Gravy's Cooking Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't really follow this thread, is this the right place to talk about how we doctor up ramen noodles? I always thought i was a weirdo, but lately I've been talking to people and found out lots of people seem to do weird stuff to it. I wanna find out what you guys do.

You too can up your ramen game son! Spicy (szechuan chili oil) ramen with vegetables and crispy broiled fish! And some kimchi.

But yeah dude, your stoner bullshit sounds gross.

9VzM6piKzSLOPamaCcge_0ViSasOAaqe2WFjQX0R-PXyLGmDOgidx-mC2gmROFZGPTYzqW8FOcUDhG6jTqPu8uMHAwLXGj6GGFlp0Oa_-TcG99nQOkckhs8WDLUj8LBUu7dWfLWByKTPVdCNUYki7ozZDCfonaHoT_HrSFPXg9huHkYMvxFlA-TqYZP4Iu-tdKzlcRKV9A6GP2k_N8c8Uh66GV3vNpIsn3fTLpwBqsRiVSeHVZRs4_A1rZs9M6fUrQEe64XPLSfHGJkS5VAbbL1Yx99bge7drkKsKfy-nPl6VSnWCfLeTmyDpnSd_AAXiMi8vRQJt5abegqYD6D-2ZBiVfmfxeLFtjyt2KDkNX6JVcqOAQb0r7DvlNGPEBzshTpIzuSeE0s1rdCOnVJIh2LBg8LdM-CBMh9AlcTLbn1X4rbLZnQgcmJHtlBASEuUlccpnkz-rAqx2zrNnLHkMGW-UEGu8oxKOSn6M0eSUT2MMIYqvUPcsQL3uoRBtd6_rxmnHuQUcyQuW61dO5NPyCK4K-Jw3l0xbv-zH6WIJGPdh2p49NiEpwrir0dPJHDqIyx5FRjzOvFyWW4AyLTrRqJR2HEl0bIu7_Rhmmg=w1240-h930-no

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just top ramen (maruchen or something like that). I haven't even tried anything else. Currently I put crackers, pringles, milk, turkey lunchmeat, avacado, and grilled jalapenos in mine. People I've been talking to do things like hot dogs, beef jerky, peanut butter, other types of chips (the chips are common), and one guy cracks an egg into it a minute before it's done cooking.

Out of all of those the peanut butter is the only one I truly don't get. Do yo do anything like that?
for realz?

an easy hint to spice up instant ramen is the old seseme oil trick, 2 drops, and you'll be good

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have been known to put diced up beef jerky into ramen. It rehydrates while it cooks so you just have little chunks of meat in there. I also throw in a chopped up grilled chicken breast sometimes. Peanut Butter sounds bizarre though. I'm also 100% sold on the fancy Walmart ramen since Lanx told me about it years ago. It's way better than the standard stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have been known to put diced up beef jerky into ramen. It rehydrates while it cooks so you just have little chunks of meat in there. I also throw in a chopped up grilled chicken breast sometimes. Peanut Butter sounds bizarre though. I'm also 100% sold on the fancy Walmart ramen since Lanx told me about it years ago. It's way better than the standard stuff.

I'll keep telling y'all. Green Noodle is also A++ quality. I do recommend it. If you have an asian store near you get think sliced beef shabu or something similar. Put it into hot broth raw and it will cook it right there. Like how you get beef in Pho Bo Tai.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I live in SE montana. I'd probably have to drive 500 miles to find an asian market.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Just top ramen (maruchen or something like that). I haven't even tried anything else. Currently I put crackers, pringles, milk, turkey lunchmeat, avacado, and grilled jalapenos in mine. People I've been talking to do things like hot dogs, beef jerky, peanut butter, other types of chips (the chips are common), and one guy cracks an egg into it a minute before it's done cooking.

Out of all of those the peanut butter is the only one I truly don't get. Do yo do anything like that?
QXkxQ.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'll keep telling y'all. Green Noodle is also A++ quality. I do recommend it. If you have an asian store near you get think sliced beef shabu or something similar. Put it into hot broth raw and it will cook it right there. Like how you get beef in Pho Bo Tai.
speaking of Pho, i'm gonna actually try to make my own now, seems like i'll be doing lots of "scum" surfing

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
speaking of Pho, i'm gonna actually try to make my own now, seems like i'll be doing lots of "scum" surfing

Godspeed man. Like you every single Vietnamese I've ever asked has told me that getting the quality they expect is such a pain in the ass they don't even bother. It's better to pay for it. As the constantly skimmed vats of it they make at a high quality pho restaurant is just way more efficiency than doing a one off at home.

But I don't think Wichita is all about delicious Pho is it?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Godspeed man. Like you every single Vietnamese I've ever asked has told me that getting the quality they expect is such a pain in the ass they don't even bother. It's better to pay for it. As the constantly skimmed vats of it they make at a high quality pho restaurant is just way more efficiency than doing a one off at home.

But I don't think Wichita is all about delicious Pho is it?
topeka, i have one location and it's like barely Pho, it's so bad that i bought this on a whim

a026c76e-9d9f-4bda-895a-1c45959bf3d3_1.02c0392fd5d069b64e5bff9e28085cc9.jpeg

and it was comparable,

I'd have to drive out to Kcity for 1hr20 to get good asian (anything asian actually, there's a good asian population there), which is still, not bad.

I've fully given up any hope of decent pizza, actually a pizza place opened up and it's two bros from buffalo. Their pizza is putrid, but they make bangin wings. I told em straight out, "yo your wings are the best", then they asked me "but how about the pizza", and i said "you remember i told you i'm from NY, right?"

sad part is, i drive out to buy wings from em, and they make little return on the wings, and i drive to a different place to get pizza (a fucking bagel store, but w/ that they bake real good that the pizza is nice).

anyway, i gave up on pizza, i can probably do the pho, it'll just be work intensive. i mean, even if that location 15mins from me was halfway decent, i'd probably suck it up, but they also give like 3 strips of beef.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
topeka, i have one location and it's like barely Pho, it's so bad that i bought this on a whim

a026c76e-9d9f-4bda-895a-1c45959bf3d3_1.02c0392fd5d069b64e5bff9e28085cc9.jpeg

and it was comparable,

I'd have to drive out to Kcity for 1hr20 to get good asian (anything asian actually, there's a good asian population there), which is still, not bad.

I've fully given up any hope of decent pizza, actually a pizza place opened up and it's two bros from buffalo. Their pizza is putrid, but they make bangin wings. I told em straight out, "yo your wings are the best", then they asked me "but how about the pizza", and i said "you remember i told you i'm from NY, right?"

sad part is, i drive out to buy wings from em, and they make little return on the wings, and i drive to a different place to get pizza (a fucking bagel store, but w/ that they bake real good that the pizza is nice).

anyway, i gave up on pizza, i can probably do the pho, it'll just be work intensive. i mean, even if that location 15mins from me was halfway decent, i'd probably suck it up, but they also give like 3 strips of beef.

I would recommend making a ton of it and then freezing it if you can or otherwise storing broth.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont understand the fascination with this pho shit. There is a supposedly really good one by us that everyone raves about so I went there at lunch one time and it was disappointing all around. Big bowl of watered down broth with noodles and a few pieces of beef. I had to add a 1/2 bottle of cock sauce to make it taste like anything.

Make yourself a good chicken soup,I use 2 whole chicken cut in 1/2 They are like $5 at kroger. I use left over chicken to make chicken salad the next day or whatever, kids love it with crackers. If you want beef broth, use beef shanks. Onion celery and carrot, fucking simple maybe some garlic curly parsley or any of that asian shit you want to add, like lemon grass?. Let that shit simmer down to intensify the flavor add fucking noodles of your choice and profit.

I just read its star anise, ginger and fish sauce. There is your leet secret to pho.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm also 100% sold on the fancy Walmart ramen since Lanx told me about it years ago. It's way better than the standard stuff.

What is this? Is it actually called 'fancy' ramen?

I like Pho too. That's where I got the idea to add jalapenos. The place i first tried pho tai had noodles, beef, bean sprouts, and jalapenos on the dirty dishwater. To that I just added soy sauce.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is a chinese grocery store by our house, I swear, they have like 100 different types of noodles there.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Made some shit in the pressure cooker today on a whim, turned out pretty good. turned it on on sear low and fried up some onion and garlic, then cut up a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs, threw those in, then cut up 2 long links of polish kielbasa, threw that in. about 4? cups of salsa, cheap chunky kroger medium shit they sell in huge plastic jugs. Then threw in 2 cans of tomato and habaniero ro-tel, 1 can of chopped chilis, then a bag of frozen pepper and onion mix, from the freezer section. Cooked for 30 min, served over rice. Kids loved it. Kind of resembled a cajun gumbo but without the roux.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What is this? Is it actually called 'fancy' ramen?
did you ignore my entire ramen post? go back and read.
I dont understand the fascination with this pho shit. There is a supposedly really good one by us that everyone raves about so I went there at lunch one time and it was disappointing all around. Big bowl of watered down broth with noodles and a few pieces of beef. I had to add a 1/2 bottle of cock sauce to make it taste like anything.
yea, you had bad pho

once you have good pho, you'll be amazed.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Pho is garbage compared to ramen. I never get pho because even decent ramen is better than some of the most slamming pho places around. I even used to live in Little Saigon and tried a number of the places. There is one spot that is excellent, but I still prefer a big ol' bowl of ramen.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The key to good Pho is you have to add Cap 'N Crunch, Pringles, slices of avocado and a few cotton balls.

• 2Worf