Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
That burrata? I can never get burrata to behave. Can never get rid of enough of the liquid to not make the dough all soggy and shitty.

Slices of buffalo mozzarella with another cheese (forget the name).

Off topic: I bought some of the big name, mass produced mozzarella from the store the other day, and it tasted like nothing. It had zero flavor.

I'm going to try making my own cheese some day.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've made my own mozz many times(and failed many times as well). # 1 thing is to make sure you get good rennet. Once I found the good stuff, it's worked every time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Slices of buffalo mozzarella with another cheese (forget the name).

Off topic: I bought some of the big name, mass produced mozzarella from the store the other day, and it tasted like nothing. It had zero flavor.

I'm going to try making my own cheese some day.

Pretty sure smegma based cheese is not going to end well.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This isn't really cooking, but it does involve everyone's favorite cooking device, the Sous Vide!

I was talking about having a Sous Vide with a friend of mine some time last year. Turns out he bought one (we never talked about it), but today he was mentioning that he loves Hot Pockets. He usually has them a few times every month. He wanted to try something a little different, though, so he put them in the sous vide instead of the microwave. 165 degrees for 1 hour. He said they came out "easily 500% better" than from the microwave.

Anything over 2 hours and they get too soggy from the juices. And anything below 160 and the texture isn't quite right.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This isn't really cooking, but it does involve everyone's favorite cooking device, the Sous Vide!

I was talking about having a Sous Vide with a friend of mine some time last year. Turns out he bought one (we never talked about it), but today he was mentioning that he loves Hot Pockets. He usually has them a few times every month. He wanted to try something a little different, though, so he put them in the sous vide instead of the microwave. 165 degrees for 1 hour. He said they came out "easily 500% better" than from the microwave.

Anything over 2 hours and they get too soggy from the juices. And anything below 160 and the texture isn't quite right.

Enjoy!
Sous vide is so cheap, even the Anova brand is 65 bucks w/ bluetooth too.

I'm pretty sure it's cuz of all the chinese knockoffs that came out this year, but these should make good last minute presents and a brand name.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Im not sure why anyone would ever sous vide something that is in a crust. How would the crust ever crisp?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Enjoy!

Why don't you just put them in the oven? Sous vide for hot pockets? The fuck?

Tell him to put bagel bites and pizza rolls in there next.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Going to break in the new dutch oven this weekend with Gordon Ramsay's Beef n Ale stew, my body is ready.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Cleaning some of last year's fruit out of the freezer tonight, made tart cherry jam. Included lemons and some star anise. I'm listening to can's sealing in the kitchen every couple of minute, and it is bloody delicious. Had some on home made bread already.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i just leave my stone in the oven. that way i know where it is and i just need to wipe it down and it is clean.

today i am doing prime rib via sous vide with a shallot wine sauce, honey maple carrots and oven roasted fingerling potatoes (slice in half, pour 1/4 cup melted butter over, sprinkle with spice mixture, oven at 350 for 45 minutes). have a 3 rib roast in the bag, in the water bath at 132 degrees- for 10hrs will finish the roast with a torch to brown the outside. the wine for dinner will be a 2014 whitehall lane winery merlot.

i have had a tilt head kitchenaid mixer for about 30 years, thing is a BEAST(i do have to get a new grinder attachment for it, mine is cracked) it just works.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
Edit, too salty and not chopped fine enough. Going to try making this again, I'll update the recipe.
OK here's a strange one. This is something that my grandmother used to make and my aunt has been making it and giving jars of it to us for Christmas for the last 20+ years. It always gets eaten unlike some of her other creations (quince butter). I have never made it but I picked up the recipe on Thanksgiving and just gave it a try.

Chicago Hots is something like a chili pepper relish, it's not spicy hot. It can be eaten plain, but more likely you dump it over a brick of cream cheese and scoop it up with crackers, Triscuits are the traditional choice.

IMG_20181219_092247427_HDR.jpg

I used 2 red bell peppers and 4 fresno chiles, they weren't too spicy. I didn't have dried mustard seeds so I used a very seedy type of mustard that came from Trader Joe's. It's just being brought to a boil now and I'm getting ready to can 3 quarts. We'll see if it turns out like my aunt's.

Code:
Chicago Hots

Betty's Famous recipe

Ingredients

8c Tomatoes cut fine

1c Salt

2c Sugar

2c Onions cut fine

1/2c Mustard seed

3c Celery cut fine

2 each Red and Green pepper cut fine

1qt Cider vinegar

Directions

1. Combine tomatoes and salt and let stand overnight.

2. Drain tomatoes well and add rest of ingredients in a large pot.

2. Heat to boil and can.

edit 1. Yield was about 4 quarts and I dumped maybe 2 quarts of watery liquor. I'm wondering if I should have rinsed the salt out of the tomatoes. I've talked to my aunt about how she makes this recipe. I have canned it into 3 quart jars and one pint jar, going to process in boiling water for an hour to be totally safe. Pint jars would be better for typical use, and I would use them if I was giving this as a gift, but this is just an experiment at this point.

IMG_20181219_110049293.jpg

Last edited:

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I mean, it sounds like the relish you put on hotdogs, and there are similar Chicago relish recipes. But I don't think I've heard of eating it over cream cheese? But I do know folks who do that with jalepeno jam over cream cheese w/crackers, so I guess it's in the same realm....

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Made GR's Beef n Ale stew last night, so fucking good.

I'm going to work on making it less watery next time, maybe add a roux to it or something. Any suggestions?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First sous vide ever currently cooking... couple of chuck roasts from our cow will be the main course for dinner that we are hosting tomorrow. They'll be done in about 24 hours...

• 1Like