Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wife n went to big party, must been over 100hands shook, sick as shit now, and snow fell, made congee
PHOTO_20180114_182919.jpg

Ran out of sushi rice, so had to use half Jasmine rice, that's why it's not as glutenous nor thick, sushi (short grain) rice has more and absorbs more water.

3 to 1 water to rice, throw in a cup of so (or half bottle) if you want to intesify falvor use chicken or beef stock., Cook on low for how's, ginger if you want aromatics, star anise if you want it to smell more asainy ,pepper, but go easy on saot cuz of sodium in soy already, throw in some slice non beef meats, bone if you have em, and you should be good.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You know how you make oatmeal by cooking the dry bits until they are gloop? same, but for rice, cooked in stock.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I can eat real, whole grain breads and still stay in ketosis when I'm doing keto. A slice of real bread is only like 20g of carbs. I can usually eat between 60g and 90g of carbs per day and remain in ketosis.

Have you actually tried to kick yourself out of keto and gotten a good number of where you stand? Often times you don't need to go overboard with all these low carb versions of foods. Enjoy the real deal.

I've been experimenting, but I haven't flat out ate bread or pasta.

I am not super strict keto, though, so if I want a real sandwich I'll make one.

I'm a huge fan of finding easily replaceable foods and the 90 second keto bread is perfect for things like BLTs or sausage and cheese biscuits.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Did ribs in the Instant Pot tonight. 2 racks of st louis style ribs. At first, I didn't put the trivet in and I tried putting some liquid smoke, worschetereherhkasdjhhjg sauce, and apple cider vinegar in the bottom. I had some idea about doing a fancy jus or some shit. So, a warning, if you try that you better put enough liquid or it will evaporate quickly and the Instant Pot stops operations and you get a "burn" warning. It was all a waste of time anyway, sauce didn't some out like I wanted.

But the ribs, 2 racks for 25 minutes on "more" setting. Finished them in the oven with some real vinegary sauce I found, trying to stay away from the sugar etc. They were amazing. The texture was great, the taste was great, hint of smoke from the liquid smoke, nice char from finishing int he broiler. Very happy about this. Of course, everyone in the house was out but we so I'm the only one who ate them, so I just have a gang of ribs in my fridge now.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, that's the one big rule you can't break with the instant pot is always make sure enough liquid is in the pot.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ya'll instapotters shoulda read my post and bought like 10 rings, i don't even have an instapot and bought 2

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I snagged 4. That will last a year at least. 2 for sweet stuff and 2 for savory

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They don't fail to quickly, what they do is take on the smells of the food you are cooking which is why I got 4

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They degrade over time cuz of the insane pressure, just like regular pressure cooker, had to replace twice, my fagor

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I've been experimenting, but I haven't flat out ate bread or pasta.

I am not super strict keto, though, so if I want a real sandwich I'll make one.

I'm a huge fan of finding easily replaceable foods and the 90 second keto bread is perfect for things like BLTs or sausage and cheese biscuits.

They sell a good flatbread around my parts thats low carb, all exotic grains and shit, its like 16 grams for a whole one, bonus its square so you can make normal sammies out of it. Toast it and it turns into a sort of crisp on the outside with a soft layer inside. Its all I eat for bread these days. I tried to make my own breads and shit but they always took too long to make and tasted liek shit. Plus you had to hunt around for the ingredients, which usually are only sold in specialty stores. So ill take the 16 gram hit. I usualy make burgers with them, breakfast sammies with sausage cheese and egg, etc....Pizza?

There is also a low carb roll-ups thats like 8 grams each, Kroger sells them in the mexican section, makes good roll-ups and shit like tacos, burritos and shit like that. Even thin crust pizza if you want. Its out there, you just have to search it out. There is more and more of this shit appearing lately too. They are even selling the shiritake noodles there lately. Its like 2 grams carbs for the whole bag. Makes good spaghetti, or great in noodle soup.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Was craving the French onion soup

IMG_20180120_145510.jpg

Nothing fancy.

Two onions caramelized, seasoned with salt
Tbsp of tomato paste, cooked in with the carm onions for a few minutes till smelling rich and fragrant
De glazed with a couple shots of booze.
Add about a litre of beef stock. I used the Knorr stuff
Simmer for a few
Pour into oven safe bowl, add French bread, cheese it up, broil till melty

• 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I didn't have any red wine, so just for added complexity I used whisky.

I could've used vinegar but I was happy with the soup flavor when I tested it.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Instant pot for the win!

1 Tablespoon oil
2 lbs. ground beef (85/15 or 80/20 works best)
2 cups beef broth
2 cans tomato paste
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

10 pressure, 5 natural release

If you like a good chili dog, give it a shot.