Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
btw, sharpen your knives.

Good video. I've been trying to sharpen my knives with a whetstone, but I suck with it. Been avoiding doing my nice knives in fear I'm going to fuck them up. Will try again this weekend after watching this video.

Side note, I have that exact sharpening stone and I soak it in that exact Ikea plastic thing he's using!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah well this aint Texas bro, we get pork butts in cryo vac either whole butt or 1/2. Usually bone in, only costco I think sells without bone. This was like 1/2 of one, like 6-7 lbs but with bone? Anyway, so yeah, just cut it up more next time.

Im about to do some chicken breasts for shreded chicken tacos, how long for chicken breasts? stovetop I like to boil them super tender in some taco mix shit and some chciken bulion, then shred the chicken, and pan fry it up with some onion and bell peppers after.

So how long would you cook the chicken in the pressure cooker. Stovetop it takes about 1 1/2-2hrs.

Not sure where you are but we have a Mexican market where I go to for anything related to Mexican food, including pre marinated meats. While in a normal store I would never buy something pre marinated but I've found ours to be quite exceptional. We have a very large Mexican community because all of the fruit grown around here so maybe we are a on off.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah all the carnicerias around here sell meat that's already been seasoned in the best marinades. The carne is always top notch.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I went out and got one of these, 8qt for $110 at my local wallmart. I just got a pork butt like a few days before this so your post was like cool idea.

So I cut the fucker into 2 pieces, browned it on all sides, blah, blah. Added the water, some bullion and onion, set it on high for 90 min. But it did not come out as tender as I like. what did I do wrong? Should I cut it into smaller pieces? I mean some of it was fork tender, but the stuff around the bone was not. I felt like it could of used another 20-30 min, even an hour.

Bro, I am to blame. I gave you dudes bad information. You can only use the 90 minute timing for around 4.5 lbs or less of meat.

I did a 9 pound pork shoulder yesterday for 90 minutes and it was not falling off the bone. I had to put it back on high pressure for another 30 minutes to get it falling apart like you want.

Here are the only two ingredients you need (only use 12 or so ounces of the Dr. Pepper, the recipe calls for a single can but I couldn't get one):

IMG_20180307_094601.jpg

You cut it up into fist size pieces at least, smaller if you are worried about cook time. The biggest piece on top still has the bone in it, otherwise it would be cut smaller:

IMG_20180307_095640.jpg

After 90 minutes this is what it looks like. It looks fine, but you know it isn't done if the meat isn't pulling off the bone or if you pick pieces out of the pot with tongs and they aren't falling apart if you apply too much pressure:

IMG_20180307_115637.jpg

I forgot to take a picture after it was shredded and seasoned (Head Country Championship Seasoning. No joke, it is the only way to go.) but here is the final pic of it bagged. Fits in a gallon ziploc bag for easy distribution:

IMG_20180307_132737.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Good video. I've been trying to sharpen my knives with a whetstone, but I suck with it. Been avoiding doing my nice knives in fear I'm going to fuck them up. Will try again this weekend after watching this video.

Side note, I have that exact sharpening stone and I soak it in that exact Ikea plastic thing he's using!
put masking tape or painters tape on your knives if you're scared of fucking up the spine area.

• 1Solidarity

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

He has an aged beef series worth watching as well. Now that we have a second fridge in the garage I'm hoping to get it started this weekend.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
DIY aged beef is terrifying to me.

Having an $$$ piece of beef hanging in a box in the fridge in my garage for a month sounds scary.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I got 3lbs of bottom round roast a few days ago. Dry rub of mesquite, jalepeno powder and homemade onion powder. Left it going in the sous vide for 30 hours @ 131. It was pretty good – I would say on-par with one of the better outcomes of my cooking sans sous vide…but nowhere close to the tri-tips I’ve been doing for 3 hours @ 131. I’m assuming it’s about 90% cut and 10% cooking time?

Anyways, the main reason I’m here is to get some more ideas for sides to serve with all the salmon & tri-tip we’ve been having since getting the sous vide. Low-effort ideas greatly appreciated. We’ve been doing a lot of stir fry veggies with dinner, as well as salads and baked/mashed potatoes. Coconut rice has been great with the fish as well, but we’re trying to cut back on the carbs, since it’s our go-to snack foods too.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Dry aging beef at home is fucking expensive. I mean... it's more expensive to buy at a steak house but you have to trim off A LOT of the outer layer to get to the edible portions and you have to do it with a big roast.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I got 3lbs of bottom round roast a few days ago. Dry rub of mesquite, jalepeno powder and homemade onion powder. Left it going in the sous vide for 30 hours @ 131. It was pretty good – I would say on-par with one of the better outcomes of my cooking sans sous vide…but nowhere close to the tri-tips I’ve been doing for 3 hours @ 131. I’m assuming it’s about 90% cut and 10% cooking time?

You assume correctly. Tri-tip is a totally different cut than rump roast. Tri-tip is basically a big steak, so cooking it to 131 is fine. Rump roast at 131 is going to be tough as shit. If you want that to be tender you need to cook it to close to 200 and the sous vide is a waste of time because you will get just as good a result in the crock pot in 8 hours.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You assume correctly. Tri-tip is a totally different cut than rump roast. Tri-tip is basically a big steak, so cooking it to 131 is fine. Rump roast at 131 is going to be tough as shit. If you want that to be tender you need to cook it to close to 200 and the sous vide is a waste of time because you will get just as good a result in the crock pot in 8 hours.

It was actually REALLY tender. It wasn't falling apart like it would in a crock pot, but I could cut it with a fork no problem. It just reminded me a little bit of cheap corned beef.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Dry aging beef at home is fucking expensive. I mean... it's more expensive to buy at a steak house but you have to trim off A LOT of the outer layer to get to the edible portions and you have to do it with a big roast.

I love DIY projects, especially if the carrot at the end of the stick seems worthy. He had what seemed like major problems during the process yet still had meat 'the butcher' couldn't complain about. I am still back and forth about setting up a system for it, or for at least a week or two. Keep seeing people driving around on motorcycles and it has been a seriously mild winter so getting the bike out sounds like a thing.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't really follow this thread, is this the right place to talk about how we doctor up ramen noodles? I always thought i was a weirdo, but lately I've been talking to people and found out lots of people seem to do weird stuff to it. I wanna find out what you guys do.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't really follow this thread, is this the right place to talk about how we doctor up ramen noodles? I always thought i was a weirdo, but lately I've been talking to people and found out lots of people seem to do weird stuff to it. I wanna find out what you guys do.
depends on what you're after, if it's about instant ramen, i'll help out, if it's about specifically jap ramen and broth @TJT would be your guy

right now if your instant ramen consumption is the 10c mauruchan stuff in stores... well you can always go better

imo, the best deal now, anywhere for great instant ramen is nissan damae, it's 75c a pack, cheaper than what i could find in asian grocers and amazing. again, you need the nissin damae, not the "top ramen" shit.

if you want a nice spy korean wheat instant noodle nongshim is standard, and in some walmarts too

currently the thing to do w/ korean noodles, is to get the super spicy samyang spicy chicken, you see lots of youtube challenges on it.

you want some thai noodles, mama brand is the one to get, you get that tom yum kinda kick

these are the brands i'll rotate w/, as far as tricking out ramen? just dump whatever imo.

for instance, i usually try to go healthy, so i'll try 2 eggs and boil a bowl of water. eggs'll be done in 4mins, i'll chop up a carrot and broccoli. i'll take the eggs out, pour water in and put in the carrots and broccoli, boil for 5mins then put in ramen for 3, and everything should be ready.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
depends on what you're after, if it's about instant ramen, i'll help out, if it's about specifically jap ramen and broth @TJT
if you want a nice spy korean wheat instant noodle nongshim is standard, and in some walmarts too
I vouch for nongshim as well.

I've put a little avocado in ramen before, mostly made the broth a little creamier and heartier.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
depends on what you're after, if it's about instant ramen, i'll help out

Just top ramen (maruchen or something like that). I haven't even tried anything else. Currently I put crackers, pringles, milk, turkey lunchmeat, avacado, and grilled jalapenos in mine. People I've been talking to do things like hot dogs, beef jerky, peanut butter, other types of chips (the chips are common), and one guy cracks an egg into it a minute before it's done cooking.

Out of all of those the peanut butter is the only one I truly don't get. Do yo do anything like that?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
All those sound disgusting. What kind of stoner bullshit is this?

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users