cups of cream and mix. Add in the spinach. I actually used a 1 lb bag of frozen spinach but I let it thaw and drained it before adding it in.

I stewed for about 2.5 hours but I probably could have done almost have that. I added in the fried paneer after about an hour.

I'm sure it tasted good, but god damn, that looks like a lawn mower vomited on your plate. WTF is with Indian food and lack of visual appeal?

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Haha. 100% pure chocolate is like chalk. I've made that same mistake. No bueno.

• 1Worf

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm sure it tasted good, but god damn, that looks like a lawn mower vomited on your plate. WTF is with Indian food and lack of visual appeal?

Like I said, I did stew it a bit too long so too much of the cream cooked off. But yeah, even if I stewed it almost an hour less it would still look like below. It isn't the most pleasant-looking cuisine beyond the vibrant colors. But it's so flavorful and delicious!

20171203_181409.jpg

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I've made keto fat bombs before with peanut butter and 100% coco. I melted equal parts coconut oil and peanut butter in a sauce pan on low heat and stirred in the coco powder and stevia to taste - don't remember the actual amounts I used. Spooned about 2-3 tablespoons in cupcake papers and threw them in the fridge. They were good, but had to be kept in the fridge until eaten. Just one was enough to smash my sweet tooth while doing the no carb diet.

Hekotat

I've made keto fat bombs before with peanut butter and 100% coco. I melted equal parts coconut oil and peanut butter in a sauce pan on low heat and stirred in the coco powder and stevia to taste - don't remember the actual amounts I used. Spooned about 2-3 tablespoons in cupcake papers and threw them in the fridge. They were good, but had to be kept in the fridge until eaten. Just one was enough to smash my sweet tooth while doing the no carb diet.

What can you do to make the chocolate brittle? I love when chocolate is brittle but I can't seem to replicate it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You purposefully want the chocolate to be shitty? From my experience, that happens the more pure the chocolate. Chocolate's crystalline fat structure is very finicky, read up about tempering chocolate if you're interested. Adding stuff in insurance against brittle chocolate, it's one of the reasons milk chocolate is more popular than dark. The resulting product is cheaper and more reliable/stable.

So, I guess if your dark chocolate isn't "crunchy" enough for you, you have promote changes to that crystalline structure somehow. If you let it sit around a while(weeks/months), fat bloom will happen, that much cause something like that. Repeat freezings might do it too.

• 1Like

Hekotat

You purposefully want the chocolate to be shitty? From my experience, that happens the more pure the chocolate. Chocolate's crystalline fat structure is very finicky, read up about tempering chocolate if you're interested. Adding stuff in insurance against brittle chocolate, it's one of the reasons milk chocolate is more popular than dark. The resulting product is cheaper and more reliable/stable.

So, I guess if your dark chocolate isn't "crunchy" enough for you, you have promote changes to that crystalline structure somehow. If you let it sit around a while(weeks/months), fat bloom will happen, that much cause something like that. Repeat freezings might do it too.

lol, naw not shitty just a preference. It sounds like a pain in the ass, I'll just make due.

Thanks for the reply, it's interesting learning about that kind of stuff.

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What can you do to make the chocolate brittle? I love when chocolate is brittle but I can't seem to replicate it.

I know some recipes call for paraffin wax be added to melted chocolate so it would setup firm, but that was in old recipes and just for a chocolate coating. I wouldn't use it today and certainly not in the quantity to make chocolate bars. There may be some new wax based product to firm candy now that might be better.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Like I said, I did stew it a bit too long so too much of the cream cooked off. But yeah, even if I stewed it almost an hour less it would still look like below. It isn't the most pleasant-looking cuisine beyond the vibrant colors. But it's so flavorful and delicious!

View attachment 157359

Saag paneer is pretty awesome. Mild or spicy. If spinach didn't make my gout flare up I would cheerfully eat plates of it at the local buffet.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's still sitting in the box until christmas because of male, white, euro-centric oppression. First thing made with it will be ribs, fur sure.

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's still sitting in the box until christmas because of male, white, euro-centric oppression. First thing made with it will be ribs, fur sure.
whoa there, you can't counter being Food Cucked, by immediately going on to cook some manly ribs, how about you work your way up first by like pressure cooking flan.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
related note, i tried my air fryer on just basic fries...

pretty good, i'll try wings tomorrow w/ the chef john recipe, got the supersized 5.8q one.

• 1Like