Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
9a48ec608c43f2c597e3298a90c4db3f535d07b9b6129ab033e1a44931493c47.jpg
The only reason coconut milk is used, is cuz the indians were too dumb to milk their cows so they begged the british to give them something similiar

The reason why malaysians use coconut milk is cuz they're dirty asians.

How about you get your shit together first, then critique, bitch.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've never had Indian Curry that used Coconut milk. It's always been cow's milk.

That said. You serious about cutting coconut milk from all curry moonarchia? Thai curry is the best curry there is, and it's all about the coconut milk.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I've never had Indian Curry that used Coconut milk. It's always been cow's milk.

That said. You serious about cutting coconut milk from all curry moonarchia? Thai curry is the best curry there is, and it's all about the coconut milk.

Incorrect. Japanese curry is the best curry there is. And there is no coconut milk in it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Japanese curry. I like it's gravy consistency but Thai, Burmese, and Indian are definitely preferred.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That's the worst curry.

You are wrong. Japanese curry is absolutely delicious. Other curries are all right. Indian can be good if it's not made with coconut milk or other sweet stuff. I love me a good vindaloo, although as I get older my stomach is getting less hospitable to the really spicy stuff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My dad bought me one of those instant pot things. I've never had a pressure cooker before so this could be pretty awesome.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
My dad bought me one of those instant pot things. I've never had a pressure cooker before so this could be pretty awesome.

Let me know how that goes and what you're going to use it for. Always wanted one for rice but I'm on the Keto diet right now so it doesn't make sense.

Did chicken in the Sous Vide last night, I normally don't like chicken because it's too easy to overcook but I could actually see myself eating this often. I just need to get a seasoning ratio I like and I'll make it more often, I tried Lemon, Rosemary, Butter, Salt, Pepper, Papprika. It was tasty in spots but was still missing something.

Been talking the Sous Vide up at work and now everyone wants to try one so I think I'm going to bring it up next friday and cook steak for everyone. Does anyone know how many steaks you can reasonably fit in that Rubbermaid container linked earlier? It'll be NY Strips and I just want to make sure I can get around 10/11 in there. Also, what do you guys use to keep the food completely submerged/organize? I had no issues with floating until Chicken and I think some time of metal organization tool would make it easier to get all 10/11 steaks in the container.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Japanese curry. I like it's gravy consistency but Thai, Burmese, and Indian are definitely preferred.
Yea see if you can get a honest to shinto place that'll serve good japanese curry rice

however, maybe it's the rice?

japanese curry would be short grain rice

you've stated you've liked curry traditionally using
jasmine, basmati

try it out, i personally have
short grain
jasmine
basmati
arborio
Been talking the Sous Vide up at work and now everyone wants to try one so I think I'm going to bring it up next friday and cook steak for everyone. Does anyone know how many steaks you can reasonably fit in that Rubbermaid container linked earlier? It'll be NY Strips and I just want to make sure I can get around 10/11 in there. Also, what do you guys use to keep the food completely submerged/organize? I had no issues with floating until Chicken and I think some time of metal organization tool would make it easier to get all 10/11 steaks in the container.

1. if it's floating, you might have air you havent gotten out, are you doing immersion? if so, try a vac
1a. if you got a cambro (flat surface) use paper clips to keep it down
1b. if you have round, try flipping a veggie steamer upside down and putting a heavy bowl on it, it won't tip over
1c. vac seal some weights, like quarters or if you fish, use those, but still vac it, to keep out metalic shit

How about instead you get chuck steak and sous vide it for 1/3 the price, and when they say "yum this is great steak" tell em, it's cheap ass chuck, sous vide is just able to make it that much better.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Japanese curry is at best the 3rd best curry in the world, and I lived in Kyoto for 2 years.

Thai Curry is #1. By a distance.

Indian Curry is #2.

Japanese Curry is #3.

But, Japanese Curry is MUCH easier to make yourself - making a really good Thai Curry is almost impossible in the United States unless you have access to a well supplied Asian Grocer and have the patience of a Saint. I think that's why so many Americans prefer Japanese curry, it's simple and delicious

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Those sous vide steaks aren't gonna come out good unless you have something to sear them with after they are out of the bath. They're gonna look gross too.

I don't even sous vide my steaks. I save the sous vide for chicken and fish. Steaks come out much better the old fashioned sear in a cast iron pan then throw in a 300 degree oven way.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I'm interested, too. I need to expand to pressure cooker cooking and this looks like something good.
I've been looking at recipes, there's a ton of keto/paleo pressure cooker recipes out there that sounds pretty good. And a really interesting recipe for ribs. I never cook ribs because I don't have a smoker and who has time for the oven, but this could work.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Also, what do you guys use to keep the food completely submerged/organize? I had no issues with floating until Chicken and I think some time of metal organization tool would make it easier to get all 10/11 steaks in the container.

LMGTFY

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
G and I started a tradition a few years ago of assembling family meals as Christmas gifts for my side of the family (We usually send meat or gift certificates for favorite restaurants to his side.)
It has been a hit. This is year 5 of it. I have G in my heart a lot today. ♡
I bought whole beef loin for KCstrips yesterday at Costco for 5.89 a pound, am getting ready to cut into steaks and package. I bought some really nice Yukon gold potatoes to go with it, will add salad, homemade dressing, dessert and a bottle of wine to each package.
Of course I bought enough for me to...will cook as Khane says..hot ass cast iron. I have tried sous vide a couple of times and I prefer the cast iron skillet, my results are always better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users