Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is Strata Home a part of the Monoprice brand?

I know their thing is to build their own versions of tech/entertainment stuff only for cheap.
It's the same as the other anova clone we lin ked b4, stolen designs pumped out cheaply by china.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I made instant pot yesterday and I do recommend this. Put pork shoulder in the instant put. Preferably the nice Carnitas cuts. Rub it down with Cumin, Oregano, salt, pepper and add bay leaf. Put some onion and small amount of water in the pot with it.

Turn the pot on for 60-70 minutes at the standard meat pressure. Take it out drain off the juices (don't have to do this can keep it for making gravy or sauce or something if you want) and put it on a foil lined baking tray. Spread the pulled pork carnitas nicely and broil it up for 5-8 minutes. Gets a perfect slight crisp without drying it out. Excellent.

And it takes less than 90 minutes. God bless the instant pot.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
That monoprice sous vide is mad tempting.

I mean think about it. It's not a complicated device by any means. I use a goddamn cooler and tea kettle ...

I have the Monoprice sous vide machine and it is boss. Even fits the Anova specific cooking container and lid from Amazon.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I made instant pot yesterday and I do recommend this. Put pork shoulder in the instant put. Preferably the nice Carnitas cuts. Rub it down with Cumin, Oregano, salt, pepper and add bay leaf. Put some onion and small amount of water in the pot with it.

Turn the pot on for 60-70 minutes at the standard meat pressure. Take it out drain off the juices (don't have to do this can keep it for making gravy or sauce or something if you want) and put it on a foil lined baking tray. Spread the pulled pork carnitas nicely and broil it up for 5-8 minutes. Gets a perfect slight crisp without drying it out. Excellent.

I do this about once every two weeks.

- Get a full 8 lbs pork shoulder for $1.39 a lb.
- Cut it into fist size chunks (leave the bone in, the meat will fall off of it completely during the cookign process).
- Instant pot on high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Vent pressure, put pork in a disposable tin foil container, and shred with forks.
- Season all over with Head Country Championship Seasoning.
- Congrats, you have pulled pork for whatever you want.
- Ziplock leftovers for meals for lunches/dinners.

Optional:
- Put cooking oil in a pan to just cover the bottom completey.
- Heat on medium-high heat (4/6).
- Throw in as much of the bagged pulled pork as you like straight from the fridge.
- Season with cumin, onion powder, garlic salt, and ancho chili powder.
- Pan fry to desired crispiness.
- Congrats, you have carnitas.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I do this about once every two weeks.

- Get a full 8 lbs pork shoulder for $1.39 a lb.
- Cut it into fist size chunks (leave the bone in, the meat will fall off of it completely during the cookign process).
- Instant pot on high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Vent pressure, put pork in a disposable tin foil container, and shred with forks.
- Season all over with Head Country Championship Seasoning.
- Congrats, you have pulled pork for whatever you want.
- Ziplock leftovers for meals for lunches/dinners.

Optional:
- Put cooking oil in a pan to just cover the bottom completey.
- Heat on medium-high heat (4/6).
- Throw in as much of the bagged pulled pork as you like straight from the fridge.
- Season with cumin, onion powder, garlic salt, and ancho chili powder.
- Pan fry to desired crispiness.
- Congrats, you have carnitas.

Only thing I would change is to get pre-cut for carnitas pork if you can. It's easy to get in Texas and removes the hassle of trimming it up.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You guys ever watch Alex French Guy cooking on YT?

Once you get past his super French accent you'll find a great show. Very Good Eats like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You guys ever watch Alex French Guy cooking on YT?

Once you get past his super French accent you'll find a great show. Very Good Eats like.
I literally just started watching him yesterday. I watched him rig up some Chinese pasta maker to a drill. Good stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
His series on making instant ramen or fantastic

I recommend http://greenoodle.com/ if you want to make instant ramen with much lower guilt and much healthier overall. I make spicy ramen with these a lot. I like that French Guy's videos. Mainly for making the killer ramen broth. I might make my own noodles one day but at the moment I don't really have the stuff for it.

But it wills trike my interest one day. I have already mastered Chashu pork and the Ramen Egg! Homemade Tsukemen Ramen is the dream!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I recommend http://greenoodle.com/ if you want to make instant ramen with much lower guilt and much healthier overall. I make spicy ramen with these a lot. I like that French Guy's videos. Mainly for making the killer ramen broth. I might make my own noodles one day but at the moment I don't really have the stuff for it.

But it wills trike my interest one day. I have already mastered Chashu pork and the Ramen Egg! Homemade Tsukemen Ramen is the dream!
Is your ramen egg basic soy/ramen?

What's a good Jap chasiu recipe? My dad's Chinese charsiu tastes great, but too sugary for Japan ramen.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is your ramen egg basic soy/ramen?

What's a good Jap chasiu recipe? My dad's Chinese charsiu tastes great, but too sugary for Japan ramen.

I use chicken stock (better than boullion) and sizhuan chili oil/Fried Chilis in Oil (Laoganma brand with the fugly old lady on it) as the base here. I only buy the Green Noodle plain or the shitake soy sauce one since it just comes with powdered up Shitake and a small amount of soy sauce. Key vegetables to include are bok choy, green onion, and either shredded carrot or mushroom IMO. Egg of course too. Anyway, CHASHU.

I started trying these two recipes and then found a comfortable medium. I dislike too much sugar in it also. I tend to lean towards the first one just with less sugar and more mirin and I use light sake.

This one I made a while back with some fish and not chashu or anything. But my, "ramen" looks like this a lot.
22199187_10155851533984571_2133687722_o.png

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I use chicken stock (better than boullion) and sizhuan chili oil/Fried Chilis in Oil (Laoganma brand with the fugly old lady on it) as the base here. I only buy the Green Noodle plain or the shitake soy sauce one since it just comes with powdered up Shitake and a small amount of soy sauce. Key vegetables to include are bok choy, green onion, and either shredded carrot or mushroom IMO. Egg of course too. Anyway, CHASHU.

I started trying these two recipes and then found a comfortable medium. I dislike too much sugar in it also. I tend to lean towards the first one just with less sugar and more mirin and I use light sake.

This one I made a while back with some fish and not chashu or anything. But my, "ramen" looks like this a lot.
22199187_10155851533984571_2133687722_o.png
sugar/molassas/honey in charsiu is more indicative of a chinese charsiu rather than a jap charsu

this is usually the chinese chariu i'm refering to
28080673023_8f66986035_o.jpg

for ramen noodles, i'll just use nissin demae, other than trying to find some way to get fresh noodles, this is the best option. i mean nissin demae is the best instant ramen in the world, for some reason, it's .75c a pack, that's almost unheard of on amazon. In fact, i'd pay usually a dollar at the asian grocer, and usually asian stuff on amazon has a 1.5x markup.

admittedly, the ramen packs come a bit crushed, cuz they just slap a label on the shipping boxes, but i really can't complain when the best instant ramen, just shows up at my door, cheaper than if i bought em in chinatown.

also TJT, whats w/ the korean chopsticks? , i know it's preference, i have all of em, my wife prefers the korean, i use old chinese wooden chopsticks for cooking and eating.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
sugar/molassas/honey in charsiu is more indicative of a chinese charsiu rather than a jap charsu

this is usually the chinese chariu i'm refering to
28080673023_8f66986035_o.jpg

for ramen noodles, i'll just use nissin demae, other than trying to find some way to get fresh noodles, this is the best option. i mean nissin demae is the best instant ramen in the world, for some reason, it's .75c a pack, that's almost unheard of on amazon. In fact, i'd pay usually a dollar at the asian grocer, and usually asian stuff on amazon has a 1.5x markup.

admittedly, the ramen packs come a bit crushed, cuz they just slap a label on the shipping boxes, but i really can't complain when the best instant ramen, just shows up at my door, cheaper than if i bought em in chinatown.

also TJT, whats w/ the korean chopsticks? , i know it's preference, i have all of em, my wife prefers the korean, i use old chinese wooden chopsticks for cooking and eating.

Oh I don't personally care. It's just what was cheapest on Amazon whenever I bought them. I still prefer the Green Noodle though because the texture is basically the same and they are much lower calorie and healthier. I have big/extra long wood chopsticks that I use for cooking stuff. They're made out of some plant that's similar to okra... or something.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

So I went out and got one of these, 8qt for $110 at my local wallmart. I just got a pork butt like a few days before this so your post was like cool idea.

So I cut the fucker into 2 pieces, browned it on all sides, blah, blah. Added the water, some bullion and onion, set it on high for 90 min. But it did not come out as tender as I like. what did I do wrong? Should I cut it into smaller pieces? I mean some of it was fork tender, but the stuff around the bone was not. I felt like it could of used another 20-30 min, even an hour.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I went out and got one of these, 8qt for $110 at my local wallmart. I just got a pork butt like a few days before this so your post was like cool idea.

So I cut the fucker into 2 pieces, browned it on all sides, blah, blah. Added the water, some bullion and onion, set it on high for 90 min. But it did not come out as tender as I like. what did I do wrong? Should I cut it into smaller pieces? I mean some of it was fork tender, but the stuff around the bone was not. I felt like it could of used another 20-30 min, even an hour.

Yeah, when I said Carnitas cuts to get the best result you can't have it cut in half on the bone like that. This is ideal IMO. I rarely use a bone in pork butt. When I do I trim it up real nice and just lave the bone in there for flavor although I could just be retarded. Also browning on all sides before it goes in the instant pot is a waste. Only brown it in the broiler after you tear it up.

Something like this, but rub it up with cumin and whatnot like I said. In Texas, you can get it pre-cut like this for essentially the same price as normal pork butt. The one I just bought was like 3lbs for $5.15 or something?

IMG_3443.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah well this aint Texas bro, we get pork butts in cryo vac either whole butt or 1/2. Usually bone in, only costco I think sells without bone. This was like 1/2 of one, like 6-7 lbs but with bone? Anyway, so yeah, just cut it up more next time.

Im about to do some chicken breasts for shreded chicken tacos, how long for chicken breasts? stovetop I like to boil them super tender in some taco mix shit and some chciken bulion, then shred the chicken, and pan fry it up with some onion and bell peppers after.

So how long would you cook the chicken in the pressure cooker. Stovetop it takes about 1 1/2-2hrs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah well this aint Texas bro, we get pork butts in cryo vac either whole butt or 1/2. Usually bone in, only costco I think sells without bone. This was like 1/2 of one, like 6-7 lbs but with bone? Anyway, so yeah, just cut it up more next time.

Im about to do some chicken breasts for shreded chicken tacos, how long for chicken breasts? stovetop I like to boil them super tender in some taco mix shit and some chciken bulion, then shred the chicken, and pan fry it up with some onion and bell peppers after.

So how long would you cook the chicken in the pressure cooker. Stovetop it takes about 1 1/2-2hrs.

20 minute or so in the instant pot for shredded chicken. I'd go for 25 I did it a few times but I don't remember exactly how long i put it in there. I only bring up the Carnitas cuts because doing it yourself to a whole pork shoulder is just annoying. But you get what you get in various places Cut it smaller and it will come out nicely.

• 1Like