Gravy's Cooking Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll help.

I'm making some tikka masala. Instead of paneer I switched to halloumi recently. It's so much better. It pan fries and holds the flavor of spices really well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not the best cook at least for fancy fancy stuff. Put it this way, one of my favorite cookbooks is A man, a can, a plan or something like that which is mostly off shelf items combined into white trash food.

Preface aside, I got a big bag of lobstertino's. Some are going to feed my saltwater aquarium, but I figured I might enjoy them. Not sure what to do with them though, figured I could go simple and like boil or sear them into some ramen or rice, but figure something else might be better? Just cooked with butter or...?? Not very creative on things outside what I already know.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a friend who went to SD this past weekend and she bought a live sea urchin that they cut in half and you eat right out of it while it's still moving. She said it was delicious.

sea urchin.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
A lot of foods look disgusting but are delicious. I've eaten sea urchin before and it's pretty damn good. Definitely one of the more flavorful sushi proteins. I'm going to a fancy pants French restaurant next week and I think that will be on the menu along with caviar. Excited to get my food snobbery on.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I am a big fan of Kenji over on serious eats and tend to try making anything he posts up for pressure cookers. This week I went with his Beef Stew recipe.Turned out to be completely awesome as usual.

Excellent Beef Stew on a Weeknight? Thank Your Pressure Cooker

Few things he does to add to the deep flavors he achieves:

Brown the meat in steaks then cube it up later on and toss with flour.
Addition of soy sauce and anchovies(I used fish sauce) for the umami boost
Use of 2 sets of vegetables, saute the veggies that will be in the final product and set aside then throw in second to build flavor and turn to mush to be discarded.

Great dish for a rainy day.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While I was traveling for work, I had a $35 "chef's choice" sashimi plate earlier in the week at a place with good reviews. I can't be sure, but It seemed like each of the 6 types of fish that came was something from the tuna family. I know some of the tuna's are up there, but Man, what a let down; I shoulda just found a conveyor belt sushi place instead.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Where are you? Might have something to do with what they can get ahold of.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Tuna is the best kind of fish so I wouldn't be too disappointed.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure, sure. But there are so many other choices too, for contrast and whatnot.

It probably doesn't help that, while I like my fish, my Prime Rib, etc; I would give up EVERY other protein for sea bugs and the other sea invertebrates. Squid, Octo, crab, lobster, shrimp, urchin, etc etc; I will destroy them, meal after meal, day after day if given the chance :p

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
No Super Bowl grub updates? Sad. I made jackfruit tacos. Go ahead and flame away, but jackfruit is so fucking legit. I can't believe how meaty and flavorful that stuff is.

jackfruit tacos.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Did pulled pork for sandwiches during the day leading up to the game then made nachos with french fries instead of chips. Came out really well, normally I would make the guacamole and the salsa but this year just grabbed some locally made stuff.