Gravy's Cooking Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Saw one guy in an article say he preferred the texture he got when he stuck the bacon in while the oven was still preheating. I tried it and I agree. Which also makes it even more convenient!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just cook the bacon on a panini press or a george forman, you get those nice wavey textures for presentation.

hmmm i think i might want a new panini press, mines old and ugly, but still going pretty strong.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Who gives a hoot what it looks like?
womyn and faggy guys eat with their eyes
maxresdefault.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Saw at grocery store these tiny deep fryers. Kinda debating grabbing one for some small side items, not doing whole fry baskets or anything.

Zapatta Zapatta costco has spam on sale and the derail has me hungering to try again. Anyone have a list of a few easy tasty recipies to do with it?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The jalapeno Spam is the best one, in my opinion, but Costco/BJs only sells the regular.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Ya, this is the model I got directly from them, for a really good price:

FoodSaver® Canada | The #1 Vacuum Sealing System

Ordered that same one when it was on sale and got the same freebie marinate container as well as ordering the 4 pack of tupperware style and mason jar sealing kit. Showed up with the containers and not the damn vacuum sealer. Been arguing with customer service about not getting the sealer but it's pretty damn obvious that when the shipping invoice shows the packing slip as under one pound and the dimensions of the box being so small. Giving them til Wednesday to make it right or just going to do a charge back.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
That sucks, hopefully they get it right. Like this sealer better than the one I have in Oregon.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Made duck confit with the sous vide using 4 leg quarters and it came out really well after 36 hours in the bath at 155. Did each quarter in it's own sealed bag so have 3 more easy solo dinners over the next couple weeks when the girls are out for their sports/dance/band. Plus got a couple ounces of duck fat from the vacuum bag from the first one so will have some tasty roasted tossed vegetables and potatoes in the future as well. Going to do my lunch meal prep tomorrow with the sous vide using a couple brined chicken breasts, a little apprehensive cooking poultry to only 145 but the explanation of the long bath at 4 hours made sense.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My first time with chicken at 145 I was a bit skeptical but came out really really good.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Had my second Anova break on me the same way as the first. The display just starts freaking out and it beeps and stops. Both units were used less than 15 times before they died. I was already pretty disappointed with how they struggled to heat water. Is the joule super dependent on the app like it looks to be in all the advertisements?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had my second Anova break on me the same way as the first. The display just starts freaking out and it beeps and stops. Both units were used less than 15 times before they died. I was already pretty disappointed with how they struggled to heat water. Is the joule super dependent on the app like it looks to be in all the advertisements?
if you had two break...
1. youre cursed
2. user error
3. your electrical is fucked

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Did you get both from the same place? I have 2 that I've used way more than 15 times on both.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Just shitty luck I'm assuming. Both were always used within the depth markers. When the 2nd died last weekend it had been running for an hour and a half. New house since last use so probably not electrical.