Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just shitty luck I'm assuming. Both were always used within the depth markers. When the 2nd died last weekend it had been running for an hour and a half. New house since last use so probably not electrical.
maybe new house is the problem and you got some shitty electrical work done.

maybe just get one of these
1650b8010725f51bf38b48c296e459f9.png

Bastex Socket Tester with GFCI check. Receptacle Tester for Standard AC Outlets. Includes 7 Visual Indications and Wiring Legend. Automatic Electric Circuit Polarity Voltage Detector Breaker Finder
i saw my house inspector use it on every outlet, actually found 2 fault gfci outlets, it was promptly one of my first house purchases too. (even tho i know zero electrical and the inspector already did all the checks, i just have it around and use it when i was sorting out where my breakout box lines where going to)

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If the Annova ran for a while before shooting craps, there's really only one fault that would show that sounds plausible (open ground can bother a lot of electronics, while still allowing things to operate). Hot/Ground reversed is usually an INSTANT RED FLAG, aka "OH SHIT MY ANNOVA IS ON FIRE!" or "wait...was that a puff of smoke?!?". Everything else either would be obvious immediately (open hot and open neutral = "why isn't it turning on?") and the rest wouldn't likely bother it at all.

Just Googling around a bit, it seems like there have been A LOT of different issues with the Annovas. Everything from cords to fuses to poorly soldered connections.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If the Annova ran for a while before shooting craps, there's really only one fault that would show that sounds plausible (open ground can bother a lot of electronics, while still allowing things to operate). Hot/Ground reversed is usually an INSTANT RED FLAG, aka "OH SHIT MY ANNOVA IS ON FIRE!" or "wait...was that a puff of smoke?!?". Everything else either would be obvious immediately (open hot and open neutral = "why isn't it turning on?") and the rest wouldn't likely bother it at all.

Just Googling around a bit, it seems like there have been A LOT of different issues with the Annovas. Everything from cords to fuses to poorly soldered connections.
hey Erronius can i live a worry free electrical life just having that yellow pluggy thing around and popping it in outlets every so often?

So far i've been lucky w/ electricity, had a fuse blow out on a new furnace no idea why but i learned about 1$ fuses.

and i had a power strip blow cuz i plugged in my iron to it (it also had my htpc/tv running), i did it b4 at other apts (you basically have no outlets in apts, lol), guess it was just too much draw, well powerstrip did it's job, so no complaints.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
hey Erronius can i live a worry free electrical life just having that yellow pluggy thing around and popping it in outlets every so often?

I'm sorry; it's a compulsion. I literally can't help myself. It's like Tyen with P99 or EQ in a Browser

and i had a power strip blow cuz i plugged in my iron to it (it also had my htpc/tv running), i did it b4 at other apts (you basically have no outlets in apts, lol), guess it was just too much draw, well powerstrip did it's job, so no complaints.

Dunno what quality it was, but a lot of cheap ones have a tendency to fail-closed instead of failing open.

DAMNIT I DID IT AGAIN

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Made two Chef John recipes back to back the past couple of days. Both A+++ would recommend.

That potato salad is fukkin delicious, but you might expect that with the dressing being made out of bacon grease

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
maybe new house is the problem and you got some shitty electrical work done.

maybe just get one of these
1650b8010725f51bf38b48c296e459f9.png

Bastex Socket Tester with GFCI check. Receptacle Tester for Standard AC Outlets. Includes 7 Visual Indications and Wiring Legend. Automatic Electric Circuit Polarity Voltage Detector Breaker Finder
i saw my house inspector use it on every outlet, actually found 2 fault gfci outlets, it was promptly one of my first house purchases too. (even tho i know zero electrical and the inspector already did all the checks, i just have it around and use it when i was sorting out where my breakout box lines where going to)

You can also test GFCI's by plugging an extension cord into them and dipping the other end in water, but I imagine some people would think that's a bad idea. It works though, they pop instantly and that's how I check them at my stock water tanks after a heifer got electrocuted by a faulty heater.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Was in Montreal on the weekend and had a most gluttonous meal at Au Pied de Cochon.

It included "Duck in a Can" where they sous vide a bunch of amazing things (duck breast, foie gras, cabbage, onions ...) and dump it on toast.

2622913197_bffe7e9a1e.jpg

Also got into a plate of foie gras poutine (fries, cheese curds, gravy, foie gras) that was insanely wonderful.

I'm still daydreaming of this stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Foie gras is one food snobby item that I cannot get down with. Think it's disgusting. I don't really like any of the "spreadable" meats. Foie gras, pâté, bone marrow. Shit is gross.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Foie gras is one food snobby item that I cannot get down with. Think it's disgusting. I don't really like any of the "spreadable" meats. Foie gras, pâté, bone marrow. Shit is gross.
I like pâté, I love bone marrow (though my guts don't like it...), but I just don't really care for foie gras.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
are you disgusted by the texture or the forced feeding?

Of course me being asian i've eaten every animal innard except eyes, and have had my fair share of chicken/duck liver canton style. Having had Foie Gras for the first time a few years back, eh, it was actually hard to stomach.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just can't get down with anything to do with liver, even a delicious banh mi makes me second guess myself because I know there's pate in there.