Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pellet smokers are awesome. Made a great brisket even with a rookie mistake (turned it off to refill pellets at the halfway point causing the heat to spike for a bit). Woke up at 4 and took the brisket out of the fridge and moved the smoker from the garage to the backyard. Started it up and put the brisket on right about 5am and it finished up around 6pm with the grill at 225 the whole time. While it rested sliced up a white onion and grabbed a jar of bread and butter pickles my buddy made. Made sandwiches for the kids on the whitest of white bread (first time buying that in years but that is how they always get it when we are in TX so wanted to keep it the same for them while I had it straight with a bunch of the onions and a splash of vinegar). Vacuum sealed about a quarter of it to freeze and made individual lunches for next week for all of us with the rest. Thinking if I started it the night before at like 150-165 and cranked it up in the morning I could get a thicker red smoke ring around it and even better flavor. Can't wait to try out pretty much every cut of meat, poultry, pork and lamb on it with multiple types of wood

Curious why you turned it off to refill the pellets? You have the Daniel Boone, you should be able to just open it while it’s running and dump more in?

Agree with how awesome it is. Every single thing I’ve cooked on it has turned out great on the first attempt. Best purchase I’ve made in years.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know why but the only couple of "smoked" smell/flavors that I find enjoyable are smoked paprika, smoked almonds, and especially the smoked salt that's at the bottom of a bag of Winco Self-service smoked almonds.

Everything else either brings to mind cancer or something that was recently on fire. Heh, clearly I'm the minority.

Smoked Paprika is *THE* smell/taste of barbecue sauce for me. That sprinkled on chicken or something and I'm a happy camper. Sure, some true barbecue with sweetness and stickiness is better; but really what ISN'T better with added sugar?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know why but the only couple of "smoked" smell/flavors that I find enjoyable are smoked paprika, smoked almonds, and especially the smoked salt that's at the bottom of a bag of Winco Self-service smoked almonds.

Everything else either brings to mind cancer or something that was recently on fire. Heh, clearly I'm the minority.

Smoked Paprika is *THE* smell/taste of barbecue sauce for me. That sprinkled on chicken or something and I'm a happy camper. Sure, some true barbecue with sweetness and stickiness is better; but really what ISN'T better with added sugar?

Have you had anything from a green egg or a pellet smoker?

I thought all smoked food tasted like camp fires until I had some meats off a green egg. I just hadn’t had any good stuff yet. There’s a few people at work who said they didn’t like smoked foods, gave them some of my stuff from the pellet smoker and they were shocked and loved it.

Seasoning makes it work better too of course. Those ribs I posted earlier has smoked paprika in the rub I made.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They aren't Asians that are coming. I have back up rice, but I'll probably cook ten pounds to start now that you mention it.
i would do a whole 15lbs, is it basmati rice? it won't fluff and expand that much, so you might actually need more than if you were to use jasmine/short grain.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Curious why you turned it off to refill the pellets? You have the Daniel Boone, you should be able to just open it while it’s running and dump more in?

Agree with how awesome it is. Every single thing I’ve cooked on it has turned out great on the first attempt. Best purchase I’ve made in years.

I'm going to go with lack of sleep for going full retard. Read the little disclaimer about it must be closed while grill is on and just flipped it without thinking.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
You made another rookie mistake by posting about brisket without including a picture of it!

I should of taken one right after slicing. This is right before making sandwiches for the kids lunch and packing 5 tupper wares for me.

brisket.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
i would do a whole 15lbs, is it basmati rice? it won't fluff and expand that much, so you might actually need more than if you were to use jasmine/short grain.

I did a whole 15 pounds, and have just enough left over to make rice pudding tonight.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I suck at taking care of cast iron, so I just tried finsihing a sous vide ribeye under the broiler.

Meh. It turned out okayish but not great.

Maybe I should try just a regular non-stick frying pan.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I suck at taking care of cast iron, so I just tried finsihing a sous vide ribeye under the broiler.

o_O Are you cooking a lot of tomato or vinegar based items in them? letting them soak for days on end? leaving them in the oven for the self cleaning cycle? using over lots of big open fires? Taking the brillo pad to them? Well stop that. Boom, you're 1000% times better at taking care of them.

If not, then care and feeding of cast iron is pretty easy. Don't get me wrong, you CAN go super anal about what type of oil to season with, how many times a decade your iron touches water; etc etc.

But once you get a decent finish on them its just a matter of a quick wipe out, or dunk in suds with a plastic scrubby, rinse, and onto a burner to dry. maybe once a year give it a light overall coat of oil (I use vegi oil since I don't feel like buying special oil only for this), then throw it in the oven upside down for 3-4 hrs.

The only Anal thing with cast iron that I 100% approve of is to take a grinder/sander to the inside when it's new and not seasoned yet. The difference between a finished inside and the standard pebbly cast iron texture is night and day, even before seasoning.

WC_03.30.16.png

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
o_O Are you cooking a lot of tomato or vinegar based items in them? letting them soak for days on end? leaving them in the oven for the self cleaning cycle? using over lots of big open fires? Taking the brillo pad to them? Well stop that. Boom, you're 1000% times better at taking care of them.

If not, then care and feeding of cast iron is pretty easy. Don't get me wrong, you CAN go super anal about what type of oil to season with, how many times a decade your iron touches water; etc etc.

But once you get a decent finish on them its just a matter of a quick wipe out, or dunk in suds with a plastic scrubby, rinse, and onto a burner to dry. maybe once a year give it a light overall coat of oil (I use vegi oil since I don't feel like buying special oil only for this), then throw it in the oven upside down for 3-4 hrs.

The only Anal thing with cast iron that I 100% approve of is to take a grinder/sander to the inside when it's new and not seasoned yet. The difference between a finished inside and the standard pebbly cast iron texture is night and day, even before seasoning.

View attachment 179573

I've never heard or thought of that. Would you say it's worth investing in a new cast iron pan for the smooth surface alone? Going to be keeping the old one regardless. Sucker is a couple decades old and well seasoned.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't buy a 2nd of the same shape/size, no. Not unless you're multitask cooking a lot and already use (or wish you had) multiple pans. Just keep this in mind the next time something "goes wrong" and you feel you need to reset the pan.

in Ye Olden Days, they got cast, then milled stainless steel smooth before being sold. A Dremel or drill with a grinding wheel can get you there, or if you're SUPER lazy like me, an orbital/random sander (I only sanded the bottom, didn't care about the sides.)

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've never heard or thought of that. Would you say it's worth investing in a new cast iron pan for the smooth surface alone? Going to be keeping the old one regardless. Sucker is a couple decades old and well seasoned.
good will

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Best non-stick pans in the business. No need for an expensive pans. I've tried a whole lot and these are great.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Isn't one of the problems with non-stick surfaces that you don't want to use them on high heat because the chemicals used to make the surface non-stick, start leeching into your food?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I get my non stick from my local GFS, the big 12" ones are like $30 and great for like 2 yrs of constant use. They have some smaller ones too we use for eggs and shit.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Isn't one of the problems with non-stick surfaces that you don't want to use them on high heat because the chemicals used to make the surface non-stick, start leeching into your food?

As I understand it, the biggest issue with non-stick pans in the past was PFOA. Almost all quality non-stick pans these days, including the one I linked, use a PFOA-free PTFE coating.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

It's not that it's in the food. You can scrape the coating off if you use metal utensils, but it doesn't hurt you to eat it. In early non-stick pans there was an acid that was carcinogenic in the coating that could become aerosolized and be inhaled while cooking, but that was not from cooking at high heat so much as forgetting to turn your burner off and getting it so hot the coating melts which is hotter than you would normally cook. It was also a tiny amount and it's unlikely anyone ever got cancer from it unless they were burning up pans every day or something. That chemical isn't used anymore, so the only real downside to non-stick pans now is that the surface doesn't last long, especially if you use metal utensils on them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user