Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
those eggs and bacon look nice.

late to this thread. nice recipes here.

my wife loves my cooking, and after seeing raves in here -and elsewhere - about sous vide cooking, i figured to give it a shot.. grabbed one from amazon (anova brand)

my initial reaction from using it for the first time last night...meh-it worked. i made steaks for the family (3 strip steaks and a ribeye for me) my youngest son said it didn't taste as good as normal. i thought it came out a bit blander than normal (and this was with prepping the steaks exactly the same way i normally do- decent sprinkle of kosher salt let sit for ~20 minutes --and that is it. the steaks were perfectly cooked (130) and i seared the steaks on my cast iron griddle for about a minute a side, but something just did not taste the same--btw normally i cook the steaks to 133 on the grill.

after experiencing the sous vide which took 2 hours to cook the steaks....i'll stick to my normal way of cooking steaks...grill(or kamado) to 400. 6 minutes flip 6 minutes, check temp usually done at that time, eat in 15 minutes. total cook time about 30/45 minutes from pellet grill on/lighting kamado. to eating. (if using grill grates, its 3 minutes, turn 45 3 minutes, flip, 3 minutes turn 45 3 minutes check temp.
did you use foodsaver or waterdisplacement ziploc bags?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Saw some Keto talk in here, figured I'd post this simple pizza crust recipe.

Doesn't get much more basic than this, but boy is it delicious!

Recipe: Thin and Crispy Low Carb Pizza Crust From Netrition.com.

Made it for my dad who is doing keto to manage his diabetes. I've had better crusts with alternative flours and whatnot, but you can't go wrong with cheese on cheese pizza action.

fyi there's a dedicated keto thread as of a few months ago :)The Ketogenic Diet/Recipe Thread

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
after experiencing the sous vide which took 2 hours to cook the steaks....i'll stick to my normal way of cooking steaks...grill(or kamado) to 400. 6 minutes flip 6 minutes, check temp usually done at that time, eat in 15 minutes. total cook time about 30/45 minutes from pellet grill on/lighting kamado. to eating. (if using grill grates, its 3 minutes, turn 45 3 minutes, flip, 3 minutes turn 45 3 minutes check temp.

I'm with you 100%. Sous Vide lets you cook a steak pretty well with no skill, but if you just actually learn how to grill steaks, you can get equal or better results without bringing out the science gadget and wasting 2 hours. I have an Annova that I bought on prime day because it was half price but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. I'm sure I will use it for some things, but I'm not cooking steaks that way.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah count me out on the sous vide thing too. To me it just screams hipster yuppy steaks. I can do steaks in like 10-12 min on grille streight from package. Perfect med/med rare, plus the added flavor of grill.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There are benefits. I've used it on cheap cuts of roast, let is soak for a couple days, and then been able to finish it very quickly for the most tender meat in the world. It's also great to cook a whole chicken, and them make soup from the stock that comes out of the bag. The sous vide has been a very useful thing for me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
imo sous vide for steak is only good for tough cuts like chuck/round/flank to break down that collagen, which with a regular grill is impossible.

Sure, if you're super bad at the grill or using a cast iron pan etc, sous vide a rib eye will give you exact science of how a medium/medium rare steak SHOULD taste like.

But if you're jonny on the spot with the grill, eh

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Nothing tastes quite like a grilled steak. That said, I've had delicious steaks out of the sous vide with a sear in the pan or the searzall. We usually grill 'em if it's not disgusting out. I make chicken breasts in the sous vide almost weekly for my lunches. It keeps the white meat so nice and juicy, even after microwaving it up at work.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
sous vide for steak is only good for tough cuts like chuck/round/flank to break down that collagen, which with a regular grill is impossible

I'm with you on chuck and round, but flank steak is great grilled. You just have to slice it across the grain.

SoyMarinated-Flank-Steak-600x749.jpg

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
i thought it came out a bit blander than normal (and this was with prepping the steaks exactly the same way i normally do- decent sprinkle of kosher salt let sit for ~20 minutes --and that is it. the steaks were perfectly cooked (130) and i seared the steaks on my cast iron griddle for about a minute a side, but something just did not taste the same--btw normally i cook the steaks to 133 on the grill.

you need to add more flavour/aromatics, especially to steak. My way of doing sous vide steaks if I have the time is to sous vide them, chill in icebath, refridgerate then get the grill super hot, and sear for 1 minute either side. You get a perfect sear and edge to edge doneness meat.

Sous Vide is really good for tougher cheaper cuts of meat. I got mine 3 years ago and cook EVERY meal with it, but then again all my meals are meat because I eat 190g protein a day

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
These pork sausages are European, and they're screaming because they heard the Muslims are coming.

• 1Worf

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Today’s smoking session. Jalapeños, cream cheese, seasoned chicken with rub, bacon wrapped, seasoned final wraps with the McCormick’s.

View attachment 174387View attachment 174388View attachment 174389

@Olebass still waiting on my ring.

Njals Njals Protip for when you get your smoker. Wrap the top sliding grease tray with foil, covering the holes doesn’t change anything with heat or flavor. Makes cleaning easy, you just unwrap and toss once it has too much buildup. Other wise you’ll be cleaning and scraping the tray itself.

View attachment 174390

@Zapatta I picked up some Tilamook sharp cheddar, will do that later this week or next weekend and report back. How long you smoke it for?

Finally pulled the trigger and got the Daniel Boone from Sportsman and put it together tonight. They must have changed the grease tray as it was only one solid thick piece with no holes and it was packed slightly differently from their installation video (handle is in it's own packed area now instead of attached inside). Wrapped the top of the grease tray minus the exit hole just the same. Have it primed and ready to go tomorrow morning just hoping it isn't another 29 degree morning as the they were out of thermal insulators. I've got an 8 pound brisket rubbed down and in the fridge to smoke all day tomorrow and a 12 pound pork belly cut into 4 chunks with 2 different types of cures on it to make some bacon for next weekend. Going to do two with apple pellets and two with mesquite. Looking forward to thanksgiving with this thing.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have 60 people coming for lunch on Sunday. Making five kinds of Indian sauces/dishes, like butter chicken and such, and about five pounds of rice. Also making naan bread, and an Indian grape and yogurt dessert. Making it all tomorrow, having it in crock pots for Sunday lunch. Indian seemed like a good idea, will report back.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
29 degrees won't bother it much. It was literally -20F when I did my first cook on my Yoder last year and it got the job done.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have 60 people coming for lunch on Sunday. Making five kinds of Indian sauces/dishes, like butter chicken and such, and about five pounds of rice. Also making naan bread, and an Indian grape and yogurt dessert. Making it all tomorrow, having it in crock pots for Sunday lunch. Indian seemed like a good idea, will report back.
5lbs of rice, uncooked?

i've used a whole 15lb bag of rice for 40-50ish asians, you might want to re-check that

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
First attempt at ribs on the pellet smoker. Turned out fucking awesome. Great smoky flavor and a nice long lasting spicy heat to them. I love this thing.

88578EB3-80EC-44CA-BD8D-66872D71E0E9.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Pellet smokers are awesome. Made a great brisket even with a rookie mistake (turned it off to refill pellets at the halfway point causing the heat to spike for a bit). Woke up at 4 and took the brisket out of the fridge and moved the smoker from the garage to the backyard. Started it up and put the brisket on right about 5am and it finished up around 6pm with the grill at 225 the whole time. While it rested sliced up a white onion and grabbed a jar of bread and butter pickles my buddy made. Made sandwiches for the kids on the whitest of white bread (first time buying that in years but that is how they always get it when we are in TX so wanted to keep it the same for them while I had it straight with a bunch of the onions and a splash of vinegar). Vacuum sealed about a quarter of it to freeze and made individual lunches for next week for all of us with the rest. Thinking if I started it the night before at like 150-165 and cranked it up in the morning I could get a thicker red smoke ring around it and even better flavor. Can't wait to try out pretty much every cut of meat, poultry, pork and lamb on it with multiple types of wood

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users