Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Brisket was amazing. It is very consistent cooking it in the sous vide and then finishing it in the oven. Get exactly the same result every time, and it's good.

Did you just broil it after or what? Details man, I'm an Sous Vide/Oven brisket nub.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Did you just broil it after or what? Details man, I'm an Sous Vide/Oven brisket nub.

36 hours in the sous vide at 155. I added my own rub and a little liquid smoke. Then 2 hours at 275 convection oven. It has to be up on a rack in a roasting pan. The time in the oven develops the nice "bark" on the outside.

Now I'm sad the leftovers are gone.
:(

Hekotat

36 hours in the sous vide at 155. I added my own rub and a little liquid smoke. Then 2 hours at 275 convection oven. It has to be up on a rack in a roasting pan. The time in the oven develops the nice "bark" on the outside.

Now I'm sad the leftovers are gone.
:(

Is a roasting pan something specific? I assume it's different from a cookie sheet.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1288725741roasting%20pan.jpg

2-3 inch sides, usually handles.

or for the throwaway needs:

41d0q91IcYL.jpg

Cookie sheets are *technically* just a sheet with a grabbable edge (so you can slide cookies off easily)

213HiDspNzL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

But most of us count "sheet pans" as cookie sheets too. Sheet Pans have ~1/2 inch lips.

71wnAZ6ojCS._SL1500_.jpg

Based on the quantities of drippings you get from doing a roast , those extra 1.5+ inches of sides and handles make a big difference on how much near boiling pre-gravy you spill all over while getting your food out of the oven.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess I've gotten lucky, I picked up a *NICE* covered roaster and a decent enough rectangle roasting pan from goodwill for pocket change.
oval-roaster-with-closed-lid.jpg
16-stainless-steel-heavy-duty-roasting-pan-with-rack.jpg

Pretty much every week I make lunches and/or dinners in the covered one. (fill nearly level with veg, plop a 3-4 lb protein on top. season, cover, roast for 3-4 hours @375. cut or shred, mix, portion out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The only reason to get a roasting pan is for
Presentation
And to deglaze the fond or brown bits at the bottom

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Low carb people, found some good stuff.

First, 90 second keto bread. Just used this recipe for lunch to make a bacon sandwich and it was awesome. It was pretty dry, though, so next time I'll use mayo.

90 Second Microwave Bread with Almond or Coconut Flour • Low Carb with Jennifer

Also, if you haven't made Fathead Pizza then you are missing out. It is about 80% as good as normal pizza and better than all boxed or microwave pizza. As a bonus, you can use the dough recipe to make all sorts of things like sausage rolls or crackers.

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can eat real, whole grain breads and still stay in ketosis when I'm doing keto. A slice of real bread is only like 20g of carbs. I can usually eat between 60g and 90g of carbs per day and remain in ketosis.

Have you actually tried to kick yourself out of keto and gotten a good number of where you stand? Often times you don't need to go overboard with all these low carb versions of foods. Enjoy the real deal.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I can eat real, whole grain breads and still stay in ketosis when I'm doing keto. A slice of real bread is only like 20g of carbs. I can usually eat between 60g and 90g of carbs per day and remain in ketosis.

Have you actually tried to kick yourself out of keto and gotten a good number of where you stand? Often times you don't need to go overboard with all these low carb versions of foods. Enjoy the real deal.
I've had the 90 second bread. It's actually pretty legit. For a small sandwich anyway, I don't think I would try it for anything too big.

Hekotat

I guess I need to get one with a lid, every time I try to do ribs in the oven the splatters destroy the inside of my oven.

I assumed if you covered the ribs with a lid you wouldn't get that char/carmalized effect like on a grill.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I guess I need to get one with a lid, every time I try to do ribs in the oven the splatters destroy the inside of my oven.

I assumed if you covered the ribs with a lid you wouldn't get that char/carmalized effect like on a grill.
Baking soda and vinegar work nicely.

I put some water in the soda to make it past, then I put vinegar in a bottle and spray.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

For ribs n the oven you should try Alton Browns recipe.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
instapot silicone rings i don't even have one, but click the coupon underneath and save 17bucks and it's 1 buck a ring.

you instapot owners better buy like 10, at this coupon price, it's out of stock, but just order, not like you'll be in a rush anyway.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So I made the Maghmour recipe from the post above tonight. It's outrageously good. I think I might roast the eggplant instead of frying next time though because the eggplant quarters absorb A LOT of oil.

That is definitely going in my normal rotation.

Can confirm the delciousness. Made this today. Took your advice and roasted the eggplant vs frying.

• 1Like