Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
was it bibigo?
large_ca8284fb-8773-40da-b966-619207b7b184.jpg

my korean friends use the plain cj brand korean bbq sauce

bibigo is like the premium version/restaurant of that

i don't know why my friends (korean)prefer the red version, maybe see if kroger has that? also did you just get "korean bbq" or like bulgogi sauce?

That was it actually, never noticed it before but saw it on Friday, I also got some Gojuchang of the same brand. My Korean gf told me it was a good brand but didn't elaborate.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That was it actually, never noticed it before but saw it on Friday, I also got some Gojuchang of the same brand. My Korean gf told me it was a good brand but didn't elaborate.
in a squeeze bottle? cuz i don't remember seeing a "tub" offered at kroger (i have dillions, subsidiary)

Hekotat

in a squeeze bottle? cuz i don't remember seeing a "tub" offered at kroger (i have dillions, subsidiary)

Yeah the Gojuchang was a squeeze bottle, they had a tub but it was a different brand. I'm ready to try the same recipe out with 36 hours in the sous vide then put in the smoker afterwards.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I dont understand the fascination with this pho shit. There is a supposedly really good one by us that everyone raves about so I went there at lunch one time and it was disappointing all around. Big bowl of watered down broth with noodles and a few pieces of beef. I had to add a 1/2 bottle of cock sauce to make it taste like anything.

Make yourself a good chicken soup,I use 2 whole chicken cut in 1/2 They are like $5 at kroger. I use left over chicken to make chicken salad the next day or whatever, kids love it with crackers. If you want beef broth, use beef shanks. Onion celery and carrot, fucking simple maybe some garlic curly parsley or any of that asian shit you want to add, like lemon grass?. Let that shit simmer down to intensify the flavor add fucking noodles of your choice and profit.

I just read its star anise, ginger and fish sauce. There is your leet secret to pho.
Yeah, pho is incredibly overrated. Had no shortage of asian-run Pho places in LA (dont ask me what kind of asian, obviously). Never had any that didnt remind me of dirty dishwater. Its a general problem with asian food -- they dont understand soup or desserts. Soups are always flavorless stuff floating in flavorless water, and desserts are always weird shit that doesnt belong in a dessert (hi, here is your tasty dessert made of beans)

Only good thing about pho is ordering it and pronouncing it "FOE" to trigger people around you.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
These a Korean-Mexican fusion spot near me called Tacorea and one of the meat options if bulgogi. I've never gotten it though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Made some uh. Chinese Potatoes last night. I don't know the name for them. But damn they are tasty. Get some spuds and cut them into long thin strips. Think like... noodle shape almost. Thinner than French fries. Soak them in room temperature water for about 30 minutes or so.

Then fry them up slightly so they're still a little a la dente in a wok or pan with habaneros or some other chili. Peanut oil and some soy sauce/chinese vinegar. Cook a little voy choy (thick stalk bok choy type vegetable) in a similar way with a lot of garlic too and have it on the side also.

Lanx Lanx do you know the name for these?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I went to the new Ippudo in SF on Saturday and we had fried noodles as our bar snack. Fantastic snack. It was seriously straight ramen noodles that were fried and salted. Never had anything like that. Then of course the ramen and pork belly buns were mind blowing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Marinating meat is mostly a waste of time, because the flavor doesn't actually penetrate and if you're cooking with a decent amount of heat, the marinade is just going to burn, especially if it's got sugar in it. People think they're making meat better and more tender by soaking it for hours in flavoring but they're not. I'm also just not a fan of dumping sugar on meat with the exception of ketchup on a burger or barbecue sauce in certain applications. Nothing ruins my night more than going to someone's house for a steak and them saying "It's been soaking in teriyaki for 8 hours!". Congratulations on ruining good steak.

The Secrets And Myths Of Marinades, Brinerades, And How Gashing Can Make Them Work Better

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Actually, without basting the kebabs, the flavour of the marinade was quite strong after cooking.

Did my meat just blow your mind?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Made some uh. Chinese Potatoes last night. I don't know the name for them. But damn they are tasty. Get some spuds and cut them into long thin strips. Think like... noodle shape almost. Thinner than French fries. Soak them in room temperature water for about 30 minutes or so.

Then fry them up slightly so they're still a little a la dente in a wok or pan with habaneros or some other chili. Peanut oil and some soy sauce/chinese vinegar. Cook a little voy choy (thick stalk bok choy type vegetable) in a similar way with a lot of garlic too and have it on the side also.

Lanx Lanx do you know the name for these?
the only thing even remotely potato i'm familiar w/ would be chinese daikon and i'm sure thats not it,

unless you're talking about the dish itself?
yuan_3d86cb4c12794fc4e2a8a9cb97fc343b.jpg

or did yours turn out like this?
56b4036d79119e336f6227cac21296ae--fried-potatoes-chinese-food.jpg

sichuan stir fried potatos, or sichuan spicy potatoes (Gan Bian Yangyu Si)

it's cool you even gots veggs like voy choy, do they have

choy sum
choy_sum.jpg

just blanch in water w/ a tablespoon of oil for a few mins then serve w/ a bit of oyster sauce, i'd call it my all time favorite veggie.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
the only thing even remotely potato i'm familiar w/ would be chinese daikon and i'm sure thats not it,

unless you're talking about the dish itself?
yuan_3d86cb4c12794fc4e2a8a9cb97fc343b.jpg

or did yours turn out like this?
56b4036d79119e336f6227cac21296ae--fried-potatoes-chinese-food.jpg

sichuan stir fried potatos, or sichuan spicy potatoes (Gan Bian Yangyu Si)

it's cool you even gots veggs like voy choy, do they have

choy sum
choy_sum.jpg

just blanch in water w/ a tablespoon of oil for a few mins then serve w/ a bit of oyster sauce, i'd call it my all time favorite veggie.

Definitely the Szichuan potato and they got fresh choy sum too. I'll try the blanch and oyster sauce next time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Actually, without basting the kebabs, the flavour of the marinade was quite strong after cooking.

Did my meat just blow your mind?

What the article says is that you don't need to soak it, it's just on the surface regardless of how long you leave it in there. You could have put it on right before you cooked it and gotten the same result.

Hekotat

Sous Vide/smoker experts, lend me your ears!

Looking to vide some ribs on memorial day weekend and trying to figure out how long I should smoke them afterwards and at what temp.

Also, I was thinking about leaving them unwrapped for maximum smokiness but unsure if this is wise because I assume it will dry them out. Thoughts?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Boiled live lobster for the first time ever. Came out great! Made some lobster rolls with it.

Hard part will be mastering the breaking down of the lobster to get all the meat. I got a nice cut from the edge of a shell

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Boiled live lobster for the first time ever. Came out great! Made some lobster rolls with it.

Hard part will be mastering the breaking down of the lobster to get all the meat. I got a nice cut from the edge of a shell
this is how i prep my lobsters, basically cantonese way, except i rip off the head shrimp style, idk why, cuz thats just how dad taught me, i'm pretty sure it's for presentation. But every cut he makes, the lobster meat comes all out.